Response to "why would you not want a safety?"

Forum for your two most popular Tupperware handguns. Glock and XD.
Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Response to

Post by Rem700 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:11 pm

ssracer wrote:Some people should have used a cond...I mean safety...

:llama:
TRUTH!!!!

Mudcat
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Response to "why would you not want a safety?"

Post by Mudcat » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:39 pm

I prefer the no manual safety on my handguns. The safety is between your ears not a mechanical device that can be on, can fail, can be off when you least expect it. Finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target or as I like to say in class booger hook off the bang switch until the sights are on the target.
A manual safety gives a false sense of security. Train, practice, train again and practice.

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by scorpionmain » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:23 pm

...or you could carry like I am having to today. I am in dress clothes with a tucked in shirt. My holster don't work well in these clothes. So, I don't put one in the chamber of the g26 & throw it in my pocket.
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

kyswede
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by kyswede » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:16 pm

scorpionmain wrote:...or you could carry like I am having to today. I am in dress clothes with a tucked in shirt. My holster don't work well in these clothes. So, I don't put one in the chamber of the g26 & throw it in my pocket.
G26 in the pocket FTW.
Cutting grass is the price I gladly pay for not being cold.

wash
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by wash » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:17 pm

What's that old saying, the safety is between your ears.

I have guns with and without them. Main advantage to me in not having a safety is that it's one less thing to snag when concealed carrying. Very few revolvers have safeties.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by KYgundude » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:08 pm

The crime here is that they call it a "safety". Poor choice of wording. Should be called the "trigger lockout" or something that doesn't imply the gun is now safe to put in your mouth.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:12 pm

scorpionmain wrote:...or you could carry like I am having to today. I am in dress clothes with a tucked in shirt. My holster don't work well in these clothes. So, I don't put one in the chamber of the g26 & throw it in my pocket.
tuckable IWB FTW

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:37 pm

Most all the NDs I have heard of when useing a Glock, Happen after a stressfull situation or shooting when the gun is being reholstered. That would say to me that the folks who had them were trying to holster the gun with there finger on the trigger, now if they dont have the frame of mind to remove there finger from the trigger how would not haveing the frame of mind to re apply the safety make them any better off?

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:50 pm

With the XDm having the grip safety I have made the habit of when reholstering, once the muzzle is in the holster I remove my hand from the grip completely and push the gun the rest of the way with my thumb on the back of the slide

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by scorpionmain » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:55 pm

Keep your booger hook off the trigger
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:16 pm

Dr. Chadenstein wrote:...I have never even fired a Glock and neither has he, but what would you tell him?
I'd tell him revolvers don't have thumb safeties either.

Safeties, IMHO, provide a false sense of security, and in the case of some pistols (my old M9, for example) they don't always stay where're they're put. They are essential on some firearms--hunting rifles, for example--but in the case of revolvers or double action or pseudo-DA semi-autos that are carried in a good holster that covers the trigger they're nonessential.

As others have said, the *best* safety is training yourself to always keep your booger hook off the bang switch unless you're in the process of shooting something.

The only handgun I have with a thumb safety is my Ruger Mark II, and I almost never use it.

Personally, if I were concerned about a negligent discharge I'd rather carry a semi-auto with an empty chamber than carry one with a thumb safety.

This is all my opinion, of course. Your mileage may vary. The baddest guy I've ever known typically carries a Browning Hi-power in condition one, so what do I know?

325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.

Post by 325MOUTguru » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:26 pm

scorpionmain wrote:Keep your booger hook off the trigger
End of thread

Rebel Panda

Post by Rebel Panda » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:46 am

I'm a firm believer that the best safety is your head. The more you complicate things I feel like the more likely your bound to get yourself hurt or hurt someone else. :llama: Pandas two cents (Actually value in US currency is about half a cent)
Sometimes life is hard

Dr. Chadenstein

Post by Dr. Chadenstein » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:30 am

I never followed up this thread--I just saw it linked as a good "intro to Glock" read...

Many here know I bought a Gen 3 19 FDE and I have not looked back!

"...if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."--Jesus of Nazareth, Luke 22:36

"Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your families, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes." Nehemiah 4:14

"If a thief is caught breaking in at night and is struck a fatal blow, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed." Exodus 22:2

Return to “XD & Glock”