Questions about AR pistols?

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
Geno
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Geno » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:58 pm

How is their "shootability" ?

I would guess that they are very loud with the shorter barrel.

I have a Noveske Pig muzzle device. I'm thinking it may be of use on a pistol.

What length is the consensus for the 5.56 / .223?

Are the "braces" for the forearm a viable option?

Other ideas I may not have thought through?
I know not what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Neither Welfare nor political office were intended to be a career path!

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 334 times
Been liked: 92 times

Re: Questions about AR pistols?

Post by Niceguy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:02 pm

10.5 PSA premium upper was pretty accurate. I used a Sig brace on both of mine. They are STUPIDLY loud! I usually wore plugs and muffs to keep my hearing safe. They're fun.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Toddstang » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:05 pm

IMHO they are fun guns. Going to a 7.5" barrel your not going for long range accuracy but plinking cans. Barrels that are longer (to me anyways) seem to be more troublesome, with a pistol tube (haven't tried a Sig Brace) to move around and shoot with. Of course the longer the barrel for the 5.56/223 the better for velocity.
http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html

Oh and they are loud. :!: :o

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:11 pm

Loud, typically finicky, and the brace is questionable legally depending where you shoot and who wants to make a big deal about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Tyler » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:16 pm

Staying above 10" will prevent issues. A well built upper with an appropriate gas port, spring and buffer will have no problem down to 7".

The Shockwave blade seems to be the best option for skirting the NFA. Brace is ok, but has been surpassed by the blade and the new version of the brace.

SBRing a lower is worth the time, effort and money over shooting an AR pistol. Get a suppressor while you're at it for a much more enjoyable time shooting.
Height Supremacist

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:18 pm

Tyler wrote:Staying above 10" will prevent issues. A well built upper with an appropriate gas port, spring and buffer will have no problem down to 7".

The Shockwave blade seems to be the best option for skirting the NFA. Brace is ok, but has been surpassed by the blade and the new version of the brace.

SBRing a lower is worth the time, effort and money over shooting an AR pistol. Get a suppressor while you're at it for a much more enjoyable time shooting.
X100!

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Dustin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:20 pm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Tapatalk
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Dustin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:20 pm

Totally worth going the sbr route.

"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:22 pm

Yep

jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:36 pm

Dustin wrote:Totally worth going the sbr route.

Paying $200 for permission to exercise a right isn't worth it to me but to each their own.

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Tyler » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:29 pm

jackalo626 wrote:

Paying $200 for permission to exercise a right isn't worth it to me but to each their own.

That's one way to look at it. You can just shoot standard guns or you could ignore the law and make NFA items without permission if it's worth the risk to you.

I see the $200 as an intentional deterrent by controlling statists to infringe our rights, which was the original intent in 1934 and again in 1986. They can shove their deterrents up their fascist asses and I'll pay them to do so.
Height Supremacist

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:07 am

I can take my AR9 pistol to Indiana to shoot it if I want. If I pay Uncle Sam $200 so I can put a stock on it I then have to submit paperwork to tell them I plan on taking it to Indiana to shoot it. Fuck that. I've already got one SBR that I can't leave the state with without permission.

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Tyler » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:25 am

ssracer wrote:I can take my AR9 pistol to Indiana to shoot it if I want. If I pay Uncle Sam $200 so I can put a stock on it I then have to submit paperwork to tell them I plan on taking it to Indiana to shoot it. Fuck that. I've already got one SBR that I can't leave the state with without permission.
I keep an extra pistol lower for interstate travel, but I wouldn't want to do that for a 9mm magwell AR. At least a standard pistol lower can accommodate multiple calibers.
Height Supremacist

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:06 am

Tyler wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:

That's one way to look at it. You can just shoot standard guns or you could ignore the law and make NFA items without permission if it's worth the risk to you.

