3'' 1911 .45

Forum for concealed carry questions, classes, tips, and tricks.
DW-Fan
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

3'' 1911 .45

Post by DW-Fan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:44 pm

Does anyone carry a 3'' 1911 in .45?

If so, which model, holster and short review of why you like it.

Thanks,

DW

1fastmach1

Re: 3'' 1911 .45

Post by 1fastmach1 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Nothing really to add other than I've heard people say the ultra compact 1911 pistols don't cycle very well. I myself carry a 4" sig from time to time. I'd like to shoot a 3" model.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Toddstang » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:48 pm

1fastmach1 wrote:Nothing really to add other than I've heard people say the ultra compact 1911 pistols don't cycle very well. I myself carry a 4" sig from time to time. I'd like to shoot a 3" model.
This:[youtube]2P0edDYdqXU[/youtube]

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Marcus » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:53 pm

I carried a 3.5" Springfield armory loaded compact model for about a year. Aluminum frame. I didn't have any issues with jams or failures, but ultimately sold it because of the low round capacity for it's size and I was having issues with the slide rusting since I carried it every day.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:57 pm

I carried iwb 4 o'clock in a custom leather holster. I carried cocked and locked and found myself checking the ambi safety frequently since it got bumped "off" more than once. That would be an issue with any 1911 with an ambidextrous safety and a reason I don't own any 1911 equipped with one any more.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

DW-Fan

Post by DW-Fan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have read a ton of reviews, compacts seem to have issues when shot a lot and not cleaned.
I don't think they are designed for 3 gun or shooting events. I think most semi-auto will have failures under high volume rapid fire shooting.
Marcus- Thanks for the personal experience with the Springfield. Sounds like a different safety & stainless could make it a keeper.
I've read about the Kimber Ultra and Colt Defender. Seem to be solid & reliable guns.
I'm looking to add a CC .45 to my line up.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Toddstang » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:34 pm

I'd rather go compact on revolver or baby Glock before I'd risk my life with a subcompact 1911.
I love 1911's but would only trust a full size.
The Kimber was the gun that kept jamming in the video above.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 334 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:47 pm

I HIGHLY!!! recommend the XDs .45 if looking for a thin, small, reliable .45acp. 5 or 7rd mags, very very controllable little .45. I was amazed. I expected it to be a handful, like a Airweight or the likes. It's a million times more comfortable to shoot than those. I would gladly meet up with you if you would like to try one out.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:27 pm

I have a Galco leather holster that does what I need. I rarely carry the compact 1911 and this is the only holster I have for it. Comfortable, OWB, with good retention.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Nolan
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Nolan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:56 pm

No problems with my CDP
"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

-- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

DW-Fan

Post by DW-Fan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:22 pm

Toddstang- Thanks for the info and video. I have compact revolver, I'm interested in getting a CC in .45, preferable a 3'' 1911.
I wonder if the Kimber in the video was properly broken in, what ammo was used. It was stated that it failed before 300 rounds during a first day of shooting. I am hoping to gather information from owners or previous owners of 3'' 1911 or similar in .45 on this forum.

niceguy- Thanks for the info on the XDs, I will read up and might take you up on your offer.

ChopperDoc - What model do you have? Rounds fired? Issues? How do you like it?

Nolan- Can you tell me more about your gun and experience?

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:49 pm

I will say this... Even when properly broken in the replacement interval for recoil springs is much shorter on the officer sized models

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:59 am

DW-Fan wrote:Toddstang- Thanks for the info and video. I have compact revolver, I'm interested in getting a CC in .45, preferable a 3'' 1911.
I wonder if the Kimber in the video was properly broken in, what ammo was used. It was stated that it failed before 300 rounds during a first day of shooting. I am hoping to gather information from owners or previous owners of 3'' 1911 or similar in .45 on this forum.

niceguy- Thanks for the info on the XDs, I will read up and might take you up on your offer.

Kimber Ultra Carry. This one is a Limited Edition of 500 from their "Custom Shop" which means that it is a production gun with different grips and a custom finish.

Kimber Ultra Carry's seem to have a lot of folks on the interwebs ticked off. Lots of report of problems. Mine does not like most HP ammo, but anything with a more rounded nose seems to do well. Cor Bon's are out.

I have maybe 300 rounds through it (with ~ 500 on the the spring including previous owner count), with various mags. I have 3 Kimber factory mags for the compact gun and I have used 1911 full size mags (which I would carry instead of the smaller ones) with no issues. The previous owner changed the factory recoil spring for one that is stronger I think. He told me the specifics (Wolff), and I wrote it down, but I am too lazy to go down and find it now. The Kimber compacts have a nested recoil spring and are supposed to get ~1500 rounds before needing replacement. I do remember that. I guess all 1911 compacts are not built like that with some makers recommending spring changes every 400 rounds.

I typically do not carry it as I am wary of the reliability, and the capacity is so low. It does carry pretty well though. Shoots great.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:05 am

Okay, i went and looked it up because it was bothering me.

He put in a 21lb recoil spring set versus the 18lb factory that it came with. I just googled the cost. about $9

DW-Fan

Post by DW-Fan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:44 am

todd- Thanks for the input.
ChopperDoc wrote:
DW-Fan wrote:Toddstang- Thanks for the info and video. I have compact revolver, I'm interested in getting a CC in .45, preferable a 3'' 1911.

