Open Range is getting ridiculous

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
kyswede
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Open Range is getting ridiculous

Post by kyswede » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:47 am

In on page 5. I have no no dog/ horse in this fight.
:llama:
Cutting grass is the price I gladly pay for not being cold.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:17 am

kyswede wrote:In on page 5. I have no no dog/ horse in this fight.
:llama:
You have a llama in the fight now

Sent via Tapatalk on a tiny screened cell phone so piss off if you don't like my typos

openrangesports
Been liked: 0

Post by openrangesports » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:32 am

Smithengineered wrote:I have never been to open range before. I understand "your business your rules", but if someone rents a gun from you they can only purchase one box of ammo?....
I would love to sell you 10000 boxes but since we are a range, we need ammo for anyone who walks in the door to use our range. Hence our one box rule for ammo in rentals. Right now there is no "take out" ammo at all. This is beginning to budge, but ammo demand has been like a wildfire wiping our reserves out. I mean why on earth would I not want to sell something?

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 337 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:05 am

I'm happy to see that this made it back to Open Range and Barry tastefully responded. Also glad to see he is willing to work with people who are unhappy. I would love to see more options in the Louisville area also as I think competition is good for business and for us as well. That way if you want to go to one and not another, all is good because there are choices... Hopefully regardless if you choose to go to OR or not, you see the good in their success. I absolutely f'ing HATE Knob Creek but wish no ill will or anything but success on them. Because if they fail, it will probably be turned into some ghey ass golf coarse...haha We need more ranges, gun shops and smiths because everyone's opinions and expectations vary. Some people love KCR, I don't. I have no opinion of TG&G because I've never personally shot there, but still wish them success. If more gun business succeed, the more options we all have. Besides, if they close them they will probably open more gun hating, tax sucking, BS business in their spot...haha Once again, this is just my 2 cents. Not necessarily right or wrong, just my opinion. If you don't like it, all is good because this is still America for now...haha

Smithengineered
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Smithengineered » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:08 pm

openrangesports wrote:
Smithengineered wrote:I have never been to open range before. I understand "your business your rules", but if someone rents a gun from you they can only purchase one box of ammo?....
I would love to sell you 10000 boxes but since we are a range, we need ammo for anyone who walks in the door to use our range. Hence our one box rule for ammo in rentals. Right now there is no "take out" ammo at all. This is beginning to budge, but ammo demand has been like a wildfire wiping our reserves out. I mean why on earth would I not want to sell something?

I'm not trying to say that you should sell "take out ammo". I know if I wanted to rent a gun the one box ammo limit would deter me from wanting to shoot. Just saying.

SAMPLE- BANNED

Post by SAMPLE- BANNED » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Something not adding up with Barry rules about renting guns and using their ammo. When you advertise about buying ammo from the public. Is that ammo use for the rental guns or for people to use in their own guns? Maybe I am not bright or I am dummer then a box of rocks.
Kill em all and let God sort them out! <===== What a keyboard Commando like me would say. Mostly because I am frustrated with my lack of success with life.

I WILL USE THIS RADIO IF I HAVE TO!!!!!!!!!!!1

IM A REAL MAN!

dbh
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by dbh » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:28 pm

Sample,

I believe they were buying sealed cases of factory ammo from hoarders...or anyone who could spare some. Not one or two boxes here and there. I may be wrong........

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:55 pm

Coach wrote:
WLJ wrote:What this area needs is more ranges! Competition is good.
How many rifle ranges are within a 30-45 minutes drive of Louisville that don't force you to shoot through tubes and don't forced you to become one of the club (member's only) to shoot? KCR and Open Range are it as far as I can remember. New Haven is nice, and an hour's drive from L, but we need something a bit more than 100yds for rifles and it's still member's only. I find it almost hard to believe that as "gun friendly" as Ky is suppose to be how few good gun ranges we have.

