Storm shelters

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Storm shelters

Post by justang1997 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:55 pm

Saw this by the Wal-mart in Radcliff yesterday. I called the number and its $5,500 installed. $4,500 if you bury it yourself.

Anyone on here have one, or something similar. I was thinking of all the non storm shelter uses this has. Make a great "basement" to a tool shed. Nice and hidden.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Storm shelters

Post by ssracer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:57 pm

That's pretty cool

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Storm shelters

Post by Rem700 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:59 pm

pretty cool, very similar to the fiber glass ones the guy on that doomsday bunkers show makes. Only $500 discount if you bury it yourself? Really? it costs more than that to rent and have delivered a backhoe for a day.

O and yea im guessing this is the "floor model" being that it is missing a side lol.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 63 times

Storm shelters

Post by Marcus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:59 pm

School bus. Bigger, cheaper, and only slightly harder to bury.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Storm shelters

Post by justang1997 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:01 pm

School bus is cheaper? Lol.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:02 pm

Marcus wrote:School bus. Bigger, cheaper, and only slightly harder to bury.
Busey???? :llama:

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 63 times

Storm shelters

Post by Marcus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:13 pm

justang1997 wrote:School bus is cheaper? Lol.

Than $5000. Yessir.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Livewire » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:21 pm

These are cool. I doubt most people would even notice it was a shelter. Not as hidden though.

http://eurekastormshelters.com/BelowGround.aspx

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Livewire » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:26 pm

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:40 pm

Livewire wrote:These are cool. I doubt most people would even notice it was a shelter. Not as hidden though.

http://eurekastormshelters.com/BelowGround.aspx
But i dont have a pimped out doublewide to fit it to! :llama:

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Livewire » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:53 pm

LOL. It could be made to fit a school bus!

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BIGC » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:56 pm

there is a small storm shelter at one of the older houses in hillview. I can see the door of it and the air vent but I havent seen the inside or how big it is...
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

Jff24Gordn
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jff24Gordn » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:15 pm

That fiberglass top doesn't look that strong.
But it does look better than my basement.

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:23 pm

I think I could do better and cheaper buying either a 20' shipping container or finding one of the surplus steel boxes at a military auction.....

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Rebel Panda

Post by Rebel Panda » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:25 pm

When I get land I'm just gonna connect and bury a few of those big steel shipping containers
Sometimes life is hard

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:03 am

Lol.....this is sitting in the empty lot next to my office....never opened this thread.....

This guy said he has sold a ton of them....he set it there a couple Weeks before the last big set of storms we had...afterward he said the phone rang off the hook...

These can be had alot cheaper than this....theres a guy n Meade Co that had some he was selling for $3900 installed.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

GeminiXD9
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by GeminiXD9 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:44 am

BIGC wrote:I think I could do better and cheaper buying either a 20' shipping container or finding one of the surplus steel boxes at a military auction.....
Supposedly, depending on how deep u bury, those shipping containers fold like a deck of cards. The sides aren't made to withstand the pressure. Not 100% sure about that but it would really suck to run out to the shelter to find out its caved in. Hahaha
"That's how we do. We keep it light til it's time to get dark. Then we get pitch black."

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:16 am

GeminiXD9 wrote:
BIGC wrote:I think I could do better and cheaper buying either a 20' shipping container or finding one of the surplus steel boxes at a military auction.....
Supposedly, depending on how deep u bury, those shipping containers fold like a deck of cards. The sides aren't made to withstand the pressure. Not 100% sure about that but it would really suck to run out to the shelter to find out its caved in. Hahaha
If you just throw it in the ground and put the dirt around it yes......... most people I see burying them put concrete around them for support..... plus if you bury them you need to cover them in rust resistant paint...

GeminiXD9
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by GeminiXD9 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:25 am

Yeah. That would work. Make a concrete barrier then put a container in. Didn't think of that. Not too bad of an idea when u think of it that way.
"That's how we do. We keep it light til it's time to get dark. Then we get pitch black."

Next
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Next » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:31 am

I called a company in Columbia that had some similar. Too small for me and they said that condensation can be an issue. Doesnt seem strong enough for me for the money.

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ian » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:37 am

I have a buddy out in Lebanon junction who has a couple of these shipping containers. He stores cars in them while he waits for parts.
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

burn360
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by burn360 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:02 am

BIGC wrote:
GeminiXD9 wrote:
If you just throw it in the ground and put the dirt around it yes......... most people I see burying them put concrete around them for support..... plus if you bury them you need to cover them in rust resistant paint...
If you are gonna use concrete to support it why not just make a concrete bunker and not waste your money on a shipping container?
Hard Core Wild Banshee Style!!!!!

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:05 am

Doomsday Preppers

Some older guy built a underground city pretty much, out of school buses, I'm not sure if he used anything else to support it...
---------------------Integrity, Honesty, Discipline, Respect-------------------------
WLJ wrote:Damn I need to install a Till filter.
GeminiXD9 wrote:I hope your fu**in car falls apart while your doing 70 on the highway

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ian » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:20 am

burn360 wrote:
BIGC wrote:
GeminiXD9 wrote:
If you are gonna use concrete to support it why not just make a concrete bunker and not waste your money on a shipping container?

I would think if we were to have an earthquake, and the concrete was to crack. The metal containers would hold there own. And atleast keep some of there shape. Also I think depending on how you did it you could insulate the area with the expanding foam to help retain some heat etc.
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dave1965 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:47 am

GeminiXD9 wrote:Yeah. That would work. Make a concrete barrier then put a container in. Didn't think of that. Not too bad of an idea when u think of it that way.
Sounds like a coffin and vault :)

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”