Kimber Ultra Carry. This one is a Limited Edition of 500 from their "Custom Shop" which means that it is a production gun with different grips and a custom finish.

Kimber Ultra Carry's seem to have a lot of folks on the interwebs ticked off. Lots of report of problems. Mine does not like most HP ammo, but anything with a more rounded nose seems to do well. Cor Bon's are out.

I have maybe 300 rounds through it (with ~ 500 on the the spring including previous owner count), with various mags. I have 3 Kimber factory mags for the compact gun and I have used 1911 full size mags (which I would carry instead of the smaller ones) with no issues. The previous owner changed the factory recoil spring for one that is stronger I think. He told me the specifics (Wolff), and I wrote it down, but I am too lazy to go down and find it now. The Kimber compacts have a nested recoil spring and are supposed to get ~1500 rounds before needing replacement. I do remember that. I guess all 1911 compacts are not built like that with some makers recommending spring changes every 400 rounds.

I typically do not carry it as I am wary of the reliability, and the capacity is so low. It does carry pretty well though. Shoots great.
This is exactly the kind of hands on information I was searching for, thanks for the detailed reply.
I was 80% a go on trying an Ultra Carry, but it sounds like they require a lot of maintenance, certain ammo and reliability issues. The reliability is making me think twice about picking one up. I am not too concerned with capacity when I am use to carrying a 5 shot revolver.
I knew Kimber had issues a few years ago, I assumed they resolved those issues.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:54 am

Springfield XDS....I carry one in .45 and love it. Never had a problem out of it. The recall sucked, but it's still my EDC

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:03 am

DW-Fan wrote:todd- Thanks for the input.
ChopperDoc wrote:

This is exactly the kind of hands on information I was searching for, thanks for the detailed reply.
I was 80% a go on trying an Ultra Carry, but it sounds like they require a lot of maintenance, certain ammo and reliability issues. The reliability is making me think twice about picking one up. I am not too concerned with capacity when I am use to carrying a 5 shot revolver.
I knew Kimber had issues a few years ago, I assumed they resolved those issues.

They may have, but the design of a 3" 1911 is actually flawed to begin with. it is pushing the physics of the design to very near it's limit. Everything has to be perfectly aligned and operating every single shot. I know the 1911 is popular, and some wanted to use that popularity to help market a sub-compact, but honestly if you look at the changes that had to be made to get it to work I am not even certain you can still call it a 1911.

If I were to carry a 1911 I would go with a 4" model. Ed Brown is a custom gun maker that prides itself on the reliability of their weapons. They refuse to make a 1911 in any package shorter than 4" because the design does not lend itself to reliability. A 4" gun with a bobbed grip is going to conceal nearly as easily as the 3" in most situations. I would go that route if I was planning on it being an everyday carry.

Kimber has big fan base and they produce a lot of guns. I don't believe that their problem rate is any higher than any other production 1911 maker, maybe even lower, so I would not discount the Kimber name based on this handful of reviews.

for what is is, my Ultra Carry has performed well. If I was only basing my decision on my own experience I would have no problem carrying it. Knowing what I know about 3" 1911 guns in general has me hesitant to carry it, especially when i have other options.

DW-Fan

Post by DW-Fan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:44 pm

ss- I have been reading some on the XDs, seem like a strong and reliable gun. I had a full size XD .45, but it was way to large for my needs.

Chopperdoc- Thanks for the details and great information. I currently have a 4.25'' Dan Wesson Vbob, I couldn't ask for a better 1911. It is a great gun. It is fine as a carry gun, I was just thinking it would nice to have 3'' barrel vs 4.25'', less weight and more compact.

I am still up in the air about what to do.

I have read some bad and some good reviews. Most issues seem to be failures after high volume shooting like the video above & spring wear. I think most 1911s with tight spacing will start to gum up after a few hundred rounds.
My thoughts are they seem finicky, but if I maintenance it well, use proper ammo and keep it clean it should be able to fire 50 times without an issue right?
Does that make it a reliable CC?

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Marcus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:48 pm

DW, fwiw, I don't believe 1" of barrel will matter as much as you think it will. I know it was not significantly harder to carry a full-size 1911 as the 3.5" one I owned. I guess that depends on how you plan to carry it.

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:00 pm

That's a lot of dough to spend for such a small change. A bad change if you ask me. Buy a shield or if you really want the power of a 45, be like everyone else and get an xds. They are both sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:00 pm

That's a lot of dough to spend for such a small change. A bad change if you ask me. Buy a shield or if you really want the power of a 45, be like everyone else and get an xds. They are both sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DW-Fan

Post by DW-Fan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:56 pm

I wasn't sure how much difference there was between a compact and regular 1911. I have not handled one. I would rather ask some people that have owned one before thinking about going to the gun shop and looking. I don't want to waste their time or make a purchase only based on what the sales person tells me.
I am wanting a .45 to stay with the same caliber, that's the only reason.
Everyone has been very helpful.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:57 pm

I can bring the Kimber to work with me one day if ya want to check it out.

Nolan
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Nolan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:03 pm

I can't say much on reliability-- only put about 100 rounds thru my CDP ultra II-- no problems with the few I have shot
"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

-- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

DW-Fan

Post by DW-Fan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:13 pm

ChopperDoc- That would be great if I could check it out. Let me know the details of when and where.

Nolan - What ammo do you use?

Return to “Concealed Carry”