Pulled Over While CCW

Forum for concealed carry questions, classes, tips, and tricks.
pturner40215
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Pulled Over While CCW

Post by pturner40215 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:45 pm

Recent experience from last night

Pulled over for my lcense plate lights being out :llama:

Officer walked up to my window after I had flipped my dome lights on as a courtesy

Informed me that my lights were out, but at the same time flashlighted my back seat and discovered loose rounds of 7.62x54r I had laying around in the back seat from a recent trade deal I had done and forgot about a few rounds.

The officer drew his weapon and aimed, then had me follow the usual search and pat down routine. While doing so I informed the officer that I had no weapons on me at the time and I was a legal carry conceled permit holder, and that the ammo was loose from where I hadnt had a chance to clean them up do to recent deaths in the family and a busy schedule. I made no fast movements, and followed every instruction.

His beat partner had me at the trunk of my car while the other officer searched my vehicle. All while this is going on three more cars showed up and blocked the intersection where they had me pull over, running up on the curbs, like they were responding to a deadly situation.

After all was searched and I explained that I was leaving a friends house, and headed to my residence, he asked if I had any proof of what firearm that he inquired at the beginning "What the F*CK shoots this?" I went and pulled up pictures from my phone of the semi-custom mosin I bought about a year ago. They all looked and said it was a nice rifle and to make sure that I get the lights fixed and to please remove the loose ammo from the vehicle. No citation or arrest, just a LONG, LONG search of me and my vehicle. NO HARM, NO FOUL.

It had me wondering, when I was first 21, I was pulled over for no seat belt, I didnt have my CCDW permit at the time, but had my g23 in the glove box, after about a 2 HOUR search, they sent me on my way with the weapon, and the ammo in a little evidence baggy.

My question, If you have a CCDW permit and get pulled over, shouldnt that speed the process up a bit? I understand they were just doing their jobs, and I do not fault them for that. I understand the drawing of the weapon to an extent, but to search the vehicle (of someone who holds a CCDW permit) with a fine toothed comb over a weapon that IS NOT THERE, seems a bit extreme.

Has anyone had any similar run-ins while possessing a firearm on thier person/vehicle?

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Pulled Over While CCW

Post by JustShootIt » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:51 pm

I dont see why they had any reason to search your vehicle
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

Nolan
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Nolan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:57 pm

Typical over reaction-pisses me off
"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

-- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

GreyGoose
KAC Member
KAC Member

Pulled Over While CCW

Post by GreyGoose » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:01 pm

I think they profile when there scan reveal a CCDW holder. I was pull over a couple years back. Officer approached driver side weapon drew screaming any weapons in the truck I was blown away by that. Reason I was being pulled over I pulled out of a gas station without my headlights on. It was a mistake I made, but the whole experience was ridiculous. I was also removed from the truck and a search was preformed no ticket issued just harassed for about 45 mins.

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Pulled Over While CCW

Post by Toddinlou » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:13 pm

I've been stopped a few times and never been treated poorly by any dept. Just turn on the lights, stay calm, and keep your hands on the wheel. Tell the officer that I have my ccdw and if and where any gun in the car is. At that point I ask him how he wants to proceed before reaching for my wallet and registration. Not saying the OP did anything wrong, just what has worked for me.

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Pulled Over While CCW

Post by 86 slo-vo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:18 pm

JustShootIt wrote:I dont see why they had any reason to search your vehicle
this, loose rounds does not constitute a search. I'd be making some calls.

I have yet to get pulled over since getting my CCDW.
Marcus wrote:KAC, marrying above their league since 2012.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:20 pm

Maybe one of our LEO members will correct me, but I have to think that a few loose rounds of ammo in plain sight hardly constitutes probable cause for a search.

I don't advocate, or like, being a hardass with police officers, but if they insisted on searching my vehicle and detaining me in a situation like this, I'm afraid I would have had to insist on a warrant being secured before allowing a search.

No, there wouldn't be anything incriminating or illegal in my vehicle, there never is, but I will not get bullied by dicks in a uniform just because they feel like it. If they feel the need to waste my time over something so stupid, then I will happily reciprocate.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:32 pm

you might not like me for saying it but...

typical cop crap

Nolan
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Nolan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:33 pm

Having bullets in car is not breaking any laws-why Leo got to make drama?

jmeister
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 3 times

Post by jmeister » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:34 pm

Wyldman wrote: I don't advocate, or like, being a hardass with police officers, but if they insisted on searching my vehicle and detaining me in a situation like this, I'm afraid I would have had to insist on a warrant being secured before allowing a search.
This
I would not have consented to the unwarranted search of my vehicle. If I was in the mood and in no hurry they would be earning their keep that day.

pturner40215

Post by pturner40215 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:06 pm

I was happy to oblige the original officer that came up to my window. My neighborhood isn't the greatest and my vehicle is hardly unnoticeable, and ammunition usually goes hand in hand with a firearm. I do not blame him for searching or patting me down. It's his job to do so, and beings I am in school to do the same job, I understand his mentality for doing so.

It was the longevity and detail of the search that had me puzzled. I am going to make a phone call about another officer however. When all was almost said and done he blatantly asked "so what is your drug of choice?" beings I don't do any type of illegal substance I was a smartass and replied caffeine and nicotine, one of the other officers chuckled, as he was getting agitated. That pissed me off and I will be making a call about that one.

