Biden Wants Review of Gun Laws After Trayvon Shooting

Want to discuss politics, religious affairs, legal items, this would be the place. Keep the discourse civil please.
Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Biden Wants Review of Gun Laws After Trayvon Shooting

Post by Rem700 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:47 pm

ssracer wrote:Slavery is still alive and well...people have allowed themselves to become slaves of the government via welfare and other "entitlement" programs.
the differance is now its voluntary and the entry line is around the corner.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:50 pm

reparations = money for something that happened to there ancestors and in no way affects them whatsoever.....for all you folks playing along at home.
Lio wrote:I truly hope you can see how ignorant that statement is. Do you realize that this country was built upon the unjust slavery of black people? Yes, it was a long time ago, and, no, I am not saying that reparations are needed to rectify slavery in the past. The idea of reparations can be intelligently debated for or against; however, to say that slavery "in no way affects them whatsoever" is just plain dumb.
Reparations cannot be debated intelligently from both sides. One side is emotional devoid of fact, the other is fact based.

Are their effects today? Of course! One could reasonably argue that because they were born here of slave parents they are better off than had they been born into a tribe in modern Africa. While it might seem all granola bar-ish to head out and live at one with nature in an African tribe, I would bet 10 to 1 odds that if you displace any 10 folks raised here to that kind of life 9 would be ready to come back inside a week to ANY ghetto project where they could sit on a couch in the free AC and watch the big screen wile talking on their free cell phone.

Slavery is not just an American issue. And I would submit that even had we not used slaves in the early stages of this society, we would still be where we are. Share croppers and hired hands were little better than slaves in many areas up until LONG after slavery was abolished. it was likely cheaper to hire some of those folks and not be paying for medical treatment, housing, etc, etc than to keep slaves. Remember, slaves were a bought livestock. You don't buy them to beat them to death, you buy them to work, as hard as they can as much as they can.

now I am not condoning slavery. I just want to know where you think that reparations should start and end? The Muslims still take slaves today in their society. Should they pay reparations now and for as many generations as we can count? Would that money only be taken from the estates(or taxes) of those of us who have family that was here during those years? Most of my family immigrated here in the 1920's from Norway and Ireland. Should I still be held responsible because I am American and white? Oh wait, the Vikings took slaves too... I guess they are culpable as well, but then we would have to pay reparations to more than just the blacks. What about going back to the Roman Empire? Would that be far enough back? You know the Romans did not invent slavery don't you? We can go back further...

The argument FOR reparations is purely emotional. It cannot be argued intelligently from both sides, not by a long shot.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:15 pm

my 'heritage' includes past relatives dying on the Trail of Tears, yet some of their descendants were the first to go to America's defense at the time of war- to serve their country -instead of whining about what happened to their ancestors and claiming all of their failures and shortcomings were the fault of the White Devil.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:31 pm

ssracer wrote:Slavery is still alive and well...people have allowed themselves to become slaves of the government via welfare and other "entitlement" programs.
Not true, slaves actually got up in the morning and accomplished labor.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:34 pm

I don't condone slavery at all but I didn't have slaves, nor did my father or his father and so in several generations so in no way would I see how I would pitch into a fund for descendants of slaves who didn't experience it nor have generations of their family. More than blacks were slaves as the masses would like to ignore.

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by scorpionmain » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:55 pm

I am Scots-Irish, my family reached America through White Slavery with the British.
I want my reparations too!
:llama:

Black folk aren't the only slaves to have ever been.
I say, Get over it.
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:17 pm

And people always seem to forget where the black slaves came from. They were traded to the white man by the other black tribes in Africa who had conquered their tribe and made them their own slaves.

We are a civilized people and slavery is bad, yes, no argument there.

But the black American slaves started as African slaves. Still want to be called African-American?

Eireguy
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Eireguy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:13 am

Biden=asshat

Return to “Legal/Politics/Religious”