Shooting at Hardshell Tactical

Want to discuss politics, religious affairs, legal items, this would be the place. Keep the discourse civil please.
Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Shooting at Hardshell Tactical

Post by Rem700 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:38 am

He shouldnt have gotten involved but stray bullets can kill anyone including him so it is reasonable to say his life was in danger

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:37 am

Rem700 wrote:IMO with the evidence released to us he has a 50/50 shot at beating this charge

Up to the jury , Albrights best bet is to go to trail .

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by rustynuts » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:52 am

Rem700 wrote:IMO with the evidence released to us he has a 50/50 shot at beating this charge
But he'll probably lose everything in a wrongful death suit filed by the family.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:53 am

rustynuts wrote:
But he'll probably lose everything in a wrongful death suit filed by the family.
Agreed

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:49 am

rustynuts wrote:

If he beats the criminal charge he should be individually immune to any civil suits. I do not think the business will have that immunity, but only a lawyer would know for sure.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by rustynuts » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:52 am

Should be, but I bet he's not.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:43 pm

Do the people who thought he did wrong still feel the same after the new update with video?

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:47 pm

ChopperDoc wrote:
rustynuts wrote:

If he beats the criminal charge he should be individually immune to any civil suits. I do not think the business will have that immunity, but only a lawyer would know for sure.
I know it was in California but OJ got hit with a civil wrongful death suit after beating the criminal charges and he lost that one.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:05 pm

I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. Pretty sure a not guilty verdict in a criminal proceeding does nothing to insulate that person from a civil lawsuit.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by justang1997 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:39 pm

Gunsmokin wrote:I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. Pretty sure a not guilty verdict in a criminal proceeding does nothing to insulate that person from a civil lawsuit.
In KY it does. 503.085 provides criminal and civil immunity if you are justified in use of force.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:42 pm

justang1997 wrote:
Gunsmokin wrote:I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. Pretty sure a not guilty verdict in a criminal proceeding does nothing to insulate that person from a civil lawsuit.
In KY it does. 503.085 provides criminal and civil immunity if you are justified in use of force.
That is pretty common. I just wonder how it works if they want to go after his business.
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

shaggy1392
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shaggy1392 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:56 pm

jackalo626 wrote:Do the people who thought he did wrong still feel the same after the new update with video?
I still think he should have stayed inside. If it's true that one raised the gun at him then yes I think he was justified to shoot. The only problem is that he shot both of them and only one appears to have been the bad guy. That's what I think will be hard to justify in court.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:26 pm

jackalo626 wrote:Do the people who thought he did wrong still feel the same after the new update with video?
Yes

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:27 pm

Thanks for responding.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:30 pm

Agreed with shaggy.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:41 pm

I can't say that I would have done any differently except maybe sheltered behind a car in case they decided to start shooting up more stuff. Its hard to know what will run thru your mind or what was running thru this guys in this case. I don't know why he shot both but I would say I could not convict him in a court of law if I was on the jury.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:07 pm

justang1997 wrote:
I stand corrected. Thanks.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:25 pm

If they shot at him, I think its justified. He was told people werte fighting eith guns outside, its a moral dilemna.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:03 pm

Tomahawk wrote:If they shot at him, I think its justified. He was told people werte fighting eith guns outside, its a moral dilemna.
I see all sides of it. I am saying though that he at least tried to do something helpful vs staying inside and letting them shoot the other or others in the lot without doing anything and feeling like a coward for the rest of his life and blood on his hands. I air on the side of caution though and wouldn't have likely got involved.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:37 pm

PDM wrote:
justang1997 wrote:
That is pretty common. I just wonder how it works if they want to go after his business.

Not sure either. The HOA where Zimmerman lived settled with Martin's family out of court long before the trial even started. Not sure why any lawyer would tell them too, and we will probably never know, but if the courts allowed the suit to happen in the first place I would say that the law (Florida's is similar to ours) then even though Zimmerman was not personally able to be hit with a civil suit the business associated had no such immunity.

I imagine he had his personal stuff all tied up in the business. Not gonna be much left if they can go after the business on the civil side even with a not guilty verdict.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Eireguy
Has liked: 17 times

Post by Eireguy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:42 pm

If his lawyer is suprised by an indictment i would suggest getting a new one .

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:03 am

What I said at the beginning of this still applies: Believe the "sheepdog" hype at your peril.

Or, if you want to keep that label because it makes you feel all manly inside, remember: the sheepdog takes care of *his* sheep...not *all* the sheep.

ETA: I wasn't in this guy's shoes, so I can't make a definitive judgement about how good/bad/smart/idiotic this guy's actions were, but as someone else already said, if he could go back in time I'll bet he'd do one or two things differently.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:32 pm

Frailer wrote:What I said at the beginning of this still applies: Believe the "sheepdog" hype at your peril.

Or, if you want to keep that label because it makes you feel all manly inside, remember: the sheepdog takes care of *his* sheep...not *all* the sheep.

ETA: I wasn't in this guy's shoes, so I can't make a definitive judgement about how good/bad/smart/idiotic this guy's actions were, but as someone else already said, if he could go back in time I'll bet he'd do one or two things differently.
No retry in life. You make the best decision you can at the time.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:14 pm

jackalo626 wrote:
Frailer wrote:What I said at the beginning of this still applies: Believe the "sheepdog" hype at your peril.

We're saying the same thing.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:19 pm

Frailer wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:

We're saying the same thing.
I know. I wasn't correcting, I was agreeing.

Return to “Legal/Politics/Religious”