WHAT makes a 'bad AR'?

The black rifle we all love. All variants welcome. 223/556 300 BLK, 762, 50, AR pistols.... Bring it.
ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

WHAT makes a 'bad AR'?

Post by ChopperDoc » Wed May 08, 2013 10:18 am

Andrew, from the Vurrwapen Blog writes a review (two actually) for the Firearms Blog about ARs from one of the new gun 'manufacturers' that had a booth at the recent NRA convention.

Original one on his BLOG:

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2013/05/04/pre ... ever-seen/

An excerpt. read the entire review at the link.
:
Today I was wandering around the NRA show and saw a few AR manufacturers I wasn't terribly familiar with, so I decided to check out their wares.

At "Battle Rifle Company," I was invited to dry fire their triggers.

So I did.

After four distinct and palpable points of creep, the trigger broke at a weight of somewhere upwards of six to seven pounds (by my estimate). I tried another rifle, and it did the exact same thing. Hey, at least they're consistent, right? I told the BRC employee who was showing me the rifle that I didn't think it was very good, and he responded that I was the first person to say so.

Looking at another rifle, I saw that the railed handguard - to which the front sight was attached - was noticeably crooked. I pointed this out, and the rep said "Well, it might have gotten dropped."
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013 ... qus_thread

An excerpt, read the entire review at the link.
The high demand for AR-15 and similar rifles has led to many new manufacturers of said rifles. Enter “Battle Rifle Company” of Texas. I made some initial observations upon viewing their products while at the NRA show on Saturday, but I also visited their booth on Sunday. What follows are some of my observations after looking at their rifles the second time, and having a few more days to think about what I saw.

As you’ll note in the article above, I described their products as “pretty much the worst AR-15s I’ve ever seen.” While that’s a harsh statement, it’s also an honest one. I was angry after I walked away from their booth. Angry because they were trying to peddle substandard products as the greatest thing ever, angry because their salespeople were either ignorant or lying, angry because somewhere out there was someone who might someday have to depend on a rifle that would most likely let them down. I took the time to calm down before writing that article, otherwise it would have been more profanity-laced than anything, ever.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 76 times

Re: WHAT makes a 'bad AR'?

Post by KYgundude » Wed May 08, 2013 10:29 am

I stopped reading v blog because I thought he wasn't going to post gun stuff after being hired to write for lucky gunner. Guess I need to start checking his site again

<Insert witty Tapatalk signature here>

Jonwoos
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Jonwoos » Wed May 08, 2013 12:18 pm

Interesting

Next
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Next » Wed May 08, 2013 2:03 pm

NRA show in Ky I saw the Charles Daly rifles and was not impressed. Heard they were made by Double Star. Looked plain Jane to me, but they were suppose to be the next best thing. You don't see CD rifles now

Buccman37
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Buccman37 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:47 pm

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

listen to this ass clown talk

GunningBadger
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by GunningBadger » Wed May 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Buccman37 wrote:

That was painful to watch.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Wed May 08, 2013 4:35 pm

I just read that article a bit ago...most of the people on this board could build a better rifle for half the money.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:47 pm

Buccman37 wrote:

Removed by user
What was it about?
?

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Wed May 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Next wrote:NRA show in Ky I saw the Charles Daly rifles and was not impressed. Heard they were made by Double Star. Looked plain Jane to me, but they were suppose to be the next best thing. You don't see CD rifles now
They went belly up.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed May 08, 2013 8:47 pm

Read this on The Firearm blog a couple of day ago and what's really bad is you would think that at least their example rifles at a show would be built right but nope. :roll: Scarey to think what their production ones looks like. :shock:
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Buccman37
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Buccman37 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:55 pm

guncrank1 wrote:
Buccman37 wrote:

Removed by user
What was it about?
?
It was a interview with the owner of the company talking out of his ass about his rifles. Thats funny it was removed....let me see if I can find it.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Ah yes
I am working on a "Orange Monkey Arms "/Red Jacket AK now

Bostonblue

Post by Bostonblue » Sun May 26, 2013 2:51 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he is saying don't buy a Battle Rifle Company AR. Am I reading that right? ;)
Last edited by Bostonblue on Sun May 26, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:50 pm

Bostonblue wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he is saying don't buy a Battle Rifle Company AR. Am I reading that right?
Yeah it is crap

Sent Cranky Style from IPhone via Tapatalk
A gun smith
502-231-1118

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by etownguy » Sun May 26, 2013 8:31 pm

I recently got a chance to shoot a Daniel defense ddm4v4 with a trijicon 4x on top beautiful rifle but the trigger was the worse trigger I have ever pulled on any weapon. I was disappointed to say the least.

Bostonblue

Post by Bostonblue » Mon May 27, 2013 1:07 pm

I just watched a video on YouTube about Battle Rifle Compamy. The owner and some guy from Top Shot were acting like its the best AR around. Said the trigger was as smooth as silk. Total opposite then what that guy Andrew was saying.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Mon May 27, 2013 1:13 pm

And it was driven only on Sundays by a little old lady.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon May 27, 2013 3:45 pm

etownguy wrote:I recently got a chance to shoot a Daniel defense ddm4v4 with a trijicon 4x on top beautiful rifle but the trigger was the worse trigger I have ever pulled on any weapon. I was disappointed to say the least.

Worst on any AR...or any weapon?

MILSPEC triggers are not smooth.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by etownguy » Mon May 27, 2013 5:05 pm

Any my BB gun is better the mosin before work was better. Very heavy pull and gritty.

I have shot my fair share of ARs and none were as bad

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon May 27, 2013 7:30 pm

etownguy wrote:Any my BB gun is better the mosin before work was better. Very heavy pull and gritty.

I have shot my fair share of ARs and none were as bad

Did it have a DD lower or something else?

Reason i am asking: (And I have no idea about your AR experience, might be more than mine) Like I said AR's with MILSPEC triggers are not going to compare to anything else really. I have shot weapons with much worse triggers than a MILSPEC AR, but most are much better. Different rifles different roles. I have a DDM4 and don't really notice that the trigger is any worse than any AR, and with use it gets better.

Actually have shot several DDM4's that were factory complete guns and did not have an issue. All pretty much MILSPEC and performed as expected.

The great thing about the AR is that are so many options and so easy to change on your own depending on what you want it to do. If there is really a problem with a DD weapons trigger I feel pretty confident that DD would fix it.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:25 am

Bostonblue wrote:I just watched a video on YouTube about Battle Rifle Compamy. The owner and some guy from Top Shot were acting like its the best AR around. Said the trigger was as smooth as silk. Total opposite then what that guy Andrew was saying.
Well I don't think he would talk shit about his own product
:llama:

A gun smith
502-231-1118

Bostonblue

Post by Bostonblue » Tue May 28, 2013 7:33 am

Well I don't think he would talk shit about his own product

I don't think he would either. I was surprised that he guy from Top Shot to put his name on it. I guess people will do anything for money.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:13 am

Hand worked trigger??

No wonder the web reviews say these are crap triggers.

You " hand work" a mil spec trigger and you just "hand work"ed the case hardening right down to the soft steel.

I guess the new Manufactor does not understand what "Mil Spec" standard is on the surface thickness.

A gun smith
502-231-1118

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:15 am

And locktite on gas blocks is not "mil spec"
Not even good mechanic work