Del-Ton

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
EH91KY
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Del-Ton

Post by EH91KY » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:12 pm

I'll soon be in the market for an AR-15 and after doing some homework I have seen no reason not to buy a Del-Ton. I've heard many great things about them and a lot of people attempting to put them down and failing at it. The guys who seem to put them down have no argument and only do so to say how much better their AR is. You get what you pay for is NOT a valid argument. From my understanding there are only a few manufacturers that produce AR parts, so no matter what you buy the rifles are all comparable.

-I'm not interested in building a rifle at this point in my life.
-A 1 in 9 Twist is fine with me
-Flat top is fine with me. I'll most likely get a red dot anyway.

NUTNFANCY doesn't seem to have a problem with them

All that being said I'm planning on getting the Echo 316 MOE. Basically what I'm wanting to know is what do you like or dislike about this rifle mechanically and why. I'm looking for informative posts here because all I've seen are those who own or have shot Del-Tons and have little to no complaints, those who are butt hurt because they paid a few hundred for no extra quality, and finally those who own the Corvette of Ar's who just like to pick on the Camaro Ar's if you get my drift.
Al Capone tried to kill my uncle on Valentines Day, He failed. Survival is in my blood.

Dead-OnSniperService
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Del-Ton

Post by Dead-OnSniperService » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:15 pm

My brother has one I have done quite a bit of work to, all upgrades, no repairs, seems to be a well build solid rifle, and so far always goes bang when you pull the trigger. I wouldn't hesitate to have one
WLJ wrote:Keep logic out of this
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Livewire wrote:Pretty sure it's because you're not hitting her enough.

Ar-Rob
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Ar-Rob » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:18 pm

get what makes you happy,there is a few places to stay away from because of quality issues or lack of but the majority of places are good
scorpionmain wrote:I've heard "Rob is a dick"
Rem700 wrote:Rob is a dick
Marcus wrote:Rob can be such a dick

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Del-Ton

Post by ssracer » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:19 pm

Not quite on the "only a few manufacturers of parts. There ARE only a handful of companies that make the raw forgings for things like uppers and lowers. Those are then sold and the end company either performs the milling themselves or send it out to another company to be milled and have their name put on it. The majority of stripped uppers and lowers are milled to spec and only really differ on markings and slightly modified additional features.

The rest of the parts of the rifle are all over the map as far as who makes them and how good the QC is.

I have no experience with anything from Del-Ton, just trying clarify a bit.

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Dustin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:24 pm

I have a delton lower. That i bought complete. It did need a little work on the trigger. But it was no worse than any others. No problems out of the lower. I would buy another one again.
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:29 pm

I have a delton upper. 1:7 twist chrome lined. I think I gave 400 complete with bcg and charging handle. I have about 1000 rounds through it and have used many different optics and scopes. This thing is well built and has tight clearances. The pins are all snug. I have never had any malfunction shooting dirty steal, m193, m885, and match grade ammo

Mine will eat anything and it groups very well.
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:34 pm

Had a barrel I got from them, but decided I did not need a 20" AR build and sold it to someone local here. Still have a DTI lower that I put together. Went together well, no problems with the quality that I could tell.

No real experience with a complete product from them.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Livewire » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:13 pm

I've got a del ton that I bought complete and it's been a fine rifle. I also have an M4gery upper on one of my builds. They both have a great finish and all the components fit well. My only complaint is there is just a little slop in the rifle at the front take down pin. It's only noticeable when it's broken down for cleaning and I have not noticed any problems caused by it. I bought the complete rifle at Whittaker's a little over a year ago and ordered my upper straight from del ton during one of their holiday sales.
I don't think that they are as high quality as a noveske or one of those high roller's AR's (AR-Rob), but mine has been a great KISS rifle. I've got MOE furniture on it with a stubby VFG and a cheap carry handle, good gun.

EH91KY
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by EH91KY » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:22 pm

ssracer good point, my original post wasn't to clear on that. That's what I was getting at.

Seems like a solid rifle and it's decked out in the Magpul. Whittakers has it out the door for around $700 last I checked, might have gone up some. So far I'm liking what I'm hearing.
Al Capone tried to kill my uncle on Valentines Day, He failed. Survival is in my blood.

SpookyPistolero
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SpookyPistolero » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:36 pm

Please don't cite Nutnfancy. It makes baby jesus cry.

Also, please pick any lower that you can get your hands on, and add this:
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/co ... &key=6920U
or this:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-1 ... -m4-16.htm
or this:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LMT-16-M ... %20urg.htm

You're getting mil spec (meaning made according to the military TDP), and the cost difference is so minimal as to be laughable. It will last you, period. I've read reports of Deltons with out of spec chambers, several reports of gas keys coming loose, etc. There's no reason to go with 1x9, and they don't list whether their barrels are MP/HP tested.

There's no reason on earth not to go with known quality these days; there are too many good options at very affordable prices.

[Flame suit on]
You better call Kenny Loggins. Cause you're in the danger zone.

EH91KY
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by EH91KY » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:46 am

Coachf wrote:If you are fine with $700 it'd go for it. If you want help, you can build it for a lot cheaper.
Well I looked into building one but by the time I pay for shipping on the upper and lower then add all the Moe features it looked as if I'd only be saving around $100 bucks and really I wouldnt mind spending that to avoid headache and time.
SpookyPistolero wrote:Please don't cite Nutnfancy. It makes baby jesus cry.

