Do I want an FNP .45?

Sig Sauer, Taurus, Hi Point, Bersa, anything but Glock and Xd.
1fastmach1
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Do I want an FNP .45?

Post by 1fastmach1 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:31 pm

Wyldman wrote:I have a shot at an FNP .45, NIB with 3 mags for $570.00. I don't need it, but am a .45 junky, as many here know. I have heard many good things about these pistols, and very few negatives. I do find the 15+1 capacity attractive, and don't mind full size handguns.

Is the price reasonable? I'm wanting opinions here, good, bad, indifferent, whatever. Speak!
To answer your question, an FNP .45 is a sweet pistol. I had the fnx 9 and thought it was a nice piece. It is a little bulky but not awful. It was really accurate too. My only beef was the availability of goodies for it. It was next to impossible to find a good holster without having a custom one made. And since we are talking about mag prices, they are $45 each. Otherwise, sweet shooter for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1fastmach1

Do I want an FNP .45?

Post by 1fastmach1 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:13 am

Coach wrote:
1fastmach1 wrote:
Coach wrote:
1fastmach1 wrote:
Coach wrote:
Wyldman wrote:I have a number of .45 pistols, including a G21 with more window dressing than Macy's. That's not my question. I wanted to know opinions on the FNP .45, hopefully from those with experience with them, or their smaller caliber bretheren. If you feel that you can provide realistic input based on internet, or other sourced, reading, then feel free to contribute, but you'll forgive me if I pay more attention to those with real hands on experience. Quibbling over a few bucks for magazines in the world of high dollar combat handguns just seems; well, silly, honestly. Yes, Glock makes a fine pistol, and for comparitively reasonable money, but it ain't the only game in town. To truly appreciate what you have, one must often try what one doesn't have or has never seen. New things come along all the time, and sometimes the next 1911 is just ahead on the road to perfection.

Well said.

To add- try all flavors. I never knew how much i'd like an FNP until I tried it. Then it opened my door back up to the beretta m9, which I really really like and keep coming back to.

Wyld- I will say, screw some HK mags though. $45-60? HK hates you. :D
I've got a few HK pistols and I've never paid over 40 for a mag. I just bought six brand new in package P30 9mm mags for $180 bucks shipped. Pretty decent deal. It's hard to find good factory HK parts on the secondary market. The hkparts.net website commands a premium for everything. I've had to order from them a couple times and it didn't feel good. I bought a mark23 about four years ago and I've purchased a few mags for it. They were the most I've paid for HK mags and they were unfortunately $40 each.

HK hates you too. :) I have owned one. It was a great pistol. I sold it to wyldman. I wasnt willing to put the $$$ into it. I'm a mag whore.
I don't dispute the fact they are a little pricey but as someone else said to bitch about paying $40 for a mag for a high end semi auto pistol is pretty silly. You get what you pay for right?

I guess. And to clarify I am not bitching. I'll go ahead and disagree with you get what you pay for. Havent seen an HK do anything an FNP, M9, Glock, etc can't do other than impress other gun people. If thats what you are paying for, then yes, you do get what you paid for.
Maybe bitching was a poor choice of words. Trust me. I hated the fact they were $45 each and was tickled to death it came with three mags. I'm referring to my old fnx9. 17 round mags was super sweet too.

Generally speaking of course, most cheap guns are exactly that..... Cheap. Disagree?

Doesn't the FNP 45 have the green soft case? If so... Bonus! Love those cases.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:17 am

If you have to complain about magazine prices, stick to a revolver :).

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:32 am

Bought a NIB FN FNP .45 w/3 15 rd mags on GunBroker last night. Got a decent deal on it, $590, including shipping, insurance, & xfer. Black frame w/stainless slide.

Now, I go shopping for a threaded barrel, tall night sights, and whatever trigger mods I have to make to make it into a full blown Tactical version. When I'm done, I should be on the right side of an off-the-shelf FNP .45 Tactical by nearly $300, the cheapest I've seen thus far being over $1100.00.

Merry Christmas to me from Mrs. W! She loves me, I think!

ETA: Cut & pasted from the Pit to update this thread.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:51 am

How do I become a member to access the pit?

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:33 am

Talk to the founders.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:41 am

Wyldman wrote:Bought a NIB FN FNP
Rule!
Wyldman wrote:Now, I go shopping for a threaded barrel
RULE!
Wyldman wrote:Merry Christmas to me from Mrs. W! She loves me, I think!
RUUUULLLEEEEEE!

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:05 am

Wyldman wrote:Talk to the founders.
Alrighty

Congrats ontogeny FNP. That FNP tactical 45 is one of my favorites. I have a tan model myself. Came with the soft case and all that jazz. Nice pistols.

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by scorpionmain » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:34 am

It's on my list of wants.
Buy it and be happy.

Edit :
See you already did.
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Livewire » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:51 am

The FNP-45 is a great shooting pistol. It's easily taken down for cleaning and being able to change out the back straps make it more comfortable for the shooter. My only complaint is the magazine springs. On two separate occasions I've had FTF with two different magazines using WWB and federal round nose ammo. After doing some internet research I found s few others have had the same issue. A few people returned the magazines to FN and waited for the turn around to exchange them. A few people took their mags apart and simply stretched the springs a little and reassembled. I went that route before contacting FN and exchanging mags. I've ran over 100 rounds with both of the mags and haven't had any problems since. I'm not sure of the exact cause of the problem since I've never left the mags loaded since I only use it for range use and it wasn't with all three of the magazines. With that being said I'd definately buy one again.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:17 am

Roman wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
Roman wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
Roman wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
Roman wrote:
Wyldman wrote:Really? Try buying some Sig, H&K, or even Ruger handgun mags. They all run in the same price range. Glock mags aren't that much cheaper.

