Open Range is getting ridiculous

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 337 times
Been liked: 92 times

Re: Open Range is getting ridiculous

Post by Niceguy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:23 pm

I shot a brick and then some of .22 and 100+ rounds of 9mm in an hour lane time in Oct of this past year to blow off a little steam and no one had any issues at all with me rapidly firing under control. I've stood in the rifle range shooting 7.62x39 steel case and all they asked was I made sure I took it with me. That was another time I was there. I'm definitely not member and probably never will be because I can shoot in my yard. I just enjoy shooting in a very nice climate controlled place in the winter on occasion or when trying to help a new shooter enjoy their first experience.

I'm absolutely not distrusting anyone's stories on here. I'm not even saying that anyone should agree with me or shoot there because I like the place. Just saying that I've personally not had any bad experiences there.

I also agree that we need a KAC 100 yard indoor range and 1000 yard outdoor range to solve this problem...haha

drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by drifter0069 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:58 pm

All I was saying is I will take the word of a member here with a good rep over someone who has no history here. That's my point. Not saying you haven't had good experiences there. I have seen good and bad experiences posted online at numerous sites.

drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by drifter0069 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:59 pm

+1000000000 on the KAC range!!

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:14 pm

jimbob2383 wrote:I am not an employee but I am a member of Open Range. In response to the opening thread, I believe this doesn't add up. 1st of all the range officers do not know whether you bought the ammo or not. The person at the counter doesn't care if you bring ammo unless you rent a gun. Your neighbor obviously rented a gun as in this shortage all ranges would rather you bring ammo so they can keep theirs for rentals. They obviously never made it into the range. The ammo in their bag would not have been known to them unless they rented a gun and said I don't need ammo.

They also allow steel case ammo on the pistol range. Furthermore, they allow you to collect your casings. But I would tell them if you are because they are trying to avoid slips with loaded weapons. I for one do not want anyone skating on casings with semi and or automatic weapons when an officer can collect them from your area.

Open Range caters to newbies and upper scale shooters who are willing to travel to avoid dark non-automated ranges. My daughters feel safe there and receive tips from the officers and follow their seemingly long list of rules.

My purchases there have been limited to ammo and used range guns at a fair price. Their other items are high priced (benchmade knives for example) until they run a sale.

If you have a bone to pick with them it is best to not darken their doorways but the fact stands that Open Range is the best maintained, state of the art facility in this region. As for me and my daughters we will continue to support them and enjoy the leagues and programmable targets until my first hand experiences change.
You joining to only defend the range is not only highly suspicious if you aren't an employee but it screams you have ties there. I don't mind either way except if you don't work there then you care WAY too much about that place to sign up on a new forum to save them. This is the Internet and people come here to gripe about things and if they have a bad experience then they will post about it. If they have a great experience then they post about it also as most of us here are friends and not just some faceless nationwide forum. We face up to what we say and look out for each other on where to spend our hard earned money. We actually are sponsored by several places around town that love all of the business we send their way and they treat our members and non members great. Stick around and enjoy the site and share more of your experiences or ask any questions you have on the various topics.

stavman

Post by stavman » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:38 pm

I don't shoot at open range often, maybe 3-4 times a year. I have never had an issue at the range.

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Tyler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:51 pm

I'll go there only to sight in rifles because it's the only place without wind and a 100 yard range that I've seen around here. I'd be willing to pay more and go there regularly if I was able to shoot steel ammo and not have a high school aged kid look over my shoulder.

It's their business and they'll run it as they see fit, good or bad.
Height Supremacist

Eireguy
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Eireguy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:03 am

Went once,saw the prices on the floor stuff & left.havent been back

jimbob2383

Post by jimbob2383 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:59 am

You are correct that I am new to your forum but incorrect that I joined just to defend Open Range. I joined April 3rd and have been quietly enjoying the information throughout the forums till I felt compelled to bring information to the group.
I don't expect to be believed over members with thousands of posts. I do want to make sure those who are looking for places to shoot don't dismiss an opportunity to shoot at a 5 star range. It's true the range time can be costly there and the fact I have a membership is testimony to my efforts to save my family and friends $$ by taking them so up to 3 of them can enjoy my 50% discount. It's my choice not to drive across the county to the other few choices we have.
I shot in a gssf match there last night and must say business is down. It may be due to the shortage or bad service but at the end of the shooting there wasn't a single shooter that didn't mention coming back for the match next week. If they are suffering due to bad service I think they will deal with it as they have the shortage.
As for steel case ammo, i have personally shot it from my semi without issue but those rules may be changing since they now have a supply to sell to shooters.
I've been turned away on fridays when we took a group and it was too busy to get a lane. Frankly, it's nice to not have to wait so if you don't like the range I encourage you to shoot elsewhere.
I hope the KAC range becomes reality and it isn't a closed club. I also hope Derby city firearms and training are successful with their range and open it to the public. I mean no disrespect and only hope my information is useful.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:26 am

Great, classy response. Glad to see no big amount of butthurt and start of drama. I shot the GSSF match as well last night (very poorly, but I still fun...haha) and will be back next Tues. My only complaint if any would be that it felt rushed. Slow down and enjoy...

This is just my 2 cents. Not the view of all nor meant to piss off anyone.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:50 am

Don't have dog in this as I have never shot there but I'm starting to get the impression most of this be a case of certain, not all, employes not being fully up to speed on the rules of the range. I encounter this sort of thing almost everywhere I go in doing almost anything. If this is true then fromkentucky's action in post #41 was the correct one, inform the management of the issue.

