Got out to TG&G for some range time today!

If you have a straight up REVIEW or a firearm, post it up here.
Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:32 pm

Been a while since I have had time to get to a range to practice with a handgun. First time at TG&G since the change in ownership. First off, I was pleasantly surprised with all the changes from the old store/classroom area. Looks like the plan to carry a good bit of gear.

From the few minutes I spent signing in, it seemed like the guys and young lady behind the counter were helpful and appeared glad to be there. The range was busier than I expected, which was good for them.

Overall, I was there less than an hour. Have to get some Christmas shopping done today, too! I went today to try ouy a couple new pistols I recently aquired, an XDS and a Glock 30sf. I also had my edc PM40, onto which I recently installed a CT laser.

The XDS was up first with the Glock on-deck and the PM40 up last. Put about 25 rounds through both .45's without a single issue. Both were as accurate as should be expected. The XDS has a good bit of recoil, but follow-up shots seemed easy enough. I was able to keep all but a few rounds inside the white, in the head area on a FBI-q targe,t at 7 yards with slightly less than a second or so between shots.

The Glock 30, as I expected, had more managable recoil and I could make quicker, more accurate follow-up shots. This is the first time ever shooting a Glock for me. I enjoyed shooting the Glock quite a bit. I wish I would have had more time today to put more rounds downrange with it.

Last up was my edc pistol(for now), the PM40. The Crimson Trace is a trigger guard mounted laser for this pistol. I didn't need to make a single adjustment to it. I placed the dot on the "Q" and, but for some shaky hands, put the first 2 magazines within a couple inch grouping. I sent the final magazine full down in rapid succession with those being a bit low and right.

Now for the not-so-great part of my outing. As I swept up the brass around my lane into a pile, I was about 3 feet behind the lane and bent down picking up my brass. Right then, one of the other shooters on a different lane to my right decided to switch to his buddy's lane and swept the muzzle of his 1911 right across me. Worse yet, he was slapping a magazine into the pistol as he swept me. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. The guy is an accident waiting to happen. I let one of the guys behind the counter know what had just happened and he went in to the range to talk to the guy and his friends. Thanks to TG&G for handling that very swiftly.

I guess any day you don't get shot is a good day....
Attachments
2012-12-12_16-08-25_393.jpg
photo.JPG
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times

Re: Got out to TG&G for some range time today!

Post by Livewire » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:51 pm

Good write up.

It kind of looks like the shots at the top of your target were keyholing. What gun were you shooting that made those holes?

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:01 pm

Doubt it's keyholing. My .45 does the same thing to those paper targets

.45s in the head

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:33 pm

Livewire wrote:Good write up.

It kind of looks like the shots at the top of your target were keyholing. What gun were you shooting that made those holes?
Actually, both 45's, XDS and G30, were on the top. The ammo was American Eagle 230 grain fmj round nose. The middle part of the target was Blazer brass 40 s&w fmj, but it has a flat nose rather than a completely round one. It tends to tear out less than the 45 I was shooting.

It is hard for me to imagine a round keyholing at 7 yards.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Thinking more about the time at the range, I was shooting the G30 more accurately. The lower shots in the head area are most likely from the XDS. Shorter barrel, 230 grain round, maybe it's an issue if that is really keyholing and not just tearing paper out. Seems like if it was keyholing, the tearing would be more more random. The paper is almost all torn out between the 6 &7 o'clock position. I think I will try some lighter rounds to see if I get a similar result.

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Livewire » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:50 pm

Yeah that's a short distance for keyholing. I was looking at the bottom of the hole where you said the target was tearing.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by justang1997 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:50 pm

I'd use 185gr in them short barrel .45's

BTW nice write up!!!

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:29 pm

Like I said, my 5" 1911 does the same thing to their paper targets

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:01 pm

justang1997 wrote:I'd use 185gr in them short barrel .45's

BTW nice write up!!!
Yeah, I didn't think to pick up any 185 gr ammo prior to heading to the range.

Thanks!

Return to “Range Reports”