How arrogance, ignorance & undereducation can get you killed

Forum for concealed carry questions, classes, tips, and tricks.
ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

How arrogance, ignorance & undereducation can get you killed

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:43 am

http://www.paulmarkel.com/the-truth-abo ... ment-62466

Great read.

An excerpt:
“I wouldn’t worry about how many rounds the gun holds. If you can’t get the job done with the first couple of shots you probably can’t get it done.” That quote was offered within earshot at a gun shop I occasionally frequent by the resident expert standing behind the counter.

The recipient of the advice was a middle-aged woman looking for her first defensive handgun. In the clerk’s hand was an S&W J-frame revolver of which he was attempting to convince her to purchase. What qualifications did the clerk possess to advise this woman that after the first couple of shots the rest were gratuitous? The best I could tell was that he owned firearms and worked in a gun shop.

Accepting the previously offered logic, lawmen nationwide should be carrying 3-shot sidearms to save the taxpayers from purchasing all that wasteful and superfluous ammunition. After all, aren’t lawmen better trained than the woman in question? Certainly a police officer should be able solve any shooting problem with a “couple of shots”.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 82 times

Re: How arrogance, ignorance & undereducation can get you ki

Post by rustynuts » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:50 am

You mean I don't need to carry around these two extra mags with me?

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:05 pm

Great read!

DDgunslinger
Been liked: 0

Post by DDgunslinger » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:18 pm

ChopperDoc wrote:http://www.paulmarkel.com/the-truth-abo ... ment-62466

Great read.

An excerpt:
“I wouldn’t worry about how many rounds the gun holds. If you can’t get the job done with the first couple of shots you probably can’t get it done.” That quote was offered within earshot at a gun shop I occasionally frequent by the resident expert standing behind the counter.

The recipient of the advice was a middle-aged woman looking for her first defensive handgun. In the clerk’s hand was an S&W J-frame revolver of which he was attempting to convince her to purchase. What qualifications did the clerk possess to advise this woman that after the first couple of shots the rest were gratuitous? The best I could tell was that he owned firearms and worked in a gun shop.

Accepting the previously offered logic, lawmen nationwide should be carrying 3-shot sidearms to save the taxpayers from purchasing all that wasteful and superfluous ammunition. After all, aren’t lawmen better trained than the woman in question? Certainly a police officer should be able solve any shooting problem with a “couple of shots”.

Reminds me of the two older ladies, that attended our CCDW course some time back. They had been convinced by the same kind of logic, and in turn bought the same kind of light weight revolvers. Both women could hardly handle shooting the entire 20rd for qualification because the felt recoil was to much for their hands... smh

Good Article and worth the read.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 60 times

Post by ssracer » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:37 pm

I have stood around shooters and listened to the exact same crap oozing out of the mouths of the guys behind the counter, pushing light weight snubby revolvers as the ultimate CC/personal defense weapon.

Granted, my main CC these days is an XDS carrying 6 total rounds, but I know I can handle the recoil of it and if those 6 rounds don't get the job done I can quickly pop 7 more in to it. I wish I hadn't sold my XDM compact and may get another at some point.

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Dustin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:03 pm

I have worked on that side of the counter. I have told too many people that you want a steel frame revolver unless you know what in for. I carry the ultra lite j frame. I tell shooter that they might like it. People new to guns, Taurus 85. Its heavy chamber in 38 spl. and it works. Hell I got one for my mother to carry. Push people to wheel gun that dont want to train is fine, they want a simple point and click, Just dont sell them an ultra lite.
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by justang1997 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:41 pm

Good read

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

Return to “Concealed Carry”