How to clear a shared fence row?

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

How to clear a shared fence row?

Post by Jakob » Sun May 31, 2015 6:56 pm

I share a chain link fence row with a distillery in Shively. There are several trees, from sapling to full grown, on their side of the fence that are growing over my side of the property. Now, I am someone who likes to solve their own problems, so how can I fix this myself? I trim all the growth and limbs back from my property that I can within about 10'. However, above that, I can't reach the limbs and there is an abundance of growth over my property. Specifically, elderberry trees that are an absolute nuisance. On one side, I care to keep negations civil, whereas the other front I can care less about negotiations. So; how can i keep growth; vines, saplings, etc, out of the chain link fences around my property that affect me? I will enact scorched earth policies if it keeps the fences clean.
Livewire wrote:I remember when this was a free country and not a fascist one filled with limp wristed, tender hearted, liver lipped bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: How to clear a shared fence row?

Post by Toddstang » Sun May 31, 2015 7:01 pm

Call your metro council person. If that doesn't work kerosene kills off trees rather quickly.

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Sun May 31, 2015 7:27 pm

On one front, kerosene seems to be the trick. On the other front, I'm not sure. I want to remain civil that the neighbor, but removal of the elderberry tree is non-negotiable.
Livewire wrote:I remember when this was a free country and not a fascist one filled with limp wristed, tender hearted, liver lipped bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sun May 31, 2015 7:57 pm

Have you spoken to the folks at the distillery?

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Sun May 31, 2015 8:03 pm

Frailer wrote:Have you spoken to the folks at the distillery?
No, I haven't, but I'm not expecting that to do anywhere positive. However, that has been my first option... whenever I get the opportunity. However, it could set a precedent and they would have to clear a LOT of fence.

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Sun May 31, 2015 8:20 pm

If all else fails you could go see Sherry Connor who is the Mayor out there. I am assuming this is the distillery right there off Dixie Highway?
:llama:

ken6881
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ken6881 » Sun May 31, 2015 8:44 pm

Antifreeze will kill about everything it touches. But I would just ask nicely first never know they could see it as a publicity stunt for cleaning up the city and a reason to get some press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ky CCDW Instructor

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sun May 31, 2015 8:52 pm

I'd certainly speak to them before I decided to commit a crime.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rem700 » Sun May 31, 2015 9:06 pm

If it were me I would talk to the distillery. If they won't clear it, offer to do it for them if they are willing to let you. If that doesn't work then talk to your local council person.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rem700 » Sun May 31, 2015 9:07 pm

IIRC anything that grows into your property is yours and can be cut by you, I also believe if it is persistent growth you can force the owner to take care of it.

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Sun May 31, 2015 9:20 pm

Rem700 wrote:IIRC anything that grows into your property is yours and can be cut by you, I also believe if it is persistent growth you can force the owner to take care of it.

Not exactly. My former company got sued for that.

I would talk to the distillery. Just ask permission to cut what you can and if they say no then get reps involved or put a bag of salt at the base of what you want dead.
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

bigelowe
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by bigelowe » Sun May 31, 2015 9:36 pm

can you say FLAMETHROWER.........I keed I keed. anything on your side of the fence row can be cut by you.
Not everyone can be a winner or get a trophy, we are raising a society full of pu**ies

2nd place is the 1st place loser.

Currently looking for that unicorn.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sun May 31, 2015 9:49 pm

I would cut anything hanging over, you may need a tree company for the large trees , but a quality polesaw will get you up pretty high. You will still have to deal with the waste so maybe a tree company is your best bet. Beyond that I would spray the Shared fence with an herbicide such as pathfinder 2 , mulberry is a durable tree often herbicide is only effective on the cut stump but I would spray none the less.

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Sun May 31, 2015 9:59 pm

Mike wrote:If all else fails you could go see Sherry Connor who is the Mayor out there. I am assuming this is the distillery right there off Dixie Highway?
Yeas, it is this the distillery off of Dixie highway and I just from my experience from living here, the fence rows will not get cleared. Since I have lived in the area, they have only cleared one area, and what was the are that used to be where there was a base ball diamond at.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sun May 31, 2015 10:11 pm

If it hangs over your yard it doesn't mean you can cut it. The tree is on their property. You could get in trouble if you do it without permission.

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Sun May 31, 2015 10:21 pm

Which distillery? I know people at some of them. Pm me
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sun May 31, 2015 10:30 pm

Dave1965 wrote:If it hangs over your yard it doesn't mean you can cut it. The tree is on their property. You could get in trouble if you do it without permission.

When I was in the tree business, we were legally allowed to cut anything over the property line. We had a few instances where we were confronted and or sued , in every case we were considered justified. Much of that had to do with the fact that we were certified arborist capable of doing the work without endangering the tree, if you kill or harm the tree beyond the wounds from correct pruning you can be held liable for up to 3 times the value of the tree. In any case invasive mulberry on a fence row is hardly a quality tree.

The 3 S rules applies in this situation, Shear , spray, shut up. I would guess that they would hardly notice the death of a few weeds on the fence let alone prove anything.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sun May 31, 2015 10:34 pm

son of liberty wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:If it hangs over your yard it doesn't mean you can cut it. The tree is on their property. You could get in trouble if you do it without permission.

When I was in the tree business, we were legally allowed to cut anything over the property line. We had a few instances where we were confronted and or sued , in every case we were considered justified. Much of that had to do with the fact that we were certified arborist capable of doing the work without endangering the tree, if you kill or harm the tree beyond the wounds from correct pruning you can be held liable for up to 3 times the value of the tree. In any case invasive mulberry on a fence row is hardly a quality tree.

The 3 S rules applies in this situation, Shear , spray, shut up. I would guess that they would hardly notice the death of a few weeds on the fence let alone prove anything.

I agree. Most times nothing will happen, but there is the possibility, and he should be aware of the possibility.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Sun May 31, 2015 10:48 pm

Talk to them first...

SOL is spot on....U can cut anything that hangs over on your property.

And there's a clear difference between killing or cutting down mature tree vs killing weeds and/or saplings that are growing in the fence. If u maintain it by keeping new growth from growing, there shouldn't be an issue
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:39 am

Anything I can reach via polesaw or through the fence is pruned/cleared away. However, there are several larger trees (6" diameter or more) growing on the opposite side of the fence that venture over my property. Not to mention, there are a bunch of smaller "growths" that are entwined in the fence. It has been this way since we bought the house, but I'm getting tired of dealing with the results and want to gain control of the situation.

Step 1: Contact the distillery and see if I/they can take care of it from their side.

Robert Paulson
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Robert Paulson » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:36 am

Aaron its just like Road house. Be nice. Untill its time to not be nice. Simply call the business find out w ho the honcho is and ask nicely to meet you back there to discuss the issue. Business's will do a lot to keep the peace with people they share a property line with. Typically. If he tells you to go suck something then go to mayor or city rep. The second an elected official gets involved is when the other party will go on defense. And if it gets ugly carve a huge penis into the bark of the tree.

mtchbrian
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mtchbrian » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:13 pm

Are there berries on the elderberry trees?
Proud husband, father of 3, Iraqi Freedom Veteran, and Operation New Dawn veteran.

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:25 pm

mtchbrian wrote:Are there berries on the elderberry trees?
FFS yes, I have at least 2 of those damn trees in my fence row. Those things stink, are messy as hell, and draw flies.

First phone call: I was transferred from the secretary to a "Rick". Went to voicemail, left a message... no return call. That was at about 10am.

baknblack

Post by baknblack » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:25 pm

Round up is good stuff, just sayin.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Return to “Everything Else”