Nolan
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Nolan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:21 pm

Typical

wash
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by wash » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:23 pm

I'd definately file a complaint. There was no reason to put your life at risk by drawing and aiming a firearm at you. Your were breaking no laws. Having ammunition in your vehicle is 100% legal. I have never had any issue during a routine stop because I have my CCDW license. Zero. If anything, it has helped matters by stimulating polite conversation after the officer had conducted his business.

To read that this can and does happen in America, much less right here in Kentucky, saddens me greatly. What is the world coming to when having a few rounds in your backseat gets you drawn and treated like a criminal? Sorry for your experience, and thanks for sharing.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:29 pm

Loose rounds ??
Gun in the vechicle?
Hell at anytime,there could be one or more guns in my vechicle.
I too am a federal officer (no arrest prowers-FFL enforce federal gun laws)

Interference with a FFL is a federal felony.
And when he drew the gun any corperation would have been zero.

Last time I was pulled over the officer approched my window and I gave him my DL and CCDW and no problems and NO DRAMA

wash
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by wash » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:32 pm

OP, did this happen in Louisville? Not asking for specific location of course, just pretty sure only in Louisville, and maybe Lexington, could this happen. No self respecting officer is going to associate seeing a few loose RIFLE rounds in the BACK SEAT of a vehicle as a threat by the driver. I drive around all the time, with my car/truck loaded to the brim with rifles, shotguns, pistols, ammo, targets, ect. Going to/from the range and to/from CCDW classes. To think that legally transporting legal personal belongings could get a person drawn and and aimed at(which puts your life at risk big time, cause you know they have one in the chamber and you hope they have good trigger finger discipline, but I wouldn't count on that) is a sad state of affairs. That is not the way an American citizen should have to go through life. That is straight forward intimidation and abuse of power in my mind.

I have a range bag with probably 500 rounds of ammo, some of them loose, and a gun case with 4 pistols in it, in my truck right now. Had a CCDW class yesterday and left the pistols in their cause I'm going to the range this afternoon. If I'm stopped, I'm sure I would not be drawn on by the BG police.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:35 pm

Jump started a car not too long ago and when I lifted up the cover in the trunk over the spare (where I keep the cables) a bunch of rounds (5.56 & 7.62x51) were rolling around. must of have fallen out of my bag awhile back.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:36 pm

wash wrote:
I have a range bag with probably 500 rounds of ammo, some of them loose, and a gun case with 4 pistols in it, in my truck right now. Had a CCDW class yesterday and left the pistols in their cause I'm going to the range this afternoon. If I'm stopped, I'm sure I would not be drawn on by the BG police.

Is that all you got? they won't worry about you...now if they catch Marcus....

wash
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by wash » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:38 pm

I've found rounds in the spare tire well too WLJ. They like to hide in their. :llama:

Haha, Dave, I hear you. If they were to pull me over on the way to a group shoot, God help me. All kinds of evil "assault type" rifles and tons of ammo. Haha.

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Tyler » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Did you consent to the search?
Height Supremacist

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Pulled Over While CCW

Post by etownguy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:49 pm

I have a bunch of 5.56 loose in the trunk where a container spilled. Some rolled under the back seat :(

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:51 pm

Let say you were driving through someplace like NYC, NJ etc.. could this be a problem?
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

mdp

Post by mdp » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:55 pm

I consented to the search. I was in no hurry whatsoever and KNEW that NOTHING illegal was in my vehicle. The officer followed the terry stop limitations (i.e did not go IN to my pockets and or under clothing) and asked for consent to the search. I understand that fully, and MAYBE, just MAYBE I can understand drawing of his weapon, due to the recent shootings in my neighborhood. I am in the southend of Louisville, near Taylor Blvd and the Watterson. We have had three shootings in about two weeks one street over from mine. NO ONE has been shot mind you, but nonetheless. I personally don't hold anytnhing against the INITIAL officer, he was very respectful with his attitude and actions.

pturner40215

Post by pturner40215 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Sorry guys, visiting my father in law and didn't notice I was on his login by accident. (Idiot mode right now)

I consented to the search. I was in no hurry whatsoever and KNEW that NOTHING illegal was in my vehicle. The officer followed the terry stop limitations (i.e did not go IN to my pockets and or under clothing) and asked for consent to the search. I understand that fully, and MAYBE, just MAYBE I can understand drawing of his weapon, due to the recent shootings in my neighborhood. I am in the southend of Louisville, near Taylor Blvd and the Watterson. We have had three shootings in about two weeks one street over from mine. NO ONE has been shot mind you, but nonetheless. I personally don't hold anytnhing against the INITIAL officer, he was very respectful with his attitude and actions.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:19 pm

Loose ammo or 15 guns in the car is not probable cause for anything, especially having a cc permit. I would not have consented to search and he would finally get to learn a few laws he apparently didn't know. PS I am extremely dissapointed in you having a cc permit and not carrying especially after you just said you live in a bad area and have had several shootings there lately.

pturner40215

Post by pturner40215 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:23 pm

I usually have something on me, either my EDC or at the least a small 22. One of the very rare times I was unarmed, and it probably would've made the situation take even longer now that I think about it.

Return to “Concealed Carry”