M16 magpul build

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
Ninja
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

M16 magpul build

Post by Ninja » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:32 pm

GP-WOC38_0_mark.jpg
GP-WOC38_0_mark.jpg (75.45 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
Ok was wanting to build my next AR to look something like this. I built one for airsoft and turns heads everywhere i go so was wanting a real one and was looking for suggestions.

Good lower to use pref in FDE?

Good upper wanting to have a 20 in barrel?

Any other parts that will help me get the best accuracy?
Not trying to break the bank also lol just build something that looks nice and i can so some longer range shooting with. Oh and wanting to build in 5.56
Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.
Malcolm X

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: M16 magpul build

Post by son of liberty » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:16 pm

You can spend a bunch of money on all sorts of custom parts, and it will not be money wasted. Though the most surefire way to get great accuracy is to feed it quality ammo. Im not talking some mil spec 55 grain/62 grain troop issued ammo, but quality match grade stuff MK262, Superformance , Gold medal match , and so on. The Ar15 is in its nature very accurate , even factory stock rifles can shoot MOA with the correct ammo, and any rifle can shoot like poop if you feed it poop.

AMMO IS KEY!

beyond that there are aids that one can add such as freefloat handguards , target triggers , and features that make the rifle fit you better. Though not one of these will provided what quality ammo will and none of them will make up for poor ammo. So it comes down to what you like and what you want, the rifle you have pictured is nice and pretty easy to build though expensive , so how much do you want to spend?

Dont forget optics , a huge part of the expense will be optics and you tend to get what you pay for. There are some deals such as the Vortex Vipers, and a few others , but its safe to say that a 1000 dollar rifle deserves a 1000 dollar scope.

Beyond all that is your ability to make it work, most often the shooter is the weak link and building the shooter will yield far better results then building the rifle.
Last edited by son of liberty on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:20 pm

You will not be able to build a real M-16 as is not legal to do so for non FFLs since 1986.
Get your 07/SOT and build as many as you please.
Last edited by guncrank1 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:22 pm

son of liberty wrote:You can spend a bunch of money on all sorts of custom parts, and it will not be money wasted. Though the most surefire way to get great accuracy is to feed it quality ammo. Im not talking some mil spec 55 grain/62 grain troop issued ammo, but quality match grade stuff MK262, Superformance , Gold medal match , and so on. The Ar15 is in its nature very accurate , even factory stock rifles can shoot MOA with the correct ammo, and any rifle can shoot like poop if you feed it poop.

AMMO IS KEY!

beyond that there are aids that one can add such as freefloat handguards , target triggers , and features that make the rifle fit you better. Though not one of these will provided what quality ammo will and none of them will make up for poor ammo. So it comes down to what you like and what you want, the rifle you have pictured is nice and pretty easy to build though expensive , so how much do you want to spend?

Dont forget optics , a huge part of the expense will be optics and you tend to get what you pay for. There are some deals such as the Vortex Vipers, and a few others , but its safe to say that a 1000 dollar rifle deserves a 100 dollar scope.

Beyond all that is your ability to make it work, most often the shooter is the weak link and building the shooter will yield far better results then building the rifle.
And what he said ^^^^^^^^

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 58 times

Post by ssracer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:26 pm

I mean, you van build that exact rifle if you want to. VLTOR upper and lower, have them ceracoated to the right color. 20" rifle barrel and Magpul furniture, target grip.

Ninja

Post by Ninja » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:47 am

I like the Vltor body but its not necessary I just like the general overall look of the rifle and how much does cerakoting generally cost. I really want quality parts that won't break my bank
Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.
Malcolm X

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:10 am

Breaking the bank depends on the size of your bank.

Saw a video recently that shed some light on barrel length vs accuracy at various ranges. Made me change my mind about an 18" or 20" barrel for a precision shooter.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/1 ... -accuracy/
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Ninja

Post by Ninja » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:24 pm

Malcolm X

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:45 pm

For the price, I would go with BCM out of those. Best quality of the three

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:12 pm

I always thought RRA was top notch myself. But who am I?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:59 pm

Of those three it's BCM > RRA > DelTon

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:09 pm

We have gone a long way from what you wanted to build to posting up a few basic uppers. I think you need to decide just what it is your going to build, and what it is you can afford to build. Decide though if your going to go full bore custom , or throw together a decent rifle before you start buying or you will be replacing parts you just bought.

Ninja

Post by Ninja » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:23 am

I want to start with a decent rifle that i can add too over time.
Malcolm X

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:24 am

Then my suggestion is to build the best basic AR15 type rifle you can, concentrating on your lower, upper, and barrel assemblies and then adding the MagPul goodies along the way afterwards. All the MagPul stuff is basicly just window dressing, the aforementioned pieces being the actual heart of the rifle.

The upper & lower receivers should be pretty simple, as most all mil-spec parts are the same. Just stick with quality made aluminum pieces and fit them with the best hardware you can. The next item would be the barrel, what length, what profile, what material, what twist rate, etc.

The trigger group is one area to give considerable thought to, as you don't want to spend that money more than once. Here, you need to decide if you are looking to build a tough as nails unit using a standard grade, 2 stage trigger setup or something more elaborate using more precise, though usually not quite as durable, single stage parts for a precision long range style weapon. There are myriad styles and types of precision triggers available for these platforms, and you need to educate yourself on them to decide which will best suit your needs & desires.

One thing for certain, you must forgoe any consideration of attempting a true M16 build as this is strictly illegal unless you meet very strict, expensive, and hard to meet criteria to do so legaly. If you are absolutely hell-bent on having an M16, then you'll need to pony up $20-$25,000.00 and go through the form 4 tax submission and currently 9+ month background check to be able to buy one outright. Building one as an individual is simply not an option, according to federal law.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:54 am

Whats your budget?

