cc on out of state vacation?

Forum for concealed carry questions, classes, tips, and tricks.
bigelowe
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Post by bigelowe » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:00 pm

Just wondering if anyone cc's when they go out of town on family vacations. Thoughts and remarks please.
Not everyone can be a winner or get a trophy, we are raising a society full of pu**ies

2nd place is the 1st place loser.

Currently looking for that unicorn.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: cc on out of state vacation?

Post by Rem700 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:04 pm

Im sure some others will chime in, but fro most that have asked similar questions here and on other sites the general consensus seems to be to do your research. Find out about the laws of the state you will be visiting and any states you will travel through. Comply with those states regs and you should be just fine. Find out if the state honors KY CCDW etc.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0

Post by justang1997 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:10 pm

I always carry mine esp out of town or state. The hard part is, just because a state will honor ky permit holder, its laws may be different and KY residents tend to be spoiled because some states are so strict on the where and when you can carry.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:31 pm

Always, assuming there is reciprocity. It's almost always Florida for me, so it's no problem. Just make sure to know the laws at your destination

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:02 pm

I always have a weapon on me (knife or firearm, typically both).. Local, Out of State, or Over seas.. End of story. I obey the laws, but I don't sacrifice the safety of myself or my family either.

Mudcat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mudcat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:07 pm

I generally do not go to states where they say I am illegal to carry. Otherwise concealed means concealed and only a metal detector stops me.

Sent from my evil black iPhone using Tapatalk

kyswede
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by kyswede » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:08 pm

Go to kc3 dot com for a list of states that honor your KY CCDW. They also have a map you can print out. I refuse to visit a state that does not honor my CCDW. They will not get 1¢ of my money.
Cutting grass is the price I gladly pay for not being cold.

ShayneThill

Post by ShayneThill » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:15 am

I heard from the detectorall that even the bra underwire can set off metal detectors. That is really funny. :D
Last edited by ShayneThill on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:47 am

Mudcat wrote:I generally do not go to states where they say I am illegal to carry. Otherwise concealed means concealed and only a metal detector stops me.

Best answer ^
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BIGC » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:48 am

Lol, somebody dug out an old thread......
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:09 am

From the dead....

Lol, I never even looked at the date
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:51 am

This is a good one to revise. Since I teach CC, I find myself in this conversation a lot. There is A LOT more too it (if you want to be safe) than just looking at a Reciprocity Map.

Not only do different States have different rules (Am I required to show my CCDW permit to an officer if pulled over for a traffic stop in ALL the States I am traveling through?) on how and where you carry (Florida has no OC, so don't be printing or having peek-a-boo's there) they may all have different laws on when you can LEGALLY use deadly force. Not all States have Stand Your Ground Laws even when they have a Castle Doctrine. You should make sure you understand the laws on Deadly Force and Justifications for using it in self defense for the places you are traveling, even the ones you are passing through. Who knows, you might actually need to defend yourself or your family in a Tennessee gas station while you are on your way to the Gulf Coast.

The best resource I have found is:

http://www.handgunlaw.us

The first page has basic info for most asked questions (Whose permit do they recognize? Do I have to show CCDW when stopped?) along with when the page was updated. it is updated frequently. There are also links under the specific sections to applicable State law as well as laws on knife carry and non-lethal weapon carry (tasers and pepper spray are also not legal in every State.

Do yourself a favor and research those things before you travel. After you have had to defend yourself is not the time to start looking them up.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

jgard6

Post by jgard6 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:20 am

I think carrying is especially important while traveling on vacation as you are generally in unfamiliar areas and quite often have more cash on you than normal.

Thanks for info and link ChopperDoc.

ShayneThill

Post by ShayneThill » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:27 am

Mudcat wrote:I generally do not go to states where they say I am illegal to carry. Otherwise concealed means concealed and only a metal detector stops me.

