PTR-91 GI model

If you have a straight up REVIEW or a firearm, post it up here.
jdf747emt
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

PTR-91 GI model

Post by jdf747emt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:10 pm

having been a fan of HK products for years, just not able to afford them, The PTR family of rifles has been a great relief to many with the same taste. The GI model was a answer to offer a rifle that would would consume surplus and steel ammo with no complaints. Some PTRs with match barrels made by Thompson Contender I believe, would not sometimes feed,eject,extract surplus ammo, PTR responded that their owners manual stated only 308 commercial ammo. This left a bad taste in alot of shooters mouths and bank accounts. My gun dealer, Mr. Joe Ehert who runs his business out of his home, is not a high volume dealer, and does not keep a great inventory, but will find the best deal he can, if you have a ideal of what you want. I gave him the task of the PTR-91, he was able to find one, and I recieved it, most of my guns get gun safe aged due to two Para-medic jobs and UPS. I finally got a chance to go to Knob Creek last week with my wife, I grabbed two PTR-91s, and my wifes ruger 10/45 pistol. I was able to try out the both rifles, having never shot the GI. I was using surplus dag german ammo, in the green battle packs. I tried using the v for the 100 meter position on the rear sight wheel, and found out going to the 200 meter gave me a much better sight picture, using open sights and shooting at 25 yards, it left just a ragged hole, no fliers!. I fired approx 40 rds with the same results, having a brain fart and without my muti tool i couldn't adjust he elevation. I had only one failure, a round failured to go to full battery, it extracted and ejected, looking at the round the case showed it had a semi circle where it tried to chamber, with maybe had a little ridge of brass I could catch my finger nail on, no failures after that at all, with great performance, I plan on putting a scope on this and using it in East Ky for my deer rifle. I have now down loaded the HK manual and will sight in as they describe and also shoot steel ammo. This rifle shows great promise and for the price, I believe this is the best deal for a MBR (main battle rifle) in the country today, HK mags, just a few years ago were up too 40 dollars, I have gotten them lately as little a 99 cents,spare parts are in good supply, the roller lock system is a proven design, if you want a MBR with out costing your marriage, that performs as good or better than rifles two or three times more, is simple to shoot and maintain, this is the rifle! Get one as soon as you can, the GI model was a limited production run, but I have heard that it proved so popular they are trying to produce more. With political winds blowing in unknown directions, don't get swamped by a rouge wave, get one as soon as you can. the price was under 1000.00 with tax and shipping, one 20 rd mag, and a decent rifle case.
Attachments
hk91 new.jpg
Creed of Platoon 1007, B Compnay, 1st Bat. Parris Island 1978 April 24. When your hot your hot, if not your dead.

jdf747emt
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: PTR-91 GI model

Post by jdf747emt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:32 pm

the trigger was better than most, much better than my tricked out ptr, costing 400.00 more dollars.
Creed of Platoon 1007, B Compnay, 1st Bat. Parris Island 1978 April 24. When your hot your hot, if not your dead.

Return to “Range Reports”