Ammo talk and ammo related topics
justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

9mm critical duty problem

Post by justang1997 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:51 pm

So I noticed on Monday at the range while unloading a beretta mag full of critical duty ammo that it was slow to slide the next round up. I'd pop the round out with my thumb and have to wait a second while the next round slid up. It was sliding up with the nose downward and I noticed that the rubber insert in the tip was dragging on the front of the magazine.
These being 135gr hp I am sure they are slightly longer OAL. I'm willing to bet if you rapid fire you will get a jam or the slide will close before the next round is up to the top of the mag.
Using the gold dots right now. Gonna shoot a full mag of critical duty rapidly next time I go out.

Btw these are good mags, and functioned without any issues on the range that day using tula 9mm and magtech jhp's. MecGar 18 rounders. The hornady critical duty also slide up slowly when using factory beretta mags and gi mags.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: 9mm critical duty problem

Post by son of liberty » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:48 pm

Its hard to give your carry ammo a legitimate evaluation through your carry gun with the cost being over a buck a shot. Sometimes its just not worth the cost of switching from your tested round to something else , even if its touted as better. I would rather carry my tested practice FMJ ball ammo , then untested hallow points, and tested IMO is 100 trouble free rounds.

Food for thought I guess.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rem700 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:55 pm

son of liberty wrote:Its hard to give your carry ammo a legitimate evaluation through your carry gun with the cost being over a buck a shot. Sometimes its just not worth the cost of switching from your tested round to something else , even if its touted as better. I would rather carry my tested practice FMJ ball ammo , then untested hallow points, and tested IMO is 100 trouble free rounds.

I have often thought about that. When i carried my XDs I had Hornady Custom in it. I got 2 boxes (40 rds). I put 29 rounds through it with no trouble and kept the other 11 for carry (5 +1 and a spare 5 rd mag). I didnt necessarily feel like that was sufficient, but it told me i had no feed problems with that ammo IMO. But your point is very valid in that it waould be expensive to really test your carry ammo vs just your normal plinking ball ammo. Switched back to 9mm last week and need some new carry ammo to test out.

Nolan
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Nolan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:57 pm

some calibers of critical defense would not cycle in my pistols--I just use ball ammo now--shit goes boom and cycles
"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

-- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:10 pm

Rem700 wrote:
son of liberty wrote:Its hard to give your carry ammo a legitimate evaluation through your carry gun with the cost being over a buck a shot. Sometimes its just not worth the cost of switching from your tested round to something else , even if its touted as better. I would rather carry my tested practice FMJ ball ammo , then untested hallow points, and tested IMO is 100 trouble free rounds.

I have often thought about that. When i carried my XDs I had Hornady Custom in it. I got 2 boxes (40 rds). I put 29 rounds through it with no trouble and kept the other 11 for carry (5 +1 and a spare 5 rd mag). I didnt necessarily feel like that was sufficient, but it told me i had no feed problems with that ammo IMO. But your point is very valid in that it waould be expensive to really test your carry ammo vs just your normal plinking ball ammo. Switched back to 9mm last week and need some new carry ammo to test out.
Same ammo I carry in my XDS.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Yep ammo cost is crazy. I put 1 box of the critical duty through the beretta. No issues. No issues ever with the beretta. 1 box really isn't enough and the only reason I went critical duty was because it was the only bonded ammmo I could find in quantity a while back. I shoot $1 per round bullets every time I go shoot. Some times 1 box, sometimes just a hand full. It adds up over time.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:47 pm

I sometimes kick myself for not shooting more often but I average about 1 range trip per month. Only carry ammo I have ever had issue with was a magtech 124+p jhp. Primer was struck, it just didn't go bang. That stuff was $16 per 20.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Toddstang » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:50 pm

Same ammo cycles 100% out of my Beretta 92FS.

As well as a few other 9's I used it in.

I burn up a box of 20 about every 6 months to a year, just to keep fresh rounds on hand and to make sure they work as well.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:02 pm

They have worked fine in mine as well but I haven't really shot aany super fast strings with it.

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:52 pm

Never had an issue with duty. But I switched to 147 HST federal for my 9mm and the same in 230 for 45
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

Return to “Ammo”