I think some of it is we shit all over anyone who doesn't do business exactly the way we want.
If we keep it up every range within a 100 miles will ban KAC members. :llama:

BTW: Only real complaining about a range I recall doing is about the RO(s) at KCR but I have admitted that with some of the customers they have been getting lately he is needed. He just needs to be more tactful about it.
Last edited by WLJ on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Vividia » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:04 pm

I may not like the one box rule, but I sure understand it. I can easily run through 300 or more handgun rounds in an hour, or 6 boxes of 50. Some of that is good practice, some is just blowing ammo. I bet if i was limited to the one box, I would make the whole session count with good, well placed practice.

I am one of the fortunate ones that had a pretty good stock of factory ammo in a number of calibers before the panic, and I reload most of the handgun ammo I shoot in case I run out. I am also starting to load some rifle, too, so I can shoot more of that without depleting stock.

Lately I have been shooting more rifle. That ammo is more expensive per shot, yes, but overall I bet I am saving money by shooting fewer rounds. (.30-06 pounds the arthritic shoulder more than 9 or 45 LOL) Also, it has been easier to find a box of rifle here and there than handgun ammo of almost any flavor.

I can tell you that, though I have shot a couple hundred rounds through the AR15 recently, I sure havent used the bump stock since last summer!

At the end of the day (and of this thread, when it finally withers and dies) I will still be shooting at OR when I don't make the drive to NH.

By the way, from the firing line to the right side of the berm at NH is around 70 yards, if I recall correctly. (I measured it with a laser rangefinder). I would LOVE to hire a bulldozer to clear out to the right of the berm to get a little more distance, and make it a true 100 yard range on that side. More yardage than 100 would just be way cool. There are more than 30 acres at NH. I remember looking at the plot plan, though, and seeing that the range is actually in a corner of the plot, and the plot is a dogleg shape which makes it hard to do much with it.

Or, maybe we do just need to pool resources and have a KAC range somewhere LOL. Open Range in the winter or in the rain and KAC for outside or longer range fun.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:25 pm

WLJ wrote:
Coach wrote:
How many rifle ranges are within a 30-45 minutes drive of Louisville that don't force you to shoot through tubes and don't forced you to become one of the club (member's only) to shoot? KCR and Open Range are it as far as I can remember. New Haven is nice, and an hour's drive from L, but we need something a bit more than 100yds for rifles and it's still member's only. I find it almost hard to believe that as "gun friendly" as Ky is suppose to be how few good gun ranges we have.

I think some of it is we shit all over anyone who doesn't do business exactly the way we want.
Not a very good business plan. (Banning customers who ask questions or speak of their experiences)

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:42 pm

jackalo626 wrote:
WLJ wrote:
Coach wrote:

Not a very good business plan. (Banning customers who ask questions or speak of their experiences)
There's definitely a difference between discussing and bashing...

Has any range really banned us as a group? haha

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:02 pm

niceguyr6 wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
WLJ wrote:
Coach wrote:

I wish no ill on anyone and hope the gun industry flourishes like wildfire. I just hope that as Americans who love the second amendment so much, we can love the first amendment as well and let people speak their mind. I don't think silencing the opposition is ever the answer and just because someone isn't happy with a few facets of your business doesn't mean they won't still come there or support your business after they air their grievances and get it off their chest.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:09 pm

niceguyr6 wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
WLJ wrote:
Coach wrote:

JHC

:llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama:
:llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama:
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:31 pm

jackalo626 wrote:
niceguyr6 wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
WLJ wrote:
Coach wrote:

I wish no ill on anyone and hope the gun industry flourishes like wildfire. I just hope that as Americans who love the second amendment so much, we can love the first amendment as well and let people speak their mind. I don't think silencing the opposition is ever the answer and just because someone isn't happy with a few facets of your business doesn't mean they won't still come there or support your business after they air their grievances and get it off their chest.
I agree... Some people are VERY nitpicky and others butthurt so easy conversations rarely stay just conversations...haha

GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GPtuners » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:35 pm

Almost all the ranges I've been to requires you to run their ammo through their guns if rentals are available. I thought it was strictly a financial decision, but I can definitely see the liability aspect of it. We live in a society that allows people to sue over spilling hot coffee on themselves- in such a society I can see businesses having to take such measures to protect themselves.