I see the $200 as an intentional deterrent by controlling statists to infringe our rights, which was the original intent in 1934 and again in 1986. They can shove their deterrents up their fascist asses and I'll pay them to do so.
Standard guns are fine for me. The $200 goes to the people who want to take your rights, not protect them. To each their own though, it seems you could do worse with $200.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:02 pm

ssracer wrote:I can take my AR9 pistol to Indiana to shoot it if I want. If I pay Uncle Sam $200 so I can put a stock on it I then have to submit paperwork to tell them I plan on taking it to Indiana to shoot it. Fuck that. I've already got one SBR that I can't leave the state with without permission.
100% my thoughts exactly...

I never had a single hiccup out of either of my 10.5" pistols with any ammo.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:02 pm

only reason I have one is in case SHTF , you can figure out the rest perhaps

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:11 pm

Dave1965 wrote:only reason I have one is in case SHTF , you can figure out the rest perhaps
if SHTF then there ain't gonna be nobody trying to send you to jail if you shoulder a pistol...just sayin...lol

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:02 pm

I haven't personally submitted any paperwork yet for interstate travel, but if I was a member of a range in Indiana, I don't really see the huge deal with following the procedure to make transporting whichever NFA item you so choose to that state in a legal manner. You can get a blanket or open ended letter if you belong to a place you go to frequently. At least that's my limited understanding of the issue.

The law is what the law is. If you think an alphabet agency is out to take your rights away, but then avoid the items under that agency's purview, haven't you essentially given up a portion of your rights. I am new to the NFA world. I don't particularly care for the restrictions and all the hoop jumping either. But, not exercising your right because it's a hassle is the same as not having that right, imho. Just my .02.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:16 pm

I don't agree... Throw the blade or whatever on there and do as you wish is just SOOOOOOOOOOOO much less hassle. The SBR deal isn't a problem if you go to the same place, but if someone were to say to me "hey, you want to run over to my buddy's farm in Madison and shoot?" (I'm not far from there). It can't happen legally with the SBR, but you can basically do as you like with the brace. Definitely not saying I won't have any SBR's, because I'm sure I will at some point. But I'll definitely keep the "pistols" just to make my life less hassle.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:50 pm

Wasn't Rand Paul trying to get a bill passed that made it legal to construct your own SBR a few years ago?

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Tyler » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:44 pm

Toddstang wrote:Wasn't Rand Paul trying to get a bill passed that made it legal to construct your own SBR a few years ago?
I think it was along the lines of what Montana did or attempted to do. An item that was built in the state and never left the state would not be subject to federal regulations.
Height Supremacist

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:05 am

ssracer wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:only reason I have one is in case SHTF , you can figure out the rest perhaps
if SHTF then there ain't gonna be nobody trying to send you to jail if you shoulder a pistol...just sayin...lol
Perhaps I should just spell it it out then, that owning a AR pistol has a legal reason to own a shorty upper/uppers right now as well as having the long versions. :roll:

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:49 am

Gunsmokin wrote:
I haven't personally submitted any paperwork yet for interstate travel, but if I was a member of a range in Indiana, I don't really see the huge deal with following the procedure to make transporting whichever NFA item you so choose to that state in a legal manner. You can get a blanket or open ended letter if you belong to a place you go to frequently. At least that's my limited understanding of the issue.

The law is what the law is. If you think an alphabet agency is out to take your rights away, but then avoid the items under that agency's purview, haven't you essentially given up a portion of your rights. I am new to the NFA world. I don't particularly care for the restrictions and all the hoop jumping either. But, not exercising your right because it's a hassle is the same as not having that right, imho. Just my .02.
It's not a right if you have to pay a fee.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:19 pm

jackalo626 wrote:
Gunsmokin wrote:

So, because there is a fee, you choose to not have an NFA item?

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:20 pm

Gunsmokin wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
Gunsmokin wrote:

So, because there is a fee, you choose to not have an NFA item?
Correct and I repeat, it is not a right if there is a fee.

Return to “AR-15”