Help me find the right tool set/socket set

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Help me find the right tool set/socket set

Post by Mike » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:33 pm

I'm in need of an organized tool set. Mainly some sockets. I am looking at options from Lowes because I have a 25% off coupon on a single item there and some gift cards. But I am not turned off by other brands IF the price is right. I'm not buying Snapon tools, don't need to spend that kind of money on items I hardly ever use.

I have sockets out there in a drawer but it's unorganized and want to know I have most bases covered. I prefer it to be transportable as well. I have considered these "pass through" sets from Kobalt but there is some controversy over them being "universal". But for the price can these two sets basically cover any need I may see?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_379762-22328-86 ... facetInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_379761-22328-86 ... facetInfo=

Or would I be better off getting something like this for around $50?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_338516-22328-85 ... nfo=Kobalt

Anyone see anything else out there that is comparable?? Just wanting s general purpose, easily transportable set that will cover most needs.
:llama:

drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Re: Help me find the right tool set/socket set

Post by drifter0069 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:53 pm

The links wouldn't open in mobile for me, but the kobalt tools are good to go. They are better than craftsmen in my opinion. They honor their warranties too

Double-post sent from my iphone with Tapatalk...

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:54 pm

My thought on "universial" are that they are as tight as "fitted" sockets.
I have a MetWrench set that I used for years.

I like to stop at flea market or the peddlers malls and check out the tools.

I would get all three sets.
Can never have enough tools

BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by BK Meyers » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:56 pm

Mike wrote: Or would I be better off getting something like this for around $50?

Anyone see anything else out there that is comparable?? Just wanting s general purpose, easily transportable set that will cover most needs.
Based on the Lowes options you have listed this is the one I would choose. While it is the more expensive option it gives you much more tool variety and versatility.

BK
God made man.
Samuel Colt made all men equal.
John M. Browning and the 1911 made some men more equal than others.

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:01 pm

I myself have a rather extensive tool collection that I've gathered over the years and my go to brand is craftsman. For the money, they can't be beat. They honor their warranty as well. I've broke a few pieces over the years and sears replaces my things with no questions asked. I know you mentioned lowes because of the gift cards and such but I think your money spent on tools would be best spent elsewhere. You can get really nice tool sets that come in a slick case for under 100 bucks at sears. I don't know what your budget is like but in my eyes, that's a great deal for a quality product. Just my two pennies.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:01 pm

drifter0069 wrote:The links wouldn't open in mobile for me, but the kobalt tools are good to go. They are better than craftsmen in my opinion. They honor their warranties too

I have Kobalt, Armstrong , Snap on,craftsman, Harbor Freight ,S/K, Stanley etc
Socket, wrench,ratchets, extension

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Toddstang » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:02 pm

BK Meyers wrote:
Mike wrote: Or would I be better off getting something like this for around $50?

Based on the Lowes options you have listed this is the one I would choose. While it is the more expensive option it gives you much more tool variety and versatility.

BK
I agree. I used to have a mega ton of different hand tools in the 80's when I was an auto mechanic, and after I chose another career, I regret selling off most of them.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:03 pm

guncrank1 wrote:
drifter0069 wrote:The links wouldn't open in mobile for me, but the kobalt tools are good to go. They are better than craftsmen in my opinion. They honor their warranties too

For the record, I broke more Snap On tools then any other brand I owned. The older Craftsman tools were the most reliable in my box.

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:08 pm

Toddstang wrote:
guncrank1 wrote:

For the record, I broke more Snap On tools then any other brand I owned. The older Craftsman tools were the most reliable in my box.
This is true. Snap On makes a mean tool box though. I'd love to have one. Waaaaaay too much money. My roll top craftsman box does just fine at a quarter of the price.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 338 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:09 pm

BK Meyers wrote:

BK
I agree with this...
Also agree with Cranky that you can't have to many tools.
Not a fan of the pass through tools that I've seen, at least for working on cars. They are kinda bulky, like using a 1/2" drive socket set for everything...haha

Next
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Next » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:40 pm

I love my pass through set. Got it at Harbor. I saw a single wrench yesterday that looked like a as seen on tv tool but it was cool. You twist the outer part on the bolt then it would ratchet. I think the pass through are the way to go

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mike » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:09 pm

Well I'm considering all three sets now. Considering I have 25% off coupons it's kind of worth it. I have several craftsman ratchets and sockets but they are unorganized and random. I'll get all three sets and it should cover most anything I need. My budget is around $100 since that's what I have in gift cards.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:32 pm

I'd get the $50 set especially if you will mainly be working on cars and mowers and stuff like that.

I'm not knocking the pass through but I've never needed more that a deep well or box wrench. With your gift cards and cupon you may as well get all 3 sets though. Can you use them with regular extensions and torque wrenches?

I get majority of my stuff from autozone because they are closer to where I live.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ian » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:14 pm

As other have said, buying Snap-on tools for the weekend warrior mechanic is kind of silly. I myself have lost more sockets than I have broken.

My short 3/8 Drive sockets are a set of great neck's I picked up before I was even working on cars. My intentions was to replace them as they would break. I use them every day and I have yet to break one. I've lost three though.

The main difference between Craftsman sockets/wrenches and tool truck sockets/wrenches, are the tolerances. They are like comparing a cheap lower to a BCM. They both will go bang every time, but the BCM will feel tighter, crisper etc. The Bluepoint and MAC wrenches I have in my box fit tighter than the craftsman wrenches I have.

I would look into the larger sets from Craftsman, they usually run pretty good sales right around Christmas and after New Years. Pick up something that comes with a decent assortment of Metric and Standard. If you can find one that comes with a small set of wrenches, hex bits, and a couple ratchets, and screw drivers. I would snatch it up in a heart beat for the right price.
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:01 am

The new Craftsman stuff doesn't compare to the older ones.
My set is going on 28 years old now and the only thing I had to replace was the retaining ring in my 1/2 drive ratchet.
If the Lowes set offer a life time warranty, you cant go wrong there either.

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mike » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:38 am

All Kobalt tools have a lifetime warranty. The ratchets all have 72 teeth so have a good 4 degree ratcheting action which is nice. And their sockets are labeled easy to read and red and blue color coded. My eyes suck now and reading the sockets is a big deal to me.

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:20 am

I used to buy craftsman before I had access to husky/kobalt. Now Ill buy any of the 3 because they all have warranty. Unless sears goes out of business.

If I know I am going to use something once or otherwise am not worried about it having a warranty Ill save $ and buy harbor freight stuff.

Nolan
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Nolan » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 am

Toddstang wrote:
guncrank1 wrote:

Me too
"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

-- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

Return to “Everything Else”