For the record, I've never been to Open Range.

Thanks,
Carlos

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Vividia » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:13 pm

For instance - i recently bought my Uncle's ErmaWerk .22 Luger lookalike he has had since around 1970. He was pleased to bring with it some ammo, that I think was also from 1970 (box was marked $.49 LOL).

It was some seriously decrepit looking ammo, and will be disposed of properly and not shot. THe lead actually looks soft and fuzzy. I can't imagine shooting that, nor would I want the liability if I rented a gun and somebody who thought it "looked fine" shot it and something bad happened.

Also, I wouldnt want somebody testing their wunderspecial +p++ zip loads in my guns, and possibly hurting themselves or the people around them. A liability nightmare for sure.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 166 times

Post by nemo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:21 pm

Just left OR and had a great experience. The staff was really helpful and the RO even asked to carry one of my bags back to range. Spent more than I thought but worth it for nice well lit range.
Oh, how so high they fly........ only further to fall.

-Life

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dave1965 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:22 pm

I would imagine they may be overly nice now :)

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Toddstang » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Smithengineered wrote:
openrangesports wrote:

I'm not trying to say that you should sell "take out ammo". I know if I wanted to rent a gun the one box ammo limit would deter me from wanting to shoot. Just saying.
I'm sure when the ammo shortage is over they will let you shoot as much as you want.
Lets face it, the ammo shortage has affected all of us in one way or another.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Vividia » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:42 pm

Heck, pre-panic open range periodically sold ammo by the case cheaper than I could buy it off the internet plus shipping. I have bought thousands of rounds from there in the past few years.

I dream of the day ammo prices return to these levels.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:09 am

Dead horse post

Sent Cranky Style from IPhone via Tapatalk
A gun smith
502-231-1118

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:41 am

Well i guess I need to go to Open Range and see for myself.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:49 pm

Someone just posted this on a FB page I saw:

DO NOT DO BUSINESS AT OPEN RANGE IN CRESTWOOD, KY!!!!

I recently went to OPEN Range with my fiance' to look at a G26 for a CCW for her. She is military so I asked about the Blue Label Glocks. They had a gen 4 for sale for $489 before tax. I believed this to be much higher than what Glock sets the Blue Label prices at, but the kid that worked there assured me this is the price Glock sets. When I got home I called Glock customer service and the Glock set price is $398.20. I then called two other gun store in the area and they are selling Blue Label Glocks for $398 as specified from Glock. I then called Open Range to confront them on this because it was my understanding that retailers HAVE to sell Blue Label Glocks at Glock's set price. The employee over the phone informed me that the...y are not a "distributer" but a rather a "sub-distibuter" so they can and I quote "Sell them for whatever we want". He was rude and condescending. I understand that Glock prices are up and some dealers are charging premium prices for them which is fine, simple supply and demand. But when a dealer gouges a discounted price that is set for Military, Law Enforcement etc, that rubs me the wrong way. Then on top of that to argue about set prices and when confronted and asked why they are charging near $100 more, to be rude and condescending! Glock prices are coming down and they are charging more for a Blue Label then what I can get as a civilian from dealers that aren't gouging! I thought they had a really nice range and I enjoyed going there, but I will not be doing any business with them again! Open Range does NOT take care of our military members and their customer service SUCKS!

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Toddstang » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:52 pm

It depends on the supplier, I thought. Lets say you only sell 3 Glocks a month: You wont get special pricing for buying a bulk order, therefore you do not have to price Blue Lable pricing.
I seen posts similar to this on other sites as well.
Facts may be of importance before the witch hunt begins.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:38 am

yeah it does depend. My friends at Sherwoods are secondary (or sub-distributors) as they call them. Their Blue Label glocks are $25 more than the ones at Classic Firearms (who is a distributor). Those are the only two places I know about. I know Buds does the Blue Label program too. $100 seems to be not in keeping with the program intention though.

Return to “Everything Else”