Response to "why would you not want a safety?"

Forum for your two most popular Tupperware handguns. Glock and XD.
Dr. Chadenstein
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Dr. Chadenstein » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:36 am

I am trying to get into guns. I am still gun-less. I have been studying up and have pretty much decided that a 19 is the way to go, preferably a Gen 3 and maybe lightly used to save $$. My dad, who is not a big "gun" guy (though he owns a few so he is more of one than I am) asks me what i am thinking of getting and I tell him "lots of folks say to get a Glock and don't look back"...

He says that I am asking for trouble. He says "why would you want a gun with no safety?" Of course, i explain how the safe action system works--there are actually 3 safeties that work together--but he says "No, you need a manual thumb safety, especially on your first gun."

I have never even fired a Glock and neither has he, but what would you tell him? He means well, of course.

"...if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."--Jesus of Nazareth, Luke 22:36

"Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your families, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes." Nehemiah 4:14

"If a thief is caught breaking in at night and is struck a fatal blow, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed." Exodus 22:2

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Marcus » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:02 am

First rule, keep your booger hooker off the trigger. If your finger isn't squeezing that trigger, that gun will not go bang.

Second, a manual safety is one more thing to "think" about in a situation where you may have to use your pistol to defend yourself.

I carry both glocks and 1911's. I have trained myself to do the "thumb sweep" when drawing my 1911. It wasn't natural and I wasn't good at it at first, but practice has made it something I didn't have to concentrate on doing. If you aren't going to practice at length disengaging the safety on a weapon, my advice would be to buy one without it. A glock 19 would make an excellent first pistol, IMHO.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Response to "why would you not want a safety?"

Post by scorpionmain » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:23 am

I agree with Marcus.

Treat every gun with respect.
A manual safety sometimes causes a false seen of security.
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:47 am

some people are not comfortable with the glock design. Sometimes those people do not know a whole lot about it and after a little shooting they are able to love the "newer" striker type setup. Sometimes they prefer a revolver, 1911, da/sa, etc, and that is fine..there is a HUGE market to pick from, whatever type they prefer. shooting and becoming familiar with how far and hard you really have to "accidentally" pull a glock trigger for it to ND is what got me over the idea that it was inherently any more dangerous than anything else. the trigger pull weight is more than the weight of the gun, so it takes a purposeful pull to fire. also the pull is about half an inch, much more than a single action gun with the safety disengaged, a da/sa after the first shot, or a cocked revolver. One benefit of the design for a new pistol shooter is that you kind of go into it slightly apprehensive about the lack of safety, which leads you to learn trigger discipline a little better than other designs where you are relying on a mechanical safety or a 15lb double action pull to make the gun "safe".

325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.

Post by 325MOUTguru » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:07 am

Less to think about in a stressful situation.
Also if it save a millisecond, that millisecond may say your life.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:39 am

I have all types and have trained with them all. They are different and as long as your finger doesn't pull that trigger then no problem. I carry a Glock 27 most of the time but also carry my FNP-9 as well with the safety/decocker and it is second nature to turn it off upon drawing from holster. Get what you feel comfortable with.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:46 am

I've carried a Glock, 1911, HK and XDM....all slightly different with respect to safeties, but I've never had one of them ND on me de to the safety, or lack there of. Any NDs were due to a malfunction of the safety between my ears.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rem700 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:32 am

I agree with what everyone else has said....ND usually occur due to operator error and not the firearm and in a stressful situation(ie fighting for your life) flicking the safety could be the difference between your life and theirs.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:35 am

Not sure why some are so against having safeties, you don't have to use it if you don't want to, no one is forcing you.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:40 am

WLJ wrote:Not sure why some are so against having safeties, you don't have to use it if you don't want to, no one is forcing you.
Im not against them by any means....just eliminating variables in stressful situations seems like a good idea to me.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:44 am

Rem700 wrote:I agree with what everyone else has said....ND usually occur due to operator error and not the firearm and in a stressful situation(ie fighting for your life) flicking the safety could be the difference between your life and theirs.

