Any nasty surprises taking yer ccdw?

Forum for concealed carry questions, classes, tips, and tricks.
Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Kadnine » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:28 pm

My class is on Saturday, I've read the KY statute, the instructor's gear list, and paid my monies. I've called ahead to make sure my gun and ammo meets specs, and I've read through the ccw forum here (will bring energy drinks for video time!)

Did anything surprise anyone beyond these preparations? My brother said he wasn't expecting to start and stop so much during shooting (Load 1, wait for inspection, shoot one, wait for inspection, load five... etc.) Is that standard?

Thanks in advance,

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Any nasty surprises taking yer ccdw?

Post by Rem700 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:41 pm

its simple and easy if you are competent at all. Truthfully the hardest part is making it through the video with out falling asleep!

As far as the shooting portion Im guessing that is gonna be based on the instructor. I took it from a member on here and I just popped in a mag and went to town. (XDm 19+1) so no reload required.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:07 pm

Nothing other than one of the instructor's gun going off in the middle of class, and not on purpose.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:28 pm

That? That would be a nasty surprise!
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:34 pm

I know a GREAT CCDW instructor in LaGrange. He is a newly retired OC jailer. Contact me if interested in his contact info. If you can stay awake and you have seen a gun in a movie once you should be able to pass the class most likely. If you have ever shot a gun you should never fail...haha

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:40 pm

Thanks niceguy. Heh.

- K
~~~

~~~

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:31 pm

It's easy as can be. Just a really long video. As for the shooting portion. If you can't hit a target that big from that close you probably can't hit a urinal from point blank and piss all over the floor and should just run into traffic and kill yourself. :llama:

I'm sure you'll do just fine.

wash
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by wash » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:35 pm

The method of the course of fire is pretty much left up to the instructor. I've never heard of anyone having applicants only load one round at a time. Most instructors don't do that that I know of. I sure don't.

Forgot to say good luck! You'll do fine, the test is multiple choice and open book. 25 questions, 70% required to pass. If you fail, you are allowed one retest right then and there.

Shooting portion is 20 shots at 7 yards, must hit 11/20 on a silhouette style target to pass, and a retest is allowed if you don't.

Get a good nights sleep the night before, have breakfast, take caffeine. Haha.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:19 pm

Thanks to you all. I'm not really worried about it, but I hate paying money and then going in blind. Thanks again, and good night.

- Keith
~~~

~~~

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:34 pm

CCDW passed! ... with a six inch grouping. (Did I mention I'm new to pistol fire?) Was even made assistant Range Safety Officer for three lanes! Got to shoot last and "at will" instead of load and fire by the numbers. But it's weird to shoot alone with thirty people staring a hole into the back of your head! That was a first for me.

Thanks again, everyone. Much appreciated. And now? We wait for the gears of government to grind out a licence. ;)

- Keith
~~~

~~~

wash
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by wash » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:08 pm

Congrats!

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:14 pm

mine was an idiot , he pointed his gun at us like a freaking moron, never covered the 4 rules of gun safety at all, I would never willingly shoot with him or any of the staff .

wash
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by wash » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:30 pm

Pretty much anyone that can half way shoot with $150 can be an instructor. Sorry to hear you had a less than washtastic experience SOL.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:45 pm

That's unfortunate. My instructor was an absolute pro. He volunteered answers to questions I didn't even know to ask! It was obvious early on that he'd been doing this a long time, and I learned a lot. If I had thought to get his permission I'd promote him by name, but I didn't, so I won't.

- Keith
~~~

~~~

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:55 pm

Good to hear that had good instructor
Me and wife used Gundoc and he was great.

Dashammer

Post by Dashammer » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:07 pm

No nasty surprises but it was eye opening for me and alittle scary. My instructor was a young guy and he new his stuff so gtg there, however there were 50 plus in the class rangeing from old dudes in bib overhauls packing old school hog legs to a young female school teacher who didn't even know how to load the brand new PPK her husband had bought her let alone grip it right. Another surprise was that out of the group there where maybe 2 or 3 real shooters in attendance if that me included :). During a dry fire exercise the instructor waved me over and I worked with this young school teacher (she drives all over KY as an teacher instructor for the state) got her able to load and hip rack and grip it with out loseing her left hand thumb in the process. Just remember when you are out there there are some real live yahoos packing too.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:31 pm

CCDW acheived! 65 day turn around for the State Police to make it happen. Hopefully that will shorten up a bit for others after the holidays.

- Keith
~~~

~~~

Eireguy
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Eireguy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:39 pm

Must be nice i'm close to 90 days now.no one in my class has got it yet

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:08 am

Kadnine wrote:CCDW acheived! 65 day turn around for the State Police to make it happen. Hopefully that will shorten up a bit for others after the holidays.

- Keith
Congrats
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

cardnation

Post by cardnation » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:05 pm

Kadnine wrote:CCDW acheived! 65 day turn around for the State Police to make it happen. Hopefully that will shorten up a bit for others after the holidays.

- Keith
Does that 65 days include the wait for your "certificate of completion" or just the KSP portion?

I waited 36 days for the certificate alone and I'm now at 5 weeks since then.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:07 pm

65 total.
~~~

~~~

RWillieK

Post by RWillieK » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:42 pm

My certificate took as long as they possibly had....hoping the Flash Pack comes in soon.

Return to “Concealed Carry”