Optic comparisons(Aimpoint T1 vs Acog vs Leupold 1.5-5x)

Red dots, fixed power, variable, whatever optics you use,post up here.
Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Optic comparisons(Aimpoint T1 vs Acog vs Leupold 1.5-5x)

Post by Mike » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:24 pm

If you are considering one of these or similar, here is my opinions on the three.

Aimpoint T1 Micro in Larue High mount. ~$600
Trijicon ACOG TA31RCO M150CP in Larue RCO mount ~1200
Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 1.5-5x variable power in Larue SPR mount. ~1200

First things first. All three of these scopes serve very different purposes. The T1 is clearly the smallest and is more of a close quarters(CQ) quick dot system designed for fast target acquisition. The ACOG is a fixed 4x magnification designed for mid to longer ranges and is also a battle proven optic. The Leupold is sort of a mix in between with the variable power and illuminated reticle. It's also the biggest of the three.

Let's start with the T1. This little CQ red dot is an amazing scope, and has been popular since it's release. The only difference between the T1 and the less expensive H1 is the T1 is night vision compatible. Not a big selling point to 98% of Americans. It's the smallest of the three, the lightest(at 172 grams!), and also the cheapest. Usually around $600 with the high mount. This scope is great for rapid, close target acquisition. This one was an earlier version with the 4moa dot, but now you can also get a 2moa dot, which is supposed to be better if you want a magnifier behind it. Accuracy is as expected with a red dot, with several settings for brightness, this scope is very nice. You can basically leave the red dot on and not have to worry about battery life for a few years. It's rock solid as well. I have seen them dropped and banged up and they still hold a zero. If I was buying an optic for smaller ranges(150 yards or less) or for a home defense rifle, or a patrol rifle, this would be my first choice. For law enforcement that are not able to use magnified optics on their patrol rifles(LMPD), this is a great choice as well. Small enough to not get in the way and open up your field of view, but large enough to be a dedicated optic. Plus, you can see your irons through it if you want.

Next is the ACOG. I've had several different ones over the years and recently sold a TA31F with the red chevron and missed it so much I had to buy this to replace it. I don't even have a rifle for it yet! Anyways, this is the middle of the group on size and weight. It offers fiber optic and tritium to always have illumination. The fixed 4x magnification is great for a little more distance. At 100 yards this is still one of the easiest to shoot, and definitely a favorite. No batteries to worry about with these, always ready to go. There are many different reticles available, usually with red or green and your illumination. I really like the red chevron as it stands out more against green foliage in the background. You can also use this closer that 50 yards, but it takes a little more training to get used to how to do it. If I was wanting to build an all around battle rifle for end of the world survival, this one would be my choice. Also a bullet proof optic that you can bang up without worrying about it. It's usually about twice as expensive as the Aimpoint, but it has it's place. It's also more than twice as heavy as the T1 at 388 grams.

Last is the mix of the two, the Leupold MK4 Medium Range/Tactical(MR/T). This has an adjustable magnification of 1.5-5X. It's about the same price as the ACOG, but a lot heavier at 628 grams! It's also the largest of the three. What it lacks in weight and size, it makes up for in versatility. With the adjustable magnification and illuminated reticle, you can use this scope for almost anything. Want to shoot close? No problem. Want to try your luck at 800 meters? You can probably do it. I myself can't do it, but a good shooter could! This is my first scope like this, and I wanted it for a few purposes. I wanted a range toy for shorter distances but the ability to use it on a hunting platform. I wanted to have a better "precision" rifle at longer distances. This is the scope for that. It's bigger, heavier, and bulkier, but definitely more versatile. If you want to have a range toy and a hunting /precision toy, and aren't into the "tactical end of the world" scenarios, this might be your option. This one is calibrated on a 62 grain 5.56 cartridge.

:llama:

Return to “Optics”