Proper gas key staking...?

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Proper gas key staking...?

Post by kokopelli » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:31 pm

opinion on the staking job, please.

These are from the phone- I'm charging the camera batteries to get some good close ups...

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0

Re: Proper gas key staking...?

Post by JustShootIt » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:40 pm

Looks good to me...

If u put decent pressure on the wrench and they don't turn, I think they'll be ok
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0

Post by Frailer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:59 pm

Tough to tell from the photo, but it doesn't look as if that "staking" is doing anything. Does the displaced metal even touch the screw heads?

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by kokopelli » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:50 pm

Frailer wrote:Tough to tell from the photo, but it doesn't look as if that "staking" is doing anything. Does the displaced metal even touch the screw heads?
No- it doesn't at all. I'm going to take some good close-ups when the camera is charged; I'll post those here. I have an email into Anderson Customer Service as well; after the 1/4" too short Take-Down pin, plus a couple more defective parts I found, I'm not having good luck with their parts.

Check out the charging handle latch:

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:51 pm

What does it mean to "stake" the gas key. This is the first time I've heard of this.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:58 pm

JustShootIt wrote:Looks good to me...

If u put decent pressure on the wrench and they don't turn, I think they'll be ok
This
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by kokopelli » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:01 pm

1fastmach1 wrote:What does it mean to "stake" the gas key. This is the first time I've heard of this.
'Staking' the gas key is simply smashing a bit of the surrounding metal into the side of the hex heads, so that they cannot rotate. Same as a carbine castle nut should be staked...

here is a pic of good, proper gas key staking:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html? ... 8&t=525732

here is poor/attempted staking:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php ... -LE-Dealer

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:01 pm

1fastmach1 wrote:What does it mean to "stake" the gas key. This is the first time I've heard of this.
Basically deforming the metal around the screws just enough to prevent them from turning on their own but still allowing for their removal if need be. Lock-tight won-t work because it lets go in high heat.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:02 pm

kokopelli wrote:
Frailer wrote:Tough to tell from the photo, but it doesn't look as if that "staking" is doing anything. Does the displaced metal even touch the screw heads?
No- it doesn't at all...
Then it's done wrong. The whole point of staking is to displace metal from the key into the side of the screw head in order to prevent the screw from turning and backing out.

Whether or not staking is necessary is debatable (presuming the screws are torqued properly), but it is "mil-spec," and if you're going to do it you should do it right.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by kokopelli » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:05 pm

'Staking' the gas key is simply smashing a bit of the surrounding metal into the side of the hex heads, so that they cannot rotate. Same as a carbine castle nut should be staked...

here is a pic of good, proper gas key staking:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html? ... 8&t=525732

here is poor/attempted staking:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php ... -LE-Dealer

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:06 pm

Ahh thanks. Learn something new every day. I assume my spikes unit was done before it was sent to me. I'll go have a look at mine now.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by kokopelli » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:09 pm

1fastmach1 wrote:Ahh thanks. Learn something new every day. I assume my spikes unit was done before it was sent to me. I'll go have a look at mine now.

Spikes stakes their DI, but not their piston supplied BCG's...

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:16 pm

kokopelli wrote:
1fastmach1 wrote:Ahh thanks. Learn something new every day. I assume my spikes unit was done before it was sent to me. I'll go have a look at mine now.

Spikes stakes their DI, but not their piston supplied BCG's...
I just pulled mine out for a look. It looks GTG. I've never had a piston system although I hear they are great.
Attachments
IMG_5613.JPG

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by kokopelli » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:18 pm

^^^ That is just about perfect- not too much that the hex's can't be removed, just enough so that they don't move on their own...

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:19 pm

I had a BCM that was well staked...it still managed to come loose

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:22 pm

ssracer wrote:I had a BCM that was well staked...it still managed to come loose
Always a good idea to check them once in a while even with proper staking

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:18 pm

The mil spec stake calls for a trapezoid shape punch dented and the screws at certain pound-inch.(35-45)

In other words set the Fat Wrench and tighten screws , then Cranky smash :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama:

:llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama:

Return to “AR-15”