Shrinking the Military

All things related to the veterans of our Armed Forces. Thank you for your service!
shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Shrinking the Military

Post by shelbygoat » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:45 pm

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013 ... plans.html

General Dempsey talked about this last year and issued a VERY similar statement.

No one listened.

Now its critical.

We had a meeting the other day and there were more than a few of us our names are on a seperation list. Good NCO's that I consider best of the best, just because of certain requirements. If they do cut the budget drastically, going to impact even harder than we are now.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: Shrinking the Military

Post by Toddstang » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:54 pm

I remember hearing about this last year as well.
Lets see, disarm the people, shrink the military:
Nothing bad could ever come of this.

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shelbygoat » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:21 pm

shrinking the military has been in the works for years now, the action phase is just getting started now

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Shrinking the Military

Post by jackalo626 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Operation destroy America.

Nolan
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Nolan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:53 pm

QMP is bad news- lost a lot of great NCOs to it
"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

-- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shelbygoat » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:16 pm

Nolan wrote:QMP is bad news- lost a lot of great NCOs to it
yup, not only QMP, also QSP now too

LCPL_NBREW

Post by LCPL_NBREW » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:59 pm

well the good news is that in my PLT as it stands today we have 5 NCO on march 1 3 of them EAS and they are kicking one of our CPL ( with 3 combat deployments) out of the BN cause hes been in the fleet to long and im still 100 points from picking up theres so much BS going on right now its not even funny
FOR OUR SINS

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:13 pm

That's one thing I can't stand about the military is how many decisions are made by politicians and not warriors. You don't ask a carpenter how to cull a chicken.
Livewire wrote:I remember when this was a free country and not a fascist one filled with limp wristed, tender hearted, liver lipped bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

Buccman37
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Buccman37 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:22 pm

and of course when the when a new war starts we will once again sell out the military
1.not having proper training
2.not the right equipment
3.lack of experience at the right levels
4.not the right troop levels
my list can go on and on

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:38 am

Jakob wrote:That's one thing I can't stand about the military is how many decisions are made by politicians and not warriors. You don't ask a carpenter how to cull a chicken.
Civilian control of the military is one of the core principles upon which our nation was founded. It does indeed suck when you're on the receiving end. I bitched about it back in the early 90s when the cuts came, and I pitched a royal hissy fit in 2003 on the Turkish/Syrian/Iraqi border when the criminally arrogant--and appropriately-named--Dick Cheney sent us somewhere we had no business going, but in the final analysis it's a good thing.

FWIW, I know a few of the green-suiters who worked on the Army's implementation of the sequestration that we may be facing. They're good guys who hated doing what they had to do, but they did their best. Here's a direct quote from one of them, made just a couple of days ago:

"...the question is how do we figure out ways to remove them from the Army without destroying their lives and families."

Not saying what's coming is good; not saying it's right. It just is what it is.

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shelbygoat » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:57 am

http://www.army.mil/article/94545/

this was just posted

notice USFK(US Forces Korea) didn't get funding cut, meaning only a few things

Harb

Post by Harb » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:16 pm

Buccman37 wrote:and of course when the when a new war starts we will once again sell out the military
my list can go on and on
You mean like we were pre-WWII?

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Harb wrote:
Buccman37 wrote:and of course when the when a new war starts we will once again sell out the military
my list can go on and on
You mean like we were pre-WWII?
Pre-WWII, pre-WWI, pre-Civil War (when there was *one* general officer, BTW)...

Read "America's First Battles." This is what we do.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:34 pm

The whole thing is garabage, granted if the Army would maintain a higher standard there would be less stagnant NCO's and less $hitbags in the ranks to kick out. I have received 1 Joe in the last 3yrs that was actually worth a fu@k.

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shelbygoat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:36 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:The whole thing is garabage, granted if the Army would maintain a higher standard there would be less stagnant NCO's and less $hitbags in the ranks to kick out. I have received 1 Joe in the last 3yrs that was actually worth a fu@k.
in the next year the NCOER system will be changing over to the new system, we had an NCOPD on it yesterday.