That's why you train, I like to think people, at the least, do some training with their carry weapon. Train to flick the safety off during the act of drawing the weapon. Do it enough times and it becomes automatic. Don't like the safety, then don't turn it on in the first place. You still need to train though.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:46 am

Not.that.we.are so against them, the question was "why would you not want a safety?" Pertaining to a g19. Many who have commented have safeties on their shotguns, rifles, 1911, etc.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:48 am

SNL wrote:Not.that.we.are so against them, the question was "why would you not want a safety?" Pertaining to a g19. Many who have commented have safeties on their shotguns, rifles, 1911, etc.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting then. Could be a holdover in mind from another forum where some were acting like they're insulted by the mere presents of a safety

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:50 am

WLJ wrote:
Rem700 wrote:I agree with what everyone else has said....ND usually occur due to operator error and not the firearm and in a stressful situation(ie fighting for your life) flicking the safety could be the difference between your life and theirs.

That's why you train, I like to think people, at the least, do some training with their carry weapon. Train to flick the safety off during the act of drawing the weapon. Do it enough times and it becomes automatic. Don't like the safety, then don't turn it on in the first place. You still need to train though.
Agreed on all counts. It was just my personal preferance that i did not want a manual safety on my gun and i gave my reasoning why. But yes training iis key!

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:53 am

No one is advocating not training. On a handgun that is coming out of a holster with the trigger covered, no manual safety is one less thing to remember, keep track of, practice, screw up, etc. its not the only way, its just a way, like everything else its a design with some strenghts and some weaknesses.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:06 am

Well, it does take a while to grasp the idea of "no safety" for people.....Think back when u were a kid shooting a gun and how much making sure the safety was engaged was pounded into your head (was with me anyway)

The word alone "safety" makes people feel more secure........

For someone that hasn't been around hand guns alot I can understand why they would be skeptical....I suggest going to the range and just shoot the gun and become comfortable with it and shoot until you trust it........

I will admit when I got my first 1911, I was a little skeptical of carrying "cocked and locked" .......I still have friends and family that see the gun and can't believe I carry it cocked and ready to rock.........Until you are used to it, it is a little "unnatural" But after I shot with the gun a lot and became comfortable with it, I can comfortably carry it cocked and locked and feel 100% safe with it.........

All I am saying is I understand your dads concern..........If you decide to go with the Glock ,maybe you can talk him into a few range trips with you and even change his thoughts on the concept too........

Good luck with whatever you decide
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:20 am

Free to choose!

Most of my guns have safeties, my main carry gun (Rohrbaugh R9) does not by the way.

travisccook
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by travisccook » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:51 am

I went with an XD with grip safety for my first carry weapon. Everyone who carries responsibly knows that trigger + finger = boom, but it /does/ take a while to trust that knowledge. Ensuring your holster is clear before putting the gun in is not absolute second nature until you've been doing it a while imo. It took me a while to absolutely and fully trust the retention capabilities of my Holster - I still carry empty around the house for a few days any time I get a new or different holster to ensure retention. Comfort and confidence in your carry weapon and method is important, if getting an 'external' safety on your first weapon helps you get that comfort and confidence then I'd encourage that route.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Unattributed

Dr. Chadenstein

Post by Dr. Chadenstein » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks for the replies. The sheer number of Glock users over the last 25 years is in my favor. My dad makes it sound like it is driving a car without brakes. That is just not the case.

"...if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."--Jesus of Nazareth, Luke 22:36

"Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your families, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes." Nehemiah 4:14

"If a thief is caught breaking in at night and is struck a fatal blow, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed." Exodus 22:2

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by KYgundude » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:24 pm

This is just my opinion only. Manual safeties make it more dangerous for me. Im afraid in a crunch situation when extremely scared (im not the brave shooter so many others seem to be/portray)I may forget to flip it.

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Safety's hahahahahahaha who needs them!!!

Is it more fun without a rubber or with? Safety..... Heh
---------------------Integrity, Honesty, Discipline, Respect-------------------------
WLJ wrote:Damn I need to install a Till filter.
GeminiXD9 wrote:I hope your fu**in car falls apart while your doing 70 on the highway

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:24 pm

TroyBuilt wrote:Safety's hahahahahahaha who needs them!!!

This guy makes a great point lol!!!! What were we talking about again? :lol:

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:27 pm

To each there own, it all comes down to shooter preference and what each individual is comfortable with.... with that said G17 FTMW!

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:30 pm

Some people should have used a cond...I mean safety...

:llama:

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by KYgundude » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:11 pm

TroyBuilt wrote:Safety's hahahahahahaha who needs them!!!

I might have to put this one in my sig

Return to “XD & Glock”