You look at glass yet? Thatll be half of it, as was mentioned above...if your doin a scope.

And make sure to factor in the ammo you plan to shoot. Match ammo = $$$. Hell mil ammo is 40c a round at the moment...and I consider 5.56 brass case luxury ammo

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:52 am

There are a few AR on sale here that are complete for 650.00

Ninja

Post by Ninja » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:45 am

Wyldman wrote:One thing for certain, you must forgoe any consideration of attempting a true M16 build as this is strictly illegal unless you meet very strict, expensive, and hard to meet criteria to do so legaly. If you are absolutely hell-bent on having an M16, then you'll need to pony up $20-$25,000.00 and go through the form 4 tax submission and currently 9+ month background check to be able to buy one outright. Building one as an individual is simply not an option, according to federal law.
I meant more m16 styled weapon and your standard AR15/M4 style weapon. I have been looking around for optics but thats something I really know nothing bout lol.

Ammo I prob will start reloading i have reload press but also a area I'm going to need advice/help with.
Malcolm X

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:58 pm

If I were you , I would buy a carbine off of one of the guys here, just wait till you see one for sale. You will not see any change in accuracy with a 16 vs a 20 inch barrel. You will see a velocity change in the bullet and the result will be greater drop at extended range, though this is not an issue as you are already dialing for come ups so you will not even notice it in the end. The Maximum effective range of a carbine over a 20 inch rifle is minor at best and with your skill set now it will take you farther then you can shoot and farther then 99% of public or private ranges. At a later date if you get to doing extreme long range and have the place to shoot at that range , you can buy a custom high end barrel that may make the math just a bit easier , but thats a non issue now.

Optics as well are a non issue, The ar15 has great factory sights! Even the flat top ARs can take a detachable carry handle that has full range of adjustment. Learn to shoot these before you go crazy with optics. All the fundamentals still apply and you need a good set of fundamentals to make any system work no matter what optic you run.

Reloading is a great option , very simply put I would look for any match bullet or match quality bullet in the weight range your barrel will handle, this will be dependent on your twist rate. Load to magazine feed length 2.260 or less , and make sure you have consistent powder charge. With bullets in an auto loader or bullets that are not on the lands , a factory crimp is a good idea.

Go to an appleseed shoot, learn the fundamentals , master them, then go and run around with the RWI guys, they will show ya how to apply the fundamentals under stress , in all sorts of messed up positions , while out of breath, and you may find a new group of shooting buddies that can help you and your weapons system grow.

Most folks here are happy to help in any and every way they can, get to know them, meet up with them, shoot with them, learn from them, and teach them. you cant go wrong making nice with the folks here.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:42 pm

son of liberty wrote:If I were you , I would buy a carbine off of one of the guys here, just wait till you see one for sale. You will not see any change in accuracy with a 16 vs a 20 inch barrel. You will see a velocity change in the bullet and the result will be greater drop at extended range, though this is not an issue as you are already dialing for come ups so you will not even notice it in the end. The Maximum effective range of a carbine over a 20 inch rifle is minor at best and with your skill set now it will take you farther then you can shoot and farther then 99% of public or private ranges. At a later date if you get to doing extreme long range and have the place to shoot at that range , you can buy a custom high end barrel that may make the math just a bit easier , but thats a non issue now.

Optics as well are a non issue, The ar15 has great factory sights! Even the flat top ARs can take a detachable carry handle that has full range of adjustment. Learn to shoot these before you go crazy with optics. All the fundamentals still apply and you need a good set of fundamentals to make any system work no matter what optic you run.

Reloading is a great option , very simply put I would look for any match bullet or match quality bullet in the weight range your barrel will handle, this will be dependent on your twist rate. Load to magazine feed length 2.260 or less , and make sure you have consistent powder charge. With bullets in an auto loader or bullets that are not on the lands , a factory crimp is a good idea.

Go to an appleseed shoot, learn the fundamentals , master them, then go and run around with the RWI guys, they will show ya how to apply the fundamentals under stress , in all sorts of messed up positions , while out of breath, and you may find a new group of shooting buddies that can help you and your weapons system grow.

Most folks here are happy to help in any and every way they can, get to know them, meet up with them, shoot with them, learn from them, and teach them. you cant go wrong making nice with the folks here.
Great advice as usual! Answered some of stuff I have wondered about also...

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Tyler » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:05 pm

I would wait for FN to release their 20" AR. Should be soon.
Height Supremacist

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:08 pm

Or buck up the cash and get in line for Daniel Defense's new Mk12 :D

Ninja

Post by Ninja » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:20 pm

ssracer wrote:Or buck up the cash and get in line for Daniel Defense's new Mk12 :D
I'd love to have one of those but I didn't hit powerball recently lol
Malcolm X

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Tyler » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:21 pm

The FN will supposedly have a purchase price under $1,000
Height Supremacist

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Vividia » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:58 pm

Son of Liberty had some great advice, I second it.

ARs are like tinker toy/lays potato chip combos. You will love tinkering with it and it's hard to keep to just one.

Start fairly basic until you are completely familiar with the platform. You will learn as you go, and as you learn you will begin that mental list of what you want on your NEXT build/acquisition.

I have the obligatory carbine which is what I shoot most. I have added an eotech xps3 sight and g33 magnifier, and can slap the flashlight on it real quick if needed.

An old skool build just because I like the history/correctness of it.

The newest is more of a precision build, with some decent glass on it. Very enjoyable.

AND of course I have started the parts of another build....

This is one area where it is really good to start modestly and spend as you understand more about the platform and all the options out there. You can drop a bundle on these things if you don't get what you REALLY want the first time, and there will always be another toy you want to play with.

But I digress - what SoL said LOL
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:36 pm

Return to “AR-15”