No ear protection at the range

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
Jason
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

No ear protection at the range

Post by Jason » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:30 pm

I shoot down at Taylorsville pretty regularly and I'm always surprised how many people show up with no ear protection. You have to shoot through tubes at Taylorsville which makes high caliber guns even louder and more concussive than they are normally. I guess I'll start throwing in some extra foam plugs in my bag, I don't really feel sorry for people shooting since they should know better but a lot of times family members or girlfriends tag along and obviously don't understand how loud it's going to be until they get there.

1fastmach1

Re: No ear protection at the range

Post by 1fastmach1 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:32 pm

Jason wrote:I shoot down at Taylorsville pretty regularly and I'm always surprised how many people show up with no ear protection. You have to shoot through tubes at Taylorsville which makes high caliber guns even louder and more concussive than they are normally. I guess I'll start throwing in some extra foam plugs in my bag, I don't really feel sorry for people shooting since they should know better but a lot of times family members or girlfriends tag along and obviously don't understand how loud it's going to be until they get there.
Guns make a loud bang. Everyone should realize it's gonna be loud. I wear hearing protection while even shooting my 22s.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Marcus » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:33 pm

I usually carry extra as well. Never fails that someone either forgets or doesn't have any.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:46 pm

Marcus wrote:I usually carry extra as well. Never fails that someone either forgets or doesn't have any.
same here

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:49 pm

Jason wrote:I shoot down at Taylorsville pretty regularly and I'm always surprised how many people show up with no ear protection. You have to shoot through tubes at Taylorsville which makes high caliber guns even louder and more concussive than they are normally. I guess I'll start throwing in some extra foam plugs in my bag, I don't really feel sorry for people shooting since they should know better but a lot of times family members or girlfriends tag along and obviously don't understand how loud it's going to be until they get there.
I don't even want to think what some guns sound like in those tubes with or without ear protection.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 3 times

Post by ProCroation » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:27 pm

jackalo626 wrote:
Marcus wrote:I usually carry extra as well. Never fails that someone either forgets or doesn't have any.
same here
x3
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:31 pm

I can tell you a .308 sounds like a cannon going off in those damned tubes. The concussion can give you a bloody nose. Ask me how I know.

From the Wyldphone
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:34 pm

Why in the world would anyone want to shoot at a range like that? I hear otter creek is the same way. This sounds like a terrible idea. these ranges must have been built by lawyers.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:35 pm

1fastmach1 wrote:Why in the world would anyone want to shoot at a range like that? I hear otter creek is the same way. This sounds like a terrible idea. these ranges must have been built by lawyers.
ding ding ding
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:39 pm

Harbor freight offers deals on there muffs from time to time for like 2 bucks a pop, spend 20 bucks and get a bunch. They are a crap load easier IMO as they never get wore out so you never really run out.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Marcus » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:42 pm

son of liberty wrote:Harbor freight offers deals on there muffs from time to time for like 2 bucks a pop, spend 20 bucks and get a bunch. They are a crap load easier IMO as they never get wore out so you never really run out.
There's 3 pairs of those in my truck now. The foam type are for the giveaways.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 337 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:08 pm

I like the electronic ones but they piss me off at the same time. I have 3 pair and each of them only have one side that works. All 3 different brands. I'm a sweaty guy so that could be part of the problem. Another reason I'm not a huge fan of that style. They are hot as hell. I also have a few regular ear muffs and lots of foam ones. One pair that sit in your ears kinda like a hearing aid. Those are pretty nice. I really like the little cheap rubber cone looking ones on a string more than anything else. Those you can keep in your ears and have them snug in your ear where they really stop a lot of noise or slightly pulled out so if your back away from the firing line a little and you can still easily carry on a conversation but still stop some of the noise.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:17 pm

1fastmach1 wrote:Why in the world would anyone want to shoot at a range like that? I hear otter creek is the same way. This sounds like a terrible idea. these ranges must have been built by lawyers.
It's not too bad if you planned on shooting 100 yards anyway. As far as I'm aware there aren't any public outdoor ranges closer to east end Louisville. Knob Creek and Bowling Green are both very far from me.

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by etownguy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:23 am

I bought two pair of electronics off Amazon they were around $15 and work great. They unknowingly let me know when my phone is getting ready to ring as they pick up some interference noise.

But yeah I have no interest in shooting through a tube

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:44 am

The surefire ones are really nice.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

Return to “Everything Else”