I've never paid more than $25 for a factory glock mag. I'm just surprised at how much that magazine costs. Ive never priced or really wanted and HK because to me, it won't do anything that my glock won't do accept cost me more money.
We have all gotten things cheaper than retail and the quantity of Glocks out there makes them easier to sell cheaper sometimes but the retail is very much in the same ballpark as the others.

Understand. Dont want to thread stomp. I can make another thread to discuss mags.
It's not "thread stomping" when we are discussing the same topic the op asked about. We are talking about the gun and it's costs of ownership. He needs pros and cons so this is one that pro or con depends on who you are.
Ok. Was just trying to be polite.

Then my question would be why not have a glock 21? Its high capacity. It doesnt have all the other crap the FNP has (that is unnessecary in my opinion). Its mags are far cheaper.

OP said in another thread he has an HK USP. So what does the FNP do other than be a cheaper, yet still expensive copy of the same style gun?

I guess if you just want to get one to collect 45s.... Your money, you do what you please with it. :)
FNP have steel sights and not cheap Glock plastic sights, made in USA, comes with three mags vs Glocks only two mags, capacity is 15rds of 45 vs Glocks 13. Those come to my mind in the value of the FNP. Many reasons for different wants. The Glock has more options for aftermarket accessories such as holsters, sights, extended controls, etc.
The other side is a lack of aftermarket support, lack of holsters, lack of magazines (and expensive). Unless it comes with steel night sights, whats the real difference between plastic and steel sights? I've never had a sight break and I'd wager it isn't a common problem. I don't know a lot about FNP other than their long guns. It just seems to me it's not much better than a Glock 21, or the HK the OP referenced before. YMMV.
Holster is a sheet of Kydex and hardware
Or a piece of leather and hardware.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:20 am

Livewire wrote:The FNP-45 is a great shooting pistol. It's easily taken down for cleaning and being able to change out the back straps make it more comfortable for the shooter. My only complaint is the magazine springs. On two separate occasions I've had FTF with two different magazines using WWB and federal round nose ammo. After doing some internet research I found s few others have had the same issue. A few people returned the magazines to FN and waited for the turn around to exchange them. A few people took their mags apart and simply stretched the springs a little and reassembled. I went that route before contacting FN and exchanging mags. I've ran over 100 rounds with both of the mags and haven't had any problems since. I'm not sure of the exact cause of the problem since I've never left the mags loaded since I only use it for range use and it wasn't with all three of the magazines. With that being said I'd definately buy one again.
Stretching the spring does not do anything
Magizine spring will go back to it's set again.

Sounds like whatever jamming was removed on reassembly.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:30 am

Livewire
Springs are ok loaded for long periods
The time spring get weak is in use
Over time and many cycles of compression and relaxing , the spring will collapse beyond the set.

Will post pic of FN .45 when it arrives.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:39 am

guncrank1 wrote:Livewire
Springs are ok loaded for long periods
The time spring get weak is in use
Over time and many cycles of compression and relaxing , the spring will collapse beyond the set.

Will post pic of FN .45 when it arrives.
Exactly.

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Livewire » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:42 pm

I'm just gonna go ahead and disagree.

When the over all length of the spring is longer after being stretched and remains that length for an extended period of time before being put back in the magazine.

Unless the new pistol was shipped with used magazines there's no way they were weak from being used. Same two mags wouldn't push the last two rounds up high enough to be stripped from the magazine. No burrs or rough spots on any of the contact surfaces for the bullet or pistol parts. Problem went away after dealing with the mag springs.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:18 pm

Livewire wrote:I'm just gonna go ahead and disagree.

When the over all length of the spring is longer after being stretched and remains that length for an extended period of time before being put back in the magazine.

Unless the new pistol was shipped with used magazines there's no way they were weak from being used. Same two mags wouldn't push the last two rounds up high enough to be stripped from the magazine. No burrs or rough spots on any of the contact surfaces for the bullet or pistol parts. Problem went away after dealing with the mag springs.
You can disagree all you want but when spring is compressed it will go to the set length no matter how long it is stretched.
Unless it is stretched beyond it's elastic limit.
Which reduces the spring cycle rate
Last edited by guncrank1 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:23 pm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_(device" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

I learnt some of this in toolmaker school. :llama:
Last edited by guncrank1 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Livewire » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Ok

You are right

You are also the supreme overlord of everything you look at

The reason metal can be formed or destroyed is because the guncrank put his shoes on

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:34 pm

Livewire wrote:Ok

You are right

You are also the supreme overlord of everything you look at

The reason metal can be formed or destroyed is because the guncrank put his shoes on
I know asshole Cranky
Don't worry LiveWire you still know more about high voltage electrical work.

Ok ,buddy :mrgreen:

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Livewire » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:45 pm

I know when working with high voltage it's not good to be a conductor

GeminiXD9
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by GeminiXD9 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:53 pm

Awesome pick up wyld
"That's how we do. We keep it light til it's time to get dark. Then we get pitch black."

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:23 am

Livewire wrote:over all length of the spring is longer after being stretched and remains that length
guncrank1 wrote:stretched beyond it's elastic limit.
you jackholes are saying the same thing

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Livewire » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:02 am

You're out of your element Donnie (SNL).

Jack hole

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:22 am

hooooooooole

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:46 am

guncrank1 wrote: Springs are ok loaded for long periods (Several test have proven this)
The time spring get weak is in use (Loading, and Unloading)
Over time and many cycles of compression and decompression, the spring will collapse beyond the set.(Less tension when compressed results in reduced reliability of feeding correctly)
This

Return to “Semi-auto Handguns”