And as far as steel case ammo, this is from their website
We have temporarily lifted the ban on steel and aluminum case PISTOL ammo (still no steel rifle ammo, sorry) and you may shoot it in the range. See you soon!
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

jimbob2383

Post by jimbob2383 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:08 am

I also felt rushed. I felt the rush to get to the line by the store staff but the range officer was professional and gave enough time to reload mags etc... without rush. I need to pace myself and find the right rx glasses that let me see the target while focusing on the front sight. Had an awesome 10 shot 5" group at 75' but off center in the 5pt range. See you next week.

SAMPLE- BANNED

Post by SAMPLE- BANNED » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 pm

fromkentucky wrote:FWIW, I emailed the link to this thread to Open Range directly, saying they may need to sit down with their staff and review their rules and policies because this isn't the first time I've seen such complaints on local forums. I got a response from a Brendan Montgomery thanking me and asking to forward any more such complaints to him. I figure, even if they don't decide to change anything, it's more effective than just talking about it here.
If the management didn't know what was going on and they are going to try and correct these problems. I just gain a little and I mean little respect for them. But they need show people that things are being change and not just lip service.
Kill em all and let God sort them out! <===== What a keyboard Commando like me would say. Mostly because I am frustrated with my lack of success with life.

I WILL USE THIS RADIO IF I HAVE TO!!!!!!!!!!!1

IM A REAL MAN!

Stevez

Post by Stevez » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:47 pm

I am new here too and my .02 cents is that I was a member for a year and didn't renew it because I didn't use it enough to make it worth while. I go about 6 times a year maybe and have been there maybe 20 times total. I did take my CCW course there and I have my issues with them as well. Sometimes their range officers seem extremely picky and can "bug" me, but in the total picture I think they do a good overall job to keep the environment safe. It is rather expensive but I just don't know of better, closer alternatives. I have never experienced them telling me I cannot use my own ammo, but never tried steel ammo. I bring mine all the time. With the shortage, it can be frustrating to go and not be able to buy much and if you can, very expensive. Classy response by Jim Bob and his opinion is his opinion. I like Open Range overall but would love an outdoor range closer than KC. I will go there until I find a better value. Thanks. Steve

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:58 pm

I like pie

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:58 pm

:llama:

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:35 pm

Open range sucks , and if you dont think so then im going to defriend you on the face book, then im going to tell our mutual friends that they have to pick a side and defriend you as well! prepare yourself for the wrath!

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:52 pm

thats the SOL we know :llama: maybe.....
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:00 pm

son of liberty wrote:Open range sucks , and if you dont think so then im going to defriend you on the face book, then im going to tell our mutual friends that they have to pick a side and defriend you as well! prepare yourself for the wrath!
Discommendation

There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:03 pm

son of liberty wrote:Open range sucks , and if you dont think so then im going to defriend you on the face book, then im going to tell our mutual friends that they have to pick a side and defriend you as well! prepare yourself for the wrath!
hahaha! That is awesome! That's some funny shit...haha

SAMPLE- BANNED

Post by SAMPLE- BANNED » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:25 pm

Anyone disagree with this statement! Never mind don't answer because we already know the answer..... :D
Kill em all and let God sort them out! <===== What a keyboard Commando like me would say. Mostly because I am frustrated with my lack of success with life.

IM A REAL MAN!

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Toddstang » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:59 pm

I hope Derby City opens up a range as well. I met the owner at a local gun show and he seems like a decent guy.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:53 pm

Toddstang wrote:I hope Derby City opens up a range as well. I met the owner at a local gun show and he seems like a decent guy.
Good for them

Sent Cranky Style from IPhone via Tapatalk
A gun smith
502-231-1118

jimbob2383

Post by jimbob2383 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:12 am

SOL, let me clarify. Are you defriending me because I like Open Range, or because I'm a UofL fan, or because I'm dating your sister? Seriously, if you and a couple friends ever want to go to OpenRange and split a lane on my discount just PM me. I'll even throw in the 1st couple hundred rounds of 22lr as long as you promise to send them down range. :D Otherwise, I'll see you at the family reunion.

As for Derby city firearms training and gear, the folks there are top notch. They helped us out a bunch when a friend was getting victimized. Our whole family got our ccdw there and they offer self defense classes as well as firearms training and gear. They got a raw deal from zoning in oldham county and are moving their range. I don't believe they are open to the public just for their training classes but I encourage everyone to meet these folks and go to their website http://www.derbycityfirearmstrainingandgear.com

SAMPLE- BANNED

Post by SAMPLE- BANNED » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:35 am

guncrank1 wrote:
Coach wrote:Good god we spend alot of time dogging the local ranges.

Last few years it was KCR, then we dogged TG&G for the competition shoots, and now Open Range.

I see only one solution: KAC range.
KCR
Has rules to limit the gangsta mentality

TG&G just made a business decision that was not like by myself and others
Never had a problem with thier rules or any issues shooting there.

Open Range has issues from day one.
First with the owners demeaned that the shooting public support his buisness because of the 2nd admentment.
Then the brass hits the floor and it is ours , to the speed of shooting , to the seemingly preference given to members there.
Which gives you a "discount" but you still pay more than TG&G.

A gun

I agree!

IM A REAL MAN!

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Toddstang » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:43 am

guncrank1 wrote:
Toddstang wrote:I hope Derby City opens up a range as well. I met the owner at a local gun show and he seems like a decent guy.
Good for them

A gun smith
502-231-1118

Not for you I guess?

Return to “Everything Else”