New blocks and no longer excellence, success, and need improvement. Will be either meets or standard or does not meet standard

also senior rater #s will be gone and replaced with new blocks as well, with updated definitions for the current leadership doctrine

change is coming, good or bad, its coming, and not everyone will meet those standards and will be weeded out

as far as shitbags, i have 30 -10 levels in my platoon in alone, you know how we deal with them when they are untrainable, after we attempt to train them, we first hit them with an Art 15, if they bounce back, then they are usually good, if not, we process them out of the Army...paperwork is too easy nowadays and that slot can easilty be filled with a more competent person.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:41 pm

It's bad... All bad. New Army is a joke, made up of lazy undisciplined privates who cry when you yell at them and younger NCO's that don't know how to lead their soldiers.

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shelbygoat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:49 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:It's bad... All bad. New Army is a joke, made up of lazy undisciplined privates who cry when you yell at them and younger NCO's that don't know how to lead their soldiers.
I don't have one undisciplined private. They may not know what to do, but untrained and undisciplined are two different things to me.

I do not agree with the automatic promotion system, but any competent leader knows how to stop it from happening. I have 2 SPC in my section headed to WLC soon, 1 i would like to see promoted, the other WILL NOT be promoted under my command.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:12 pm

Then you've either lucked out or we have a different opinion of what disciplined is... Either way this kinder/gentler Army is complete bull$hit.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:16 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:It's bad... All bad. New Army is a joke, made up of lazy undisciplined privates who cry when you yell at them and younger NCO's that don't know how to lead their soldiers.
If it makes you feel any better, the first time the "this new Army is a joke" line was used was in 1775.

We were bitching about the lousy soldiers we were getting 25 years ago, and I'm sure the Vietnam vets bitched about us.

Shelbygoat got it exactly right. Be glad you have the option of getting rid of those who won't get on the train.

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shelbygoat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:29 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:Then you've either lucked out or we have a different opinion of what disciplined is... Either way this kinder/gentler Army is complete bull$hit.
I haven't lucked out. I have worked hard and earned everything I have done, as well as many other Soldiers have, are, and are contiuing to do. I have changed with the Army. Fact is the newer generation is different than our generation in how we train, fight, PT, conduct daily operations, etc. Therefore, the leadership has to change with them and adapt to the new programs and training tools the Army has provided us.

I chose to jump on that train because I am active duty and in till retirement, this is my career, 100% with everything I have. It may be a kinder Army, but it is not our generation that we are teaching. You can instill the same discipline we got in defferent ways. Do I still skull drag them motherfuckers at 0300 in the morning, yes, I have done it twice when soldiers have come back drunk, late, or have left a battle buddy for one reason or another. We have a tank tow bar sitting just outside the barracks. That is one method of teaching them.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:46 pm

Fair enough, and I respect your opinion. However, my squad will uphold the old army standard or they can find a new home. This is why I'm probably transferring to the LRS unit upon return of this next deployment.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:31 pm

shelbygoat wrote:...Fact is the newer generation is different than our generation in how we train, fight, PT, conduct daily operations, etc. Therefore, the leadership has to change with them and adapt to the new programs and training tools the Army has provided us.
Bingo. You were different than us...they are different than you...and they'll complain about the useless slackers that show up in their squads when their turn comes.

The world turns. Being a good leader means playing the hand you're dealt.

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shelbygoat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:58 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:Fair enough, and I respect your opinion. However, my squad will uphold the old army standard or they can find a new home. This is why I'm probably transferring to the LRS unit upon return of this next deployment.
standards remain the same

i was discussing training and how the method of discipline which does play into standards and they all overlap one way or another

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:54 pm

shelbygoat wrote:
DDgunslinger wrote:Fair enough, and I respect your opinion. However, my squad will uphold the old army standard or they can find a new home. This is why I'm probably transferring to the LRS unit upon return of this next deployment.
standards remain the same

i was discussing training and how the method of discipline which does play into standards and they all overlap one way or another
Hahahahahaha

325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.

Post by 325MOUTguru » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:11 pm

I have to agree with DD on this.
We were trained certain ways to prepare us to actually do our job.
If you can't operate under the highest levels of stress you are a liability to yourself and your team.

Trying to use civility while training to engage in savage circumstances is insane.

Tactics evolve, equipment gets better but if we raise personnel unprepared to use it when it counts the most we might as well have spent all that money on wellfare.

YMMV

Return to “Veteran Affairs”