MAC Suppressor Rebuild

NFA suppressor discussion goes on here. Silencers, cans, the wonderful things that make it our firearms quiet.
Smithengineered
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times

MAC Suppressor Rebuild

Post by Smithengineered » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:39 pm

Has anyone on here sent out their MAC suppressor for a wipeless rebuild? If so is it worth it? Quieter than wipes? Should I just get some round stock neoprene and cut my own wipes?

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: MAC Suppressor Rebuild

Post by Toddstang » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:02 am

Not sure if the same thing but this guy will be at the MGS next week: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-parts-acc ... ost1570752

richief
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by richief » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:48 pm

if you make your own, I suggest being very sure the outside diam. and I.D. are exact, and concentric. otherwise accuracy may suffer from deflection.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:33 pm

richief wrote:if you make your own, I suggest being very sure the outside diam. and I.D. are exact, and concentric. otherwise accuracy may suffer from deflection.
No deflection with a wiper as it is a made to be shot.

Smithengineered

Post by Smithengineered » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:14 pm

Toddstang wrote:Not sure if the same thing but this guy will be at the MGS next week: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-parts-acc ... ost1570752
Unfortunately I don't have the can yet. The KAC suppressors are smaller. Thanks for looking out though.

Smithengineered

Post by Smithengineered » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:33 pm

I thought wipes were no longer regulated by the ATF??

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:22 pm

Well according to the guy they still are.

Smithengineered

Post by Smithengineered » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:01 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412553470.473785.jpg
Found a ATF letter that had this in it. The way I read it is that as long as I'm not replacing the end cap or baffles then I am good to replace wipes on my own??

Either way I'm still thinking that I just want to send it off to have Bowers or AWC do a rebuild with upgraded baffles if someone thinks it is worth the $250 cost. Lol

Rext
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Rext » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:30 pm

The way I understand it is ATF still considers the wipes as a baffle. If you meek new ones,you are making new suppressor components....
Case in point. The legal oil filter suppressors. Even though the adapter is the registered part, the actual filter is considered part of the suppressor. If you were to replace it yourself with a new one,you would have created new suppressor part. Just by screwing it on. The correct and legal way to replace it is to send it to the manufacturer,or class 2 manufacturer, for replacement. I know,stupid.
I would just have it rebuilt by bowers or just buy a new can. The replacement wipes will get shot out again anyway. I have a couple of the old MAC cans and they are just a collectible in my opinion.
If you had them replaced and they just miraculously never wore out,,,,,, I don't think anyone would question it. FWIW
Kentucky Firearms
Kentucky's class three dealer
..When you just want to shhhoot!

Smithengineered

Post by Smithengineered » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:15 pm

Rext wrote:The way I understand it is ATF still considers the wipes as a baffle. If you meek new ones,you are making new suppressor components....
Case in point. The legal oil filter suppressors. Even though the adapter is the registered part, the actual filter is considered part of the suppressor. If you were to replace it yourself with a new one,you would have created new suppressor part. Just by screwing it on. The correct and legal way to replace it is to send it to the manufacturer,or class 2 manufacturer, for replacement. I know,stupid.
I would just have it rebuilt by bowers or just buy a new can. The replacement wipes will get shot out again anyway. I have a couple of the old MAC cans and they are just a collectible in my opinion.
If you had them replaced and they just miraculously never wore out,,,,,, I don't think anyone would question it. FWIW
Very true! Thanks for the input. What kind of hoops would I have to jump thru to send out the suppressor to a company that rebuilds them? Just fill out a ATF Form 5320.20?

Rext
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Rext » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:02 pm

Some do it differently but some I have dealt with just ship it back and forth without paperwork since it's just a repair. Contact whoever does it and they will tell you
Kentucky Firearms
Kentucky's class three dealer
..When you just want to shhhoot!

Smithengineered

Post by Smithengineered » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:11 pm

Rext wrote:Some do it differently but some I have dealt with just ship it back and forth without paperwork since it's just a repair. Contact whoever does it and they will tell you
Ok thanks!

Return to “Suppressors”