For all your cast boo-lit needs.
JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0

Powder Help!?

Post by JustShootIt » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:23 pm

Like most shooters I've toyed with the idea of reloading for a while. Biggest reason I've avoided it is due to the lack of knowledge. But after lucking into what I believe is a nice stash of powder, I think I'm ready to take a stab at some reloading.

Da-Law-Dawg made several nice threads about reloading and we have so many members here that are experts, I am sure I have the resources to figure it all out.

This morning I ran into a neighbor at our local country store aka the loafers shack........Long story short we all were talking guns and somehow got to talking about reloading. Next thing I know he tells me to follow him home.....Soon as we pulled in he went into his garage and walked out with a large box of various powders!

Pics below.........maybe some of you all can tell me what I got. I've done a little research on-line....as stated, I am a virgin to re-loading so any info is appreciated. Also, is age of some of this powder a big concern? A couple of the containers are marked Dec. 11, 1998.......a few of the others look like they could be quite a bit older than that. Several are unopened and all are at least 3/4 full.....besides one bottle of the 4350 that is about empty

Here's what I got:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0

Re: Powder Help!?

Post by Toddinlou » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:29 pm

The best advice I can give you is to pickup a reloading manual like the Lee reloading manual. It will give you enough of an understanding to get started as well as basic load data.

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Dustin » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:36 pm

What caliber are you reloading for we can start there. Everything you have pics of is rifle powder. 760 748 are good 223 - 308 powders. The Hodgden, Win, and IMR powders the is load data for them on Hodgden website. Start a min. charge and work your way up till you get over pressure or great groups. Don't set your bullet past max over all length that make the pressure to high to fast.

Get a copy of the ABC's of reloading. I it will teach you alot.
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Nolan
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Nolan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:41 pm

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

-- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:43 pm

I plan to start with 223 and some 270.......My real interest would be rifle.....perhaps some 300 blackout later.

I have a reloading book at home that I got at a yard sale or something....don't recall the title.......will be looking into some manual asap........

I guess powder age isn't a big issue?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:56 pm

JustShootIt wrote:I plan to start with 223 and some 270.......
I guess powder age isn't a big issue?
Actually no
A bigger issue is heat and moisture
Heat can degrade power quickly

You want my honest answer is that was nice but if you got that for free it may be bad.

Try a light load and work up from there and follow the damn book.

Da-Law-Dawg

Post by Da-Law-Dawg » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:55 pm

As long as the powder is sealed and stored in a climate controlled environment, it should be good to go. Google Hogdon reloading data, they have data for Hogdon and IMR powders. Great source for data.
I came into this world kicking and screaming, covered in someone else's BLOOD. I have no problem going out the EXACT same way!!

Mudcat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mudcat » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:09 pm

The 4064 is good for 30-06 in a Garand, so it is good for .223 and .308 as well The R15 is pretty versatile good for .223 and .308. The 4350 is great .270 and .243 powder. I don't see anything that looks very common for 300Blk.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Vividia » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:18 pm

ABC's of reloading should be mandatory reading before anything else - good, easy to read overview

Then pick up at least two reloading manuals. As a rule of thumb, at least one should be associated with the bullets you plan on using (like hornady or sierra or speer etc) and the other can be more of a general reference like Lee Reloading manual (cheap and tons of info) or something from Lyman. Lyman has a big comprehensive manual and then more specific books like pistol loads and such. All of these have basic information about loading in addition to the recipes.

Another good reference is Powder Profiles. This is really helpful when trying to select a powder, since it focuses more on the best uses of specific powders rather than being tied to a particular bullet. It is a compilation of monthly reviews from Handloader over the years. An interesting feature is that the older powders like Unique have multiple articles in the book, so you can see how loads have changed over the years using the same powder.

Then there is another called Favorite Loads or something like that - can't remember who the author is since I am at work. I use it, but not as much at this point. I have only been hand loading a year, and expect i will have more of an appreciation for this one as I grow as a reloader.

Being the information junkie that I am, I own all the above mentioned books, so I can vouch for their usefulness.

But the initial keys are the ABCs (recently revised) and the two loading manuals. As has been mentioned above, start low (but not too low) and work your way up to the sweet spot. However, when you select your powder/bullet combination, and before you load the first case, it is very, very important to cross reference any selected load, including the case trim lengths, overall cartridge lengths, and other specs. It would be sad if the ONE you picked had a misprint for the min or max load, and you didn't double check everything before you went to town with the powder.

I started reloading to save $$, and find myself enjoying the reloading and testing new loads to me as rewarding as the shooting :)

Good luck!
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Return to “Reloading”