Teach me!

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
icehouse1
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Teach me!

Post by icehouse1 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:08 am

Would any of you fine AR builders, close to me, be willing to teach me on my first AR build?
BTW, I live in Georgetown KY..

GeminiXD9
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Teach me!

Post by GeminiXD9 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:26 am

Not real close to u but there are tons of videos on YouTube showing how to put a lower together. Some better than others. Watch a few different ones til u find one that u are comfortable with and get to it! Now if u want actual in person hands on assistance, maybe somebody around your way could meet up with u. Honestly once u get it together u will be surprised how simple it really is. I can put one together with minimum tools in 15-20 minutes. If that. Just take your time with the pivot pin detent and spring. Many people have shot theirs across the room. There's a few tips in the lpk thread that work good. A big pointer is to use masking tape or electrical tape or something on the receiver while u punch in the bolt catch pin.
"That's how we do. We keep it light til it's time to get dark. Then we get pitch black."

icehouse1

Post by icehouse1 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:29 am

I would gladly drive up to an hour for on hands training.. I don't want to muck it up! LOL!! I would even bring the beer!

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:33 am

I just pulled up a pic of what all the parts were called and a step by step guide and it was not difficult.

Just go for it....youll be proud of yourself when your done.

irishrob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by irishrob » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:52 am

http://www.itstactical.com have some good videos that are broke down into segments that go thru a complete build from tools, parts, prep & tips. Show both upper & lower builds & tear down & cleaning

Ar15 build starts here. http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firea ... -required/

They are all under the war.com section on the website

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:47 am

If you can get to Louisville I can show you really quickly. I have the right tools and punches and am pretty familiar with putting them together.
:llama:

BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by BK Meyers » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:16 am

Mike wrote:If you can get to Louisville I can show you really quickly. I have the right tools and punches and am pretty familiar with putting them together.
If you can then you should take Mike up on this offer of help. It's not hard to assemble a lower but you do have different sized springs and detents that need to go in the right places. Also if you are like me the smaller detents can be hard to get a good hold on when trying to install.

Since the Honey Badger lower is a limited-run item and your first lower build then definitely get some assistance to ensure a clean, scratch-free assembly.

I've tried to find some links to photos that I still use when building a lower but not having any luck.

BK
God made man.
Samuel Colt made all men equal.
John M. Browning and the 1911 made some men more equal than others.

BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by BK Meyers » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:24 am

God made man.
Samuel Colt made all men equal.
John M. Browning and the 1911 made some men more equal than others.

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Dustin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:26 am

"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

icehouse1

Post by icehouse1 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:00 am

I have been watching videos all morning. I still may take Mike up on the offer tho, just for the fact that it is a limited run lower. I don't want to mess up anything.

Did you all notice, he didn't say anything about the "beer" offer? LOL!

Ninja

Post by Ninja » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:28 am

I'm in Paris never put lower together but have been watching alot of videos on it myself. I can always watch lol
Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.
Malcolm X

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:59 am

I enjoy building them and am getting better and better with every one. I don't need no stinking beer to help a member out!

Seriously though, having the right punches makes a world of difference. There are only two parts that require skill to put together, the bolt catch roll pin and the trigger guard. You can bypass the trigger guard by buying a MOE trigger($10) and some trigger install screws($4) and there is absolutely NO worries about breaking off the trigger tabs. If it's going to be something like the honey badger lower I would definitely consider this route. Very cheap "insurance" for the lower.

Here's an ebay link of what I am talking about. I bought several sets of these because they are so darn simple and worry free.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AR-Trigger-Guar ... 3cdb2f13db

The bolt catch is pretty straight forward but with two people it is really simple as well. I tape the receiver up with cuct tape several layers and use an extra set of hands and a good roll pin punch. Couple good solid hits with a hammer and it's in there. I also put a broken toothpick in the other side as a slave pin to hold the bolt catch in place as I tap the roll pin in. It works great at holding everything in place and comes out as the roll pin goes in.

I've put together a bunch of lowers. Probably at least 15 so I have learned a lot over time with them. My advice is to invest in the screws I linked and a MOE trigger and not have to worry about it at all..
:llama:

bigelowe
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bigelowe » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:13 pm

my 15yo son( at the time)learned how to put one together by watching a couple youtube videos. all i did was supervise. he was spot on. i did have the few correct tools needed to put one togetrher, as i had already assembled a couple myself.
Not everyone can be a winner or get a trophy, we are raising a society full of pu**ies

2nd place is the 1st place loser.

Currently looking for that unicorn.

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Plus the magpul trigger guard is 50x nicer than the orig parts kit one.

Also like the bcm charging handles...i put one of those in the last ar i picked up before i left the parking lot..shit it dosnt even have a rear sight yet...

adayton

Post by adayton » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:38 pm

icehouse1 wrote:Would any of you fine AR builders, close to me, be willing to teach me on my first AR build?
BTW, I live in Georgetown KY..
I have a couple I need to build and will be doing so this week some time...
I would be glad to have you come by and you can watch me build one ... and then you can do the other one while I observe...
I live on the East side of Louisville between Cabela's and Crestwood....
PM me if you are interested in doing that...
Thanx,
Allan

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:05 pm

PM sent.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."