First AR: build or buy?

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
renovatio
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by renovatio » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:50 pm

I have about $750 to spend on an AR. It will be my first. I like magpul flip up sights and stocks. I don't know enough about other components to know what kind of barrel, upper, or lower I want. Wal Mart has the DPMS sportical AR for under $600 right now. Would I be better off buying that and upgrading what I want, or building my own? If building, can someone that has a lot of AR experience and knows the market right now make some recommendations on components in my price range? There's a good chance I'll have this gun for the next 5-10 years so any help is appreciated.
We have learned better than that, and know it more, for it is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. -C.S. Lewis

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times

Re: First AR: build or buy?

Post by Livewire » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:53 pm

With all the help that you can get from the guys on here I say you should build it.

I like building my own, it make sit seem more like it's mine than the one I bought.

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:56 pm

Build I just picked up a stripped lower for 70 some can be found cheaper
Add this lower kit (it has all the magpul upgrades) palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/moe-lower-build-kit.html
Then you have to find an upper complete ones with bcg and charging handle can be found for around 400. So for the same 600 not only do you get all the upgrades you want but you learn a lot about how the gun works and for me the fact of making it my own.
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ian » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:07 pm

I bought my first one and had my regrets, also your left with alot of extra parts if you decide to change things on it. Which will make you want to build another.
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:24 pm

I would say build insofar as building your lower and slapping on a complete upper half.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

SpookyPistolero
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SpookyPistolero » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Whootsinator wrote:I would say build insofar as building your lower and slapping on a complete upper half.
If you're going to 'build' on your first, then this is the only way to go. There's more to screw up than you'd imagine.

I would implore you to just save the little more and pick up a Colt 6920. The magpul version isn't much more than the base model and has the magpul sights and furniture. Then you'll have a stick you know you can trust, and you won't be wasting valuable shooting/training time trying to diagnose oddball problems. Then youll realize the m4 is all that and a bag of potato chips, sell all your other (now inferior) long arms, buy ammo like its going out of style, and become totally ninja.
:llama:
You better call Kenny Loggins. Cause you're in the danger zone.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:39 pm

SpookyPistolero wrote:
Whootsinator wrote:I would say build insofar as building your lower and slapping on a complete upper half.
If you're going to 'build' on your first, then this is the only way to go. There's more to screw up than you'd imagine.

I would implore you to just save the little more and pick up a Colt 6920. The magpul version isn't much more than the base model and has the magpul sights and furniture. Then you'll have a stick you know you can trust, and you won't be wasting valuable shooting/training time trying to diagnose oddball problems. Then youll realize the m4 is all that and a bag of potato chips, sell all your other (now inferior) long arms, buy ammo like its going out of style, and become totally ninja.
:llama:

Sounds like a proper plan for success, though it could be modified a little a bit.... Unless you can get the Colt for super cheap, or you just want a Colt, I think you pay an unnecessary premium to have a pony on your rifle.

SpookyPistolero
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SpookyPistolero » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:22 pm

Whootsinator wrote: Sounds like a proper plan for success, though it could be modified a little a bit.... Unless you can get the Colt for super cheap, or you just want a Colt, I think you pay an unnecessary premium to have a pony on your rifle.
I don't have a brand attachment, but these days I don't think you can get a DD/BCM for less than a 6920? Of course I'm sure you could shop around, especially if you're willing to go used. Maybe an lmt can be had, I don't know their pricing off the top of my head. Plus the 6920 is usually more readily available, at a local brick and mortar.

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:23 pm

buy an ak or give me the $750 and ill kick you in the nuts....either one is better than an ar

funny but true

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:24 pm

SNL wrote:buy an ak or give me the $750 and ill kick you in the nuts....either one is better than an ar

funny but true

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:27 pm

SNL wrote:buy an ak or give me the $750 and ill kick you in the nuts....either one is better than an ar

funny but true

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:30 pm

hahahahahahahaha

SpookyPistolero
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SpookyPistolero » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:34 pm

Here's a plausible bargain route though if you can wait till things are in stock. I'm sure you can find something similar that's used though if you troll the forums.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Stan ... r-16lw.htm

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/co ... &key=LWR-C

Then you just need furniture and a bcg, which should add about $200. That saves you about $100 vs the 6920, but that doesn't factor in shipping. Then there's the waiting! Haha, the worst part.

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:40 pm

oh yea, assuming its still for sale.....if you buy spookys 5.45 gun it will save you the difference in price after a few thousand rounds...and fully pay for itself after multi thousands....just sayin

renovatio
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by renovatio » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:23 pm

SNL wrote:oh yea, assuming its still for sale.....if you buy spookys 5.45 gun it will save you the difference in price after a few thousand rounds...and fully pay for itself after multi thousands....just sayin
I have no idea what gun you're talking about, but if the ammo is cheaper I'm interested. What kind of price difference?

Thanks for the tips everyone, keep em coming! Should be picking this up in the next couple weeks.
We have learned better than that, and know it more, for it is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. -C.S. Lewis

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Ar-Rob
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Ar-Rob » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:12 am

it is starting to seem like 4 years ago when AR parts and rifles where drying up and prices were going thru the roof.I wonder why?.......lol
scorpionmain wrote:I've heard "Rob is a dick"
Rem700 wrote:Rob is a dick
Marcus wrote:Rob can be such a dick

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:50 am

Best gun salesman in the world....Obama

drewhenderson13
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 4 times

Post by drewhenderson13 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:07 pm

Sorry, my 5.45 has been traded.

I vote build.

You can build a lower with magpul furniture for $200-250 (depending on cost of stripped lower), buy a spikes upper from aim for $500, magpul flip up rear sight for $50, and a magazine for $5-10 (please buy more than 1 though). Thats $750-800... Close enough to $750.

Or you can buy a dpms sportical for $600 plus tax, then spend $160ish on magpul furniture and sight and still spend $750-800. oh yeah, and you can't use a magpul front sight on the sportical gas block, so you will have to get a suitable front sight for that too.

Spikes is a way better upper and the barrel is chrome lined. Or you can spend a little less on a palmetto state armory upper. I have no personal experience with the palmetto uppers but I hear they are great.
The gun is a tool, you are the weapon.

325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.

Post by 325MOUTguru » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:52 pm

Build it.
It's the only way to get the parts you want without later selling off those you don't.

FWIW both of ours are "Frankensticks".

burn360
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by burn360 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:21 pm

I say build. I just got done building mine with full magpul furnature for under $600 all new parts
Hard Core Wild Banshee Style!!!!!

renovatio
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by renovatio » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:33 pm

burn360 wrote:I say build. I just got done building mine with full magpul furnature for under $600 all new parts
Details?

burn360
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by burn360 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Plumcrazy lower, DPMS Sportical upper, and magpul forend grip and stock.

burn360
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by burn360 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:51 pm

Then sell the tapco (crapco) crap you take off the plumcrazy for $5

reverend dreed

Post by reverend dreed » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:31 pm

i always said id buy a ar instead of build on because i know nothing about them, but today i picked up my complete lower to start to build one. with the stuff i have on my order list total cost is gonna be 527 dollars for the complete basic ar. Which is what i want a basic iron sighted range toy. It will never be a go to gun for home invasion or shtf i have other things for that.

Return to “AR-15”