Springfield XDs .45

If you have a straight up REVIEW or a firearm, post it up here.
Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 23 times

Springfield XDs .45

Post by Dave1965 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:22 pm

I went to the range today intending to make up some lost time from my birthday when the wife went to the hospital and I cancelled my trip. I loaded up mostly rifles to take with me and I wanted to also try out the new XDs I had gotten. When I got to the range, a crew was working in the vicinity of the rifle range and they told me it was closed but I could use the pistol range.

It was occupied and I shared one of the lanes with another guy who was using some fancy chest rig and some nice looking 1911's. He had a bunch of IPSC targets out. I put out my lone Birchwood SHoot N C target. I like these for my old eyes because I can instantly see and adjust. I set my targets out equal with his at around 15 yards as I paced it out.

I was using some old Sellier and Beloit (sp?) ammunition that I keep in the ammo can in my car. (I generally carry a box or more of the most commonly used ammo in case I need it or if I go to the range and forget to take some). Also good for BOB situation as I tend to have different weapons in the car at any one time.

I had trouble getting the first round to feed into the pistol. I don't know if it was the specific round or just because the gun was new or what. I did not put any lube on the pistol before shooting. It was just how it came from the factory. I fed the round in later so I think it was probably due to the tightness of the weapon.

I fired four rounds at first, two of them were the uppermost in the target below and one was to the lower left and another right below the orange center. Those were based on the reaction to the trigger and to when it would break and how hard the recoil would be. I am not the greatest shooter in terms of remembering the basics at first. The last three rounds in the magazine (I was using the extended 7 shot magazine first as that is how I like the feel of the gun the best) were around the center of the orange. I loaded the next regular type magazine of 5 rounds and it was shot generally into the orange center and one below. More of the shots to the lower left were because I then adjusted the next magazine to shooting in that general area so that I could see the bullet impacts easier. Once the orange got crowded I use some of the rest of the target instead of putting up another of the targets. This was an extremely good shooting session for me. I like the fiber optic red front sight. Comes with white outline rear I believe it is. A good contrast in the daylight.

While the recoil was not entirely uncomfortable, it was noticeable. The more you shoot it of course, the more you feel it. I was extremely happy with the way it shot. I have small hands and it feels comfortable. Most of the shots from a magazine were not rapid fire but not slow either. During my shooting, my lane partner packed up an left. After I was done I went to look at his targets. His grouping (at the same distance) was not as tight and he was shooting on about the same pace as me or slower. All of his shots were also at the 9 oclock position from the bullseye. I wondered after the first magazine or so he was not happy with the grouping of mine and decided to leave. Ah, its a good story at least. At least he didn't bother to pick up his .45 brass so I did it for him and kept it.
Attachments
Target.jpg

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Springfield XDs .45

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:28 pm

I never get range time, glad you did and like your gun. I never take a gun out of box and shoot it though, I always field strip to learn the function and then clean and lube.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:39 pm

I have had about 6 xd's and 4 xdms before so I am familiar with their function. I like the XDM's and this XDs is made in Croatia like the XDM.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:45 pm

Good report. I plan on picking up an XDS in the near future and use it for my carry piece.

Return to “Range Reports”