Long term primer & powder storage data point

For all your cast boo-lit needs.
Napoleon
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Long term primer & powder storage data point

Post by Napoleon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:43 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I retrieved some reloading supplies that I stashed away in the early 1990's when we had the first AWB panic. The supplies contained maybe 1000 blue-lubed boolits, brass, about 2,000 large pistol primers (CCI & Winchester) and three one-lb cans of Winchester 231 powder. All caliber items in 45 ACP. They have sat unmolested for 20 years in an area with temperatures mostly 50 - 70 deg. F, dry but with ambient humidity. No special container, just sitting in a cardboard box and in the original factory packaging.

I loaded up a box of these a few days ago and headed out to the range today. I only loaded one box because I wasn't too sure what to expect & didn't want to have to pull boolits out of a bunch of dead rounds. For comparison, I also had a box loaded with fresh powder and primers and using the same load data.

Well, I was very pleasantly surprised to have all rounds fire strongly and accurately. The "old" loads all felt and performed identically to similar loads using fresh powder and primers.

I have read about guys storing powder and primers for decades but, when it's YOUR powder/primers and YOUR decades (and you know all that went on in the storage area and the many possible ways stuff can get damaged/corroded/wet/etc.) -- you have misgivings about using that old stuff. At least I did today.

Anyway, I was impressed and intend to shoot up this old stuff until its gone. Once the prices of the supplies come down a little bit, I'm going to restock and I'll be set for another 20 years!

Hopefully, millions of us are doing this nowadays and I thought that my experience might encourage you to try long term storage yourself.

ken6881
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Long term primer & powder storage data point

Post by ken6881 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:04 pm

that is good to know I have started my hording of supplies and to know that if its still there years from know it will most likely be good makes me feel better.
Ky CCDW Instructor

Bigtw

Post by Bigtw » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:45 am

I have a similar scenario but my small Winchester pistol primers went partially dead. Have to shoot single action/hammer cocked to get them to fire. They are from late 90s. All Federal primers work fine. My old powder is fine as well.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:55 am

As long as the powder is dry and not stored in a hot area

Powder and primers are not hydrosopic.
Lead bullets will oxidize and copper will corrode, especially with dissimilar metals and galvanic reaction.

So store those items accordingly.

Wow a whole post with big words and it makes sense :llama:

kyswede
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by kyswede » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:32 am

I am still using Red Dot and Blue Dot powder purchased in 1994.
Cutting grass is the price I gladly pay for not being cold.

Return to “Reloading”