AR-15 build questions (in regards to the law)

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

AR-15 build questions (in regards to the law)

Post by ProCroation » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:53 pm

If I purchased a multi-caliber lower, will the serial number on it designate that it has to be built as a pistol or a rifle?

I'm asking because I want to be clear about what's legal and what's not. So can you build either/or (rifle or pistol) with a multi caliber lower or can someone break it down to me, any important things to note when doing so?
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: AR-15 build questions (in regards to the law)

Post by Dustin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:23 am

No you can build a 223 marked lower into 300 or 6.8 or what ever you want. If your an ffl or it’s an nfa item that’s different. But can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

iron369
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by iron369 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:34 am

ProCroation wrote:If I purchased a multi-caliber lower, will the serial number on it designate that it has to be built as a pistol or a rifle?

I'm asking because I want to be clear about what's legal and what's not. So can you build either/or (rifle or pistol) with a multi caliber lower or can someone break it down to me, any important things to note when doing so?
[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201804 ... 1c41b8.jpg[/img]
Using Tapatalk

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 3 times

Post by ProCroation » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:59 am

Dustin wrote:No you can build a 223 marked lower into 300 or 6.8 or what ever you want. If your an ffl or it’s an nfa item that’s different. But can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So any length upper in any caliber is legal? I just don't want to accidentally cross the line of definitions between pistol and rifle and cause trouble
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

Post by ssracer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:28 am

iron369 wrote:
ProCroation wrote:If I purchased a multi-caliber lower, will the serial number on it designate that it has to be built as a pistol or a rifle?

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201804 ... 1c41b8.jpg[/img]
Not to hijack the thread, but I always wondered...

Since we don’t have to register anything here in KY (other than NFA) if you bought a stripped virgin lower and built it into a rifle, then a year later changed it to a pistol....technically you would have just broken the law but how the hell would anyone other than you know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

samb.
Been liked: 0

Post by samb. » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:50 am

A stripped lower can be built into any legal configuration you wish. Pistol, rifle, weapon. If your 4473 you submitted says rifle or pistol or a caliber your FFL screwed up. If you go rifle first legally you can not later change it to a pistol. But as ssracer said who would know unless you had some sort of proof out there on the internet. If it were me I would build it whatever "pistol" caliber I had IE a 5.56 10" gun with no buttstock (carbine buffers without a stock are a grey area, I'd go pistol tube to be safe) and get a sweet picture to show it off.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:33 am

No buttstock -no rifle
All else considered ATF guidelines.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:36 am

I have specifically designated Pistol on some 4473 for lowers I purchased. The lower will always be a pistol. Otherwise the form usually says other and not rifle or pistol. That is one thing to know before you build I would say. I did it on purpose, it was not a screw up per what SAMB says.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:37 am

samb. wrote:A stripped lower can be built into any legal configuration you wish. Pistol, rifle, weapon. If your 4473 you submitted says rifle or pistol or a caliber your FFL screwed up. If you go rifle first legally you can not later change it to a pistol. But as ssracer said who would know unless you had some sort of proof out there on the internet. If it were me I would build it whatever "pistol" caliber I had IE a 5.56 10" gun with no buttstock (carbine buffers without a stock are a grey area, I'd go pistol tube to be safe) and get a sweet picture to show it off.
Does not matter what is put on 4473 , that does not change the lower intoanythingexcept what it is.

The matters is what it is build into the first time as a firearm.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:46 am

SSracer to answer your question
A firearms trace from the recovered firearm

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:47 am

If you not sure what you want with the lower
Assemble a handgun first , then you can flip flop with it.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:14 am

I built a transgender lower.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:16 am

Why don't you ask the lower what it identifies as?

Funny how a chunk of aluminum causes so much confusion
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:26 am

Or magnesium

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:43 am

Dave1965 wrote:I have specifically designated Pistol on some 4473 for lowers I purchased. The lower will always be a pistol. Otherwise the form usually says other and not rifle or pistol. That is one thing to know before you build I would say. I did it on purpose, it was not a screw up per what SAMB says.
Yep. PSA was selling lowers marked "pistol" a while back. I remember seeing that and thinking how stupid it was of them to do it like that.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:47 am

Niceguy wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:I have specifically designated Pistol on some 4473 for lowers I purchased. The lower will always be a pistol. Otherwise the form usually says other and not rifle or pistol. That is one thing to know before you build I would say. I did it on purpose, it was not a screw up per what SAMB says.
Yep. PSA was selling lowers marked "pistol" a while back. I remember seeing that and thinking how stupid it was of them to do it like that.

That is of some states that require the pistol marking , again really does not make the lower pistol only.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:43 pm

guncrank1 wrote:
Niceguy wrote:

That is of some states that require the pistol marking , again really does not make the lower pistol only.

if it is on the 4473 like that, then yes it is a pistol.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:54 pm

Dave1965 wrote:
guncrank1 wrote:
Niceguy wrote:

Nope , still a other , and a receiver for KY , only a pistol in those state that requires it to be marked.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:42 pm

guncrank1 wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:
guncrank1 wrote:
Niceguy wrote:

Nope , still a other , and a receiver for KY , only a pistol in those state that requires it to be marked.

nope because the form /atf won't know it was a pistol when it was transferred. AKA someone built into pistol and then sold to me.

Return to “AR-15”