Also, please pick any lower that you can get your hands on, and add this:
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/co ... &key=6920U
or this:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-1 ... -m4-16.htm
or this:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LMT-16-M ... %20urg.htm

You're getting mil spec (meaning made according to the military TDP), and the cost difference is so minimal as to be laughable. It will last you, period. I've read reports of Deltons with out of spec chambers, several reports of gas keys coming loose, etc. There's no reason to go with 1x9, and they don't list whether their barrels are MP/HP tested.

There's no reason on earth not to go with known quality these days; there are too many good options at very affordable prices.
This is From Del-Ton's website:
All of our Del-Ton upper assemblies and rifles are head-spaced and test fired for quality, firing capablilities, and your safety. You will have the satisfaction in knowing you are receiving a functional, effective, quality piece of equipment. Del-Ton uses top quality, US made, mil-spec parts.

- All flat tops have the extended M4 feed ramps
- All bolts are MP/HP tested
- If you order an upper or rifle with a flat top, it will have an F Marked front sight base
- Our carriers are properly staked, and sealed
- All barrels are parkarized under the gas block
- We only use taper pins on our barrels
- All barrels are made of Chrome Moly Vanadium. CMV is an upgrade from the standard chrome moly. We also have the option to chrome line the barrels, or not, and you can chose a 1x7 twist or a 1x9 twist on most profiles.

As for the 1:9 Twist I don't see the need for a 1:7, a 1:8 would probably be more preferable but my main use will be range shooting so I'll be using the lighter rounds anyway. I've heard a lot of bad things about products I will stand by that I've had zero problems out of so to me unless I see proof then they are just stories. The main complaint I see about Del-Ton rifles is their triggers. If anything does break they offer a lifetime warranty.

At some point an AR came out and everyone said I'll keep my AK because it's proven and its quality is known, but some of these guys now shoot AR's. So yes I could spend a few hundred more and go with a Colt or something like that but the fact that they are simply time tested isnt going to do it for me.

SpookyPistolero
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SpookyPistolero » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:52 am

- That quote never mentions HP/mp testing for their barrels. Which means they almost certainly aren't testing.
- 1/7 will stabilize both heavy and light bullets. 1/9 will not do the same.
- I read a dozen medical studies a day, from case reports to blockbuster trials. Should I wait until I see adverse effects from drugs in my individual patients, or rely on data to prevent problems before they occur? The next statement that would be made by someone who can't give the benefit of the doubt, is that there are no 'studies' for guns. While that's quite true, we have instructor reports, reports from serious high volume shooters, and forums meant to be BS-free. That's the best we've got until an independent not-for-profit agency decides to buy hundreds of rifles for testing, and pays for the ammo.

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:45 am

I suggest a 1/7 chrome lined bbl eh. If for nothing else it should remain more valuable in the future. The chrome is a necessity imo. I have not shot heavier than 62 grain, but being able to if/when heavier bullets are available more cheaply is a nice option imo. As for nutn...nevermind

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:58 am

i got the 1:7 cl because i hunt with it and shoot heavier bullets when i can
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:58 pm

Others are commented on Del-ton I use the parts and kit with zero problems.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:58 pm

some of the guys knocking Del Ton that have other 'uppity' AR's are insulting themselves without even knowing it.
Del Ton made and supplied AR parts for years and years for all the up-scale spendy 'tactical' AR's out there.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:21 pm

kokopelli wrote:some of the guys knocking Del Ton that have other 'uppity' AR's are insulting themselves without even knowing it.
Del Ton made and supplied AR parts for years and years for all the up-scale spendy 'tactical' AR's out there.
I have not said anything bad about delton, but I would like to know your source for this information....

BlackRifle

Post by BlackRifle » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:00 am

My opinion, and take it for what it's worth.

Del ton is a lower end AR by popular consensus, agreed? It's not lower end because it's nessecarily lower quality, it may not have the excessive testing, assurances, etc of other brands.

My advice: spend a little bit more and get a rifle that is proven and has solid support. Really, what's 200-300 more to get a Spikes, DD, BCM? In the long run, it's probably worth it if you are going to hold onto the rifle, right?
AR-15 addict.
Spikes is my flavor of choice.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:52 pm

The finish on one of my Del-Ton uppers isn't really that great but over all they run like they should. Maybe look at Palmetto State Armory around the same price or a little bit more for an Accurate Armory or BCM rifle as others have said. If you watch for deals you can have an a Delton upper with a low end lower for $525 or so without optics.

Ar-Rob
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Ar-Rob » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:06 pm

SpookyPistolero wrote:
- 1/7 will stabilize both heavy and light bullets. 1/9 will not do the same.
That's funny because of all the "reports" I have read a 1/7 will spin the lighter hunting grain bullets apart.The same "reports" also suggest the 1/9 barrel is the center of the twist spectrum for 55/62gr ammo that the majority of AR owners use.
scorpionmain wrote:I've heard "Rob is a dick"
Rem700 wrote:Rob is a dick
Marcus wrote:Rob can be such a dick

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Del-Ton

Post by ssracer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:57 pm

I shoot all 55/62 grain...1/9 twist...works just fine

SpookyPistolero
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SpookyPistolero » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:27 pm

I would consider 75 gr heavy, not 62. Reports I've read point to this being a better combat weight, specifically at med to long ranges.

central154

Post by central154 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:51 pm

I have two rifles, one is a build it your self with a DTI lower. One full DTI Echo 316 bought assembled from a gun shop here in ky. Both rifles function flawlessly. They Cycle any ammo I put through them, the assembled DTI I bought is actually my favorite weapon. I ran almost 900 rounds through it with out cleaning and never had a single ftf or fte, and its accurate. go for it pal no mistake about it

Return to “AR-15”