Active Shooter Drill

Want to discuss politics, religious affairs, legal items, this would be the place. Keep the discourse civil please.
Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 57 times

Active Shooter Drill

Post by Rem700 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:54 pm

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/10 ... s-victims/

I still cant comprehend why they teach people to hide vs run? Ok i get they need to "protect" everyone and keep everyone accounted for but all this does is make everyone a sitting duck. Im not even going into the gun debate on this. I know we pretty much all agree that gun free zones are bullshit and people need to be allowed to protect themselves (or others in this case) no matter where they are as long as they are a law abiding citizen. But my question still stands. Why the hell do we teach people to hide in place instead of getting the fuck out of the building? Doors and glass aren't gonna stop the crazy person from getting to you and best case scenario the cops are minutes away.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Active Shooter Drill

Post by Rem700 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:57 pm

Are we fundamentally trying to change our natural instincts of fight or flight to just hide and hope someone else saves your ass?

Rhetorical question......

DDgunslinger
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by DDgunslinger » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:04 pm

Anyone who has ever talked to me about this, knows my stance on it. Teacher's/School systems are poorly trained, on how to handle an Active Shooter scenario and it's easier to just tell them to hide and barricade the door, instead of putting in the time and money to train the staff members of schools nation wide.

Now there are about 5 more paragraphs I could write to go into more details on, how to offset cost, type of training and etc... but the above pretty much sums up the answer to your question.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dave1965 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:26 pm

I believe the teachings for our office have been centered around:

Escape if possible
Hide
Fight back

in that order

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Dave1965 wrote:I believe the teachings for our office have been centered around:

Escape if possible
Hide
Fight back

in that order
I guess that is the disturbing part of these "drills" IMO. There is never a call to escape or fight back......just simply hide and wait to either die or be rescued.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:37 pm

Rem700 wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:I believe the teachings for our office have been centered around:

Escape if possible
Hide
Fight back

in that order
I guess that is the disturbing part of these "drills" IMO. There is never a call to escape or fight back......just simply hide and wait to either die or be rescued.
Certainly "usually," but not "never."

I'll not discuss my school's specific plans, but "hide" isn't our only option.

Our priority is to keep children from getting shot, by the surest available means, depending on the situation.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dave1965 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:12 pm

barricade the door is the drill I think

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:40 pm

Shoot the mother fucker should be the drill.
Do that a few times and I would be willing to bet we would start having a lot less of them starting this shit.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:45 am

WLJ wrote:Shoot the mother fucker should be the drill.
Do that a few times and I would be willing to bet we would start having a lot less of them starting this shit.
GTFOH with that logic and common sense!
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:24 am

WLJ wrote:Shoot the mother fucker should be the drill.
and stop reporting his life story on the news. leave his name out of it and just report it as a thwarted attack by armed citizen.
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:39 am

As a SRO for a very large school in my county, i like the lock the door drill. If shots are fired at the school im working in, i dont want to have to make my way to the fight through a panic crowd of innocent students that will make it harder to return fire. Also many shooters have plans of hearding students into fields of fire like an ambush. Locking down the school severely limits their targets of opportunity.

Return to “Legal/Politics/Religious”