I am really interested in metal detector. How does it work? Anyone got used metal detector for sale?
Last edited by ShayneThill on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:51 pm

I carried today during a tour of Monticello. Seemed appropriate.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 334 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:14 pm

The best resource I have found is:

I'm heading back to my Granny's in Mississippi the end of this month and plan on carrying since I'm not flying and had not done my research before leaving like last time. I've looked over both states (TN and MS) I'll be traveling through and to, on the site above and saved a link to the site and one for each state specifically to my phone. I have CCDW, they both honor Ky permit and I'm legal per their mag cap laws. I'm not looking for legal advice, but advice on any other sites or things I should look into before traveling in those 2 states, or any other states for that matter. Any direction is much appreciated. Had permit for a little while now but still don't carry like I should, I'm trying to change that though. Slowly getting better. Any other helpful sites or laws I should look into would be appreciated also. Thanks CD for the site above. I really had no clue where to start looking.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:41 am

niceguyr6 wrote:The best resource I have found is:

I'm heading back to my Granny's in Mississippi the end of this month and plan on carrying since I'm not flying and had not done my research before leaving like last time. I've looked over both states (TN and MS) I'll be traveling through and to, on the site above and saved a link to the site and one for each state specifically to my phone. I have CCDW, they both honor Ky permit and I'm legal per their mag cap laws. I'm not looking for legal advice, but advice on any other sites or things I should look into before traveling in those 2 states, or any other states for that matter. Any direction is much appreciated. Had permit for a little while now but still don't carry like I should, I'm trying to change that though. Slowly getting better. Any other helpful sites or laws I should look into would be appreciated also. Thanks CD for the site above. I really had no clue where to start looking.
Anytime man. It is what I do.

that website is updated extremely frequently. They had the stuff published about New Mexico not honoring the KY CCDW permit up before it became effective and still weeks before it was published on the KY State Police website. Not sure how the people who run the site get such good and timely info, but it has been that way consistently for years.

There are some decent mobile apps, but they mostly seem to focus on reciprocity and finding the details (Can I carry in a bar or a place like Applebee's? is there a State Preemption? Do I have to notify police I have a firearm if pulled over? What if I have a rifle in the trunk...can it be loaded?) seems to be much more difficult on most mobile apps I have seen. And this is free. You still need to do your homework and read the stuff and clink the links to the actual laws and statutes, but it puts it all right there for you.

Mississippi data was updated 10/5/2013

Mississippi state law puts the force of law behind "No Gun" signs on private property. Be wary for that. The signs must meet certain criteria to be considered valid, but you would hate to be shopping and talking with family and miss the sign going into a place. It also seems that even road side rest areas can be posted to prohibit firearms in the State. Not sure how many actually are.

Even though there is a State Preemption law, local governments have the authority to ban guns in city parks and such. Something to watch for.

Technically, Mississippi does not have a Stand Your Ground Law, but the statutes linked do tell me that you have no DUTY to retreat if you meet the criteria for self defense and that a judge MAY instruct the jury that they can’t consider that the person did not try to retreat in their deliberations.

Deescalation is always the best idea, but be aware of the fact that the idea of Stand Your Ground, as compared to Florida or Kentucky, does not seem to be seen as a right but MAY be considered at a judges discretion.

Castle Doctrine (in your car or home) is seen as a right and if someone is coming in to either forcibly the law will assume (unless evidence points otherwise) that they intend you harm that justifies your use of force or deadly force to defend.

Have a good trip man.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Dashammer

Post by Dashammer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:02 am

If where I am planning to travel doesn't honor my Ky CCW permit then I don't travel there. If I am somewhere and have to defend me and mine and some how I ended up getting puked by some bs law, then as a wise man my father said, " best way to do time is on a murder conviction if you have to do time", that way when Karuffo your cell mate ask what you in for sweet chicks, you can reply I kill me a bunch of A-holes sugar plum as I understand it that usually cut the sexual tention quite abit from the get go.

Return to “Concealed Carry”