Rimfire rifles. 10/22 home.
KYGlassman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Some of Papaws guns...

Post by KYGlassman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:41 pm

These two old .22's belonged to my grandfather.

This Steven 62 (same as a Savage 64) is quite accurate and shoots reliably. I have since acquired a second one that has a black colored trigger. Also the barrel comes loose from receiver easily on the recently acquired one. It is also prone to jamming and has higher serial number. I can't figure it out. One day the gun shoots fine, the next day, same ammo and all it jams every few rounds. However the one pictured below is quite the little rifle.

This old Springfield 187N was designed to shoot shorts, longs and LR. It does the latter two very poorly, constantly jamming. There are a few threads about this on rimfirecentral.com should anyone else find themselves in posession of one of these. Shorts seem to be the sweet spot for this rifle. Some earlier versions of the rifle carrying a bolt designed for 22LR shoot those round reliably. That bolt is available at Numrich but I'm having a hard time making myself shell out 80 bucks for one. Still, it was handed down from my Gandpaw and I'm tempted to try it.

Neither of these are worth much beyond sentimental value but I wanted to share them.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 63 times

Some of Papaws guns...

Post by Marcus » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:43 pm

Sentimental value is sometimes the best value. Nice guns!
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

jmeister
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Some of Papaws guns...

Post by jmeister » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:02 pm

The Springfield looks to be in great condition

KYGlassman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYGlassman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:24 pm

Grandpaw bought cheaper guns but took really good care of them. It was all about taking game for him. Many times we fried freshly harvested squirrels for breakfast.

renovatio
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by renovatio » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:39 pm

I love that springfield.
We have learned better than that, and know it more, for it is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. -C.S. Lewis

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Some of Papaws guns...

Post by ssracer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:42 pm

I've got an old Stevens 12ga that was my grandpaws...one of those guns that I'll never get rid of

KYGlassman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYGlassman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:44 am

renovatio wrote:I love that springfield.
Yeah, aint' the wood purdy on that one. You may have motivated me to order that heavier bolt that may turn this gun into a reliable 22lr shooter. Shorts are more expensive than LR's!!!

I can't count the number of deer he took with a 22 short right to the ear. I'm not that kind of shot but he was. That's how deer were taken in his day before hunting turned into a pc quagmire and terms like "humane kill" were invented. You could either shoot well enough to hunt or you didn't eat. Twas' a different world...

KYGlassman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYGlassman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:45 pm

I ordered the bolt assembly today. I sure hope it gets this gun cycling 22LR reliably. For some reason I really like that old gun. Previous models of the gun with a different bolt, hammer springs and all dedicated to 22LR cycled them fine. Cool thing is, I can swap bolts to cycle short well or 22LR if this works.

It was this model supposedly designed to cycle all three that only did well with the 22 shorts.

However, I sunk 80 bucks into this old gun. I'll report once I get the part from Numrich.

Return to “Rimfire Rifles”