ATF to streamline SBR process?

SBR goes here. Have questions about trusts, gas systems, draco's, etc, ask away.
ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

ATF to streamline SBR process?

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:25 pm

They want your input.

Read article:

http://www.guns.com/2013/07/23/atf-requ ... plication/
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Re: ATF to streamline SBR process?

Post by ssracer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:31 pm

Here's my input....remove SBR and Supressor from needing ATF tax stamp approvals.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:40 pm

ssracer wrote:Here's my input....remove SBR and Supressor from needing ATF tax stamp approvals.
hahahahhahahhahhaaaaaa......

They laugh at your frustration with their bureaucracy and they fart in your general direction!
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:53 pm

Lol. While the digital payment idea is nice, I don't see that speeding up te process since my check was cashed about a week after I mailed it...then it was 5-6 months for everything else

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by Wyldman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:13 pm

Now 8 to 9 months for everything else.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 338 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:16 pm

ssracer wrote:Lol. While the digital payment idea is nice, I don't see that speeding up te process since my check was cashed about a week after I mailed it...then it was 5-6 months for everything else
I agree...Mine was cashed within a month.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:17 pm

If you have a government security clearance that is valid, I think your paper work should be pushed forward and approved. There really shouldn't be a wait time cause you've already cleared everything.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:21 pm

I'd say the same for anyone who has already gone through the wait from hell once. You already have all of my info. As long as nothing has changed just run a BG check and be done.

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:28 pm

The whole idea that most people have of a "class III license" would be nice. One stamp all the NFA items you want.... I'm dreaming again.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:43 pm

Toddinlou wrote:The whole idea that most people have of a "class III license" would be nice. One stamp all the NFA items you want.... I'm dreaming again.
There is no "class three license"

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:54 pm

I know this but it's something you hear all the time discussing NFA items with people.

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:05 pm

I know this but it's something you hear all the time discussing NFA items with people.

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:22 pm

Toddinlou wrote:The whole idea that most people have of a "class III license" would be nice. One stamp all the NFA items you want.... I'm dreaming again.
That would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Marcus wrote:KAC, marrying above their league since 2012.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:45 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:If you have a government security clearance that is valid, I think your paper work should be pushed forward and approved. There really shouldn't be a wait time cause you've already cleared everything.
I don't like that idea as in specifically giving an easy pass to "govt friends" when there are many people who already have their info that shows they are ok such as concealed carry license holders for example. If I can walk into a gun store and buy a gun and ammo with my 5 min background check/nics check then there is no reason whatsoever that I can't walk in and buy a suppressor. Even if they kept the fun tax attached to it (which is bs to say the least) I should be able to walk in and get the object that doesn't actually fire the projectiles easier than the gun itself.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Vividia » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:13 pm

I can SORT of get why SBRs were on the list at the time the list was written. But these days with the S&W 500 and the .50AE Desert Eagle, the Ruger Casull, and such, big things come in handgun packages that don't involve a tax stamp, so the list has become outdated as is. It should be revised to leave things like bazookas on the list, but remove SBRs and the like.

What I don't get is why suppressors were ever even on the list in the first place.

These things aren't like the movies where they are like dog whistles, or "where no one can hear you scream," so I don't see a huge crime wave happening with suppressed guns. You can still hear them, it's just partially to mostly muted. In Europe, of all places, aren't they common so as to reduce hearing loss specifically and environmental noise in general?
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:16 pm

Hey, how about paying attention to the "Shall not be infringed" part.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:19 pm

Yes, they are. In Great Britain and France, who have some of the most onerous gun laws on the planet, you can walk in to any hardware store and suppressors over the counter, no tax, no permit, zip.

Since when has the .Gov given 2 shits about "shall not be infringed"?
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:54 pm

I wish they would speed it up. I applied for my first stamp yesterday after work. I hear it's gonna be a 8-10 month wait. What a bummer!

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Thinking of SBRing the PS90
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:08 pm

WLJ wrote:Hey, how about paying attention to the "Shall not be infringed" part.
Ultimately I believe all of the restrictions are illegal anyways but I am responding to the logic of them wanting to make it easier. Gun bought in 5 min and suppressor wait 9 months.... Ridiculous.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:59 pm

guncrank1 wrote:
There is no "class three license"
I think that was his point.

The $200 "mother may I" fee each and every time I want to make/buy a SBR/SBS or buy a suppressor doesn't bother me *nearly* as much as the government insisting on complete background check each and every time. My TS/SCI clearance is still valid, KY runs a NICS check on me every single month (in addition to the background check they ran when I began teaching), I have my C&R license, and over the years I've provided the Feds with at least 10 fingerprint cards and three DNA samples. I've never even received a speeding or parking ticket forgoodnesssakes. I'm a certified "good guy"...OK?

Let's *do* come up with a new license: $300 (or $1,000) every three years and we get to make or buy all the toys we want. Sign me up.

jmeister
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by jmeister » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:02 pm

Another thing that really sucks is SOTs having to get Form3 approvals. Add another month or so if your dealer doesn't have what you want in stock.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:08 pm

YA YA YA , its a bitch and the wait sucks and it could be improved , How many of you sent them an Email

Gary.Schaible@atf.gov

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:21 pm

WLJ wrote:Thinking of SBRing the PS90
The only way those guns look right anyway

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:30 pm

son of liberty wrote:YA YA YA , its a bitch and the wait sucks and it could be improved , How many of you sent them an Email

Gary.Schaible@atf.gov
Great idea. Done:

Dear Mr. Schaible,

With regard to the laudable efforts on the part of the BATFE to reduce paperwork, I contend that the proposed changes don't go far enough.

While I hold no strenuous objection to the requirement to pay a $200 excise tax on the transfer of NFA items, I find the requirement for a background check for each and every transaction to not only be onerous, but also a heinous waste of time and public funds.

Using myself as an example: [blah, blah...personal details...yada, yada] Would it really be a wise use of resources to spend months and untold dollars to vet me further before granting me permission to purchase a device that would allow me to participate in sports I enjoy without inflicting further damage to my hearing?

If we really want to streamline the system without compromising public safety, let's come up with a new "NFA Collector's License." I think an initial licensing fee and three-year renewal charge similar to those required of 01 FFLs wouldn't be unreasonable, even if the current excise tax were to be retained, and I feel certain it would reduce the administrative burden on your agency while providing cost savings to the taxpayer.

Many thanks for your time and consideration.

Return to “Short-barreled Rifles”