Clip vs Mag

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 12 times

Clip vs Mag

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:54 pm

I hear people argue about wrong terminology on gun forums, but this is by far the most prevalent topic. Does anybody else ever hear this?

Somebody asks a legitimate question regarding their firearm's magazine, but makes the mistake of referring to it as a clip. Then people pile on calling them ignorant, telling them to learn the correct terms if they want to participate in the holy art of internet conversation.

Then some jag-off expert will post the ID chart showing different types of magazines, with a comparison to a clip. Then ask "Are you talking about the clip for a C-96 Mauser Broomhandle, or the mag for a Ruger MkIII?

Serious? The kid is asking where to buy more mags for his new pride and joy GSG 1911! Do you think he knows what a C-96 is? Do you think he cares? He might in a few years, but ffs, he's new and wants someone to say "Sweet pistol dude, yeah I know where you can get more clips. Buy a couple more from XXXX, and get out there and shoot son!

The gun community is good people, but I hate the internet. Except KAC, you fucking rock!

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Clip vs Mag

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:56 pm

Ill rip you a new one! Call a mag a clip and ill fire off!

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:58 pm

I won't lie that it grates on my nerves to hear it wrong...but I don't jump on every person who mixes it up. There's a guy at work who is pretty big into guns, mostly buying/selling/trading. He has never used the word magazine...always clip. I've never said a word to him but I grate my teeth every tome he does it. Just a pet peeve

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:09 pm

jackalo626 wrote:Ill rip you a new one! Call a mag a clip and ill fire off!
But its ok if we're talking about a Glock, right?

:llama:

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:10 pm

Bad enough he had to call a magazine a clip, then he had to bring up Glocks :roll:
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:22 pm

Mexican Kerry wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:Ill rip you a new one! Call a mag a clip and ill fire off!
But its ok if we're talking about a Glock, right?

:llama:
You know nothing of Glocks foreigner! Collect your antiques and stand down!

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:27 pm

Haha, but they are clips if its a Glock. Rap says so.

Seriously though, is it that hard to let something like this slide and just help people out with their new interest? Sure, maybe let them know that its in fact a magazine, and if they want, explain the difference. But to unleash and trash them is unnecessary. Its also going to make them not want to come back to maybe learn more.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Toddstang » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:28 pm

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by son of liberty » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:31 pm

A mile is not a kilometer , even though they both measure distance .

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:40 pm

son of liberty wrote:A mile is not a kilometer , even though they both measure distance .
No arguing that. A mag is not a clip, but they both serve as a means of conveyance for ammunition. So, if this is a peeve for knowledgeable folks, said folks should clarify for the new shooters (or those stubborn old farmers with a bolt .22 that holds 10 in the clip) that there is a difference.

Personally, I let it go with people. Unless they seem to want to learn more about these things. If that's the case I'll do what I can to enlighten them (function/components/etc of a particular firearm). If I don't get that vibe, I'm not going to waste my time, they probably don't care.

But I don't jump on them for using the wrong word. Just me.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:53 pm

You're absolutely right MK. Perhaps it's because it's one of the few things that everyone within the "gun culture" knows, so it's a shibboleth of sorts.

Confuse an ejector with an extractor and you'll be forgiven, but call a magazine a clip and it's Katie bar the door.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:53 pm

I leave it to people who really care to argue the point, I could give 2 shit less honestly.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:26 pm

son of liberty wrote:I leave it to people who really care to argue the point, I could give 2 shit less honestly.
I never posted because I particularly care about the point, it bothers me more when people make a big deal about it, and I wanted to know what folks here thought.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:37 pm

Mexican Kerry wrote:
son of liberty wrote:I leave it to people who really care to argue the point, I could give 2 shit less honestly.
I never posted because I particularly care about the point, it bothers me more when people make a big deal about it, and I wanted to know what folks here thought.

Did not mean to imply that you did, just that I understand the point of correcting , but dont care enough to do it myself. It is never helpful to be a dick to new gun owners who might not know there mistake, and hardly an issue worth getting worked up about, so I would hope them that do feel the need to correct people on it, do it with some class.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Fair enough. But on the internet, class is often checked at the door haha.

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by rustynuts » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:14 pm

My brother and sister-in-law, both long time gun owners and freqent shooters, still call it a 'clip'. I don't bother to correct most people any more, I know what they're talking about.

I did get a bit of a shock at the gun show yesterday though. A friend from work, a "gun nut" if ever there was one, said he needed to find a 20 round clip for his AR. I must have looked at him a bit funny because he face palmed and said, "I know, I know....."

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:20 pm

Mexican Kerry wrote:Haha, but they are clips if its a Glock. Rap says so.

Seriously though, is it that hard to let something like this slide and just help people out with their new interest? Sure, maybe let them know that its in fact a magazine, and if they want, explain the difference. But to unleash and trash them is unnecessary. Its also going to make them not want to come back to maybe learn more.
To be clear I only correct people I know and having fun. Usually my fil because it works him up but not to a novice. Even if I did it would be tactful for education. If a person walks into a gunshop and calls a magazine a clip, they are going to be open season for an employee to screw them on price and advice on what they need.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:20 pm

Mexican Kerry wrote:Haha, but they are clips if its a Glock. Rap says so.

To be clear I only correct people I know and having fun. Usually my fil because it works him up but not to a novice. Even if I did it would be tactful for education. If a person walks into a gunshop and calls a magazine a clip, they are going to be open season for an employee to screw them on price and advice on what they need.

Manzanita

Post by Manzanita » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:26 pm

My buddy from Ohio who comes down to hunt every year on his FIL's (my neighbor a couple properties down) land, who is also a gun nut, constantly calls them clips. I've given up on correcting him. He also thinks deer have horns. I've given up on that, too. Every deer season he causes my OCD to flare up something awful, at least until he goes back to Ohio.
Vobis non me dux

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:28 pm

One of my buddies has been a shooter since he was knee high to a grasshopper, and is devoted to any and all aspects of sport shooting. Still calls them clips too. Some people you aren't going to change.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:32 pm

What bothers me more is when my buddy comes over and calls any of my pistols "45's", regardless of what caliber they actually are. He associates them with 45 so that's what all of them are. My little bit of ocd I guess. He's come a long way though, he used to also call 1911's "911's". And my nickel pistols will always be "chrome" to him.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:22 am

Well if somebody says "clip" for magazine then they don't know much, no matter how long shooting.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:35 am

Like nails on a chalkboard
Bet if you kept calling their car a bike they're correct you.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

irishrob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by irishrob » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:17 am

We have a guy at work that constantly calls a mag a clip but we just figure it's because he's from Indiana.

kyswede
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by kyswede » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:04 pm

2014-03-02 21.47.40.jpg
Cutting grass is the price I gladly pay for not being cold.

Return to “Everything Else”