Shoot me first photographers vest

Forum for concealed carry questions, classes, tips, and tricks.
Roguestew
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Roguestew » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:54 pm

I have a photographers vest and some say it screams man with gun. However I have friends that say the general population are sheep and don't notice such things.

What do you think?

Stu
All incoming fire has the right of way...

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Shoot me first photographers vest

Post by Ian » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:58 pm

I have been thinking of running with some extra weight from time to time and wasn't sure how I would do it fairly comfortably. I didn't want to just throw some weights in a backpack and have it smashing into my spine over and over. :llama:

At walmart the other day I was walking to get some ammo and passed these... I had the same thought.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/12177384?adid ... la&veh=sem
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:00 pm

Ian wrote:
At walmart the other day I was walking to get some ammo and passed these... I had the same thought.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/12177384?adid ... la&veh=sem
That looks like the latest fashion in the mid east.
BOOM!
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:32 pm

I don't think they scream "gun!"

I just think they look goofy. Because of this I usually wear an unbuttoned long sleeve shirt over a T-shirt.

Roguestew

Post by Roguestew » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:11 pm

yeah I usually wear the unbuttoned short sleeve shirt over a t shirt. Got the vest for Christmas and was trying to decide to wear it this fall.
All incoming fire has the right of way...

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:14 am

The backpack with weights will mess up your spine just FYI. Because its bouncing all around and pulls down on your spine.

Least that's what I was told anyway
---------------------Integrity, Honesty, Discipline, Respect-------------------------
WLJ wrote:Damn I need to install a Till filter.
GeminiXD9 wrote:I hope your fu**in car falls apart while your doing 70 on the highway

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ian » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:39 am

Till wrote:The backpack with weights will mess up your spine just FYI. Because its bouncing all around and pulls down on your spine.

Least that's what I was told anyway
That was my fears of doing it.
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:40 am

You mean like GI rucksacks?

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:40 am

Yeah I would defiantly just buy the best that's made for it over using a backpack
---------------------Integrity, Honesty, Discipline, Respect-------------------------
WLJ wrote:Damn I need to install a Till filter.
GeminiXD9 wrote:I hope your fu**in car falls apart while your doing 70 on the highway

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:33 pm

What are you asking, exactly? Better define your situation and your question.

Depending on what you're trying to do, weighted pack works just fine if you do it right. Pack it correctly, like you're actually going to use it. Don't fill it with useless shit (sand, lead, rocks); fill it with things you may need (sleeping back in the bottom, water, food).

On the topic of apparel, anyone with an ounce of situational awareness notices things like a 'shoot me' vest, or better yet the guy walking through the airport in a softshell with Velcro all over it. The sheep will not....
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:15 pm

Roguestew wrote:yeah I usually wear the unbuttoned short sleeve shirt over a t shirt. Got the vest for Christmas and was trying to decide to wear it this fall.
I will say they're handy if you shoot any of the action pistol games, which is what I use my ancient Banana Republic vest for. Pockets are good.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:31 am

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I'm about to take my CCW and this is a question on my mind. I was actually leaning towards a photographer's vest for CC but not if it screams I'M CARRYING! which, apparently it does.

Hickok45 wears an open over-shirt, sometimes a loose t-shirt...

[youtube]7gjUknHqvGY[/youtube]

... and that seems fine as far as it goes, but I'm looking for something a bit sharper. No one suspects the guy in the polo shirt and blazer, toting a golf bag full of of AR-15s! Specifically, does anyone know of a well-made fashion vest available in the Lou area? I used to wear a really nice one in the 90's that hit mid thigh, had an Asian-style, collar-less neck, and six buttons. I wore that one till it fell to pieces. Oh, to have that back! Like gold in my hands!

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:07 am

Vests and fanny packs scream "look at me I have a gun" but only to the initiated imo. Just like 5.11 pants and the like. But (again imo) the avg non gun forum member of society can't tell the difference between walmart brand cargo pocket pants and designer ccw pants.
Most people (sheeple) have absolutely zero situational awareness. If your gun was covered by a t shirt in a iwb holster and was printing really bad it still wouldn't be the first thing to enter their mind that its a gun if the even payed enough attention to see it. Most would assume its the new iphone 5 on your belt under your shirt.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:24 am

justang1997 wrote:Vests and fanny packs scream "look at me I have a gun" but only to the initiated imo. Just like 5.11 pants and the like. But (again imo) the avg non gun forum member of society can't tell the difference between walmart brand cargo pocket pants and designer ccw pants.
Most people (sheeple) have absolutely zero situational awareness. If your gun was covered by a t shirt in a iwb holster and was printing really bad it still wouldn't be the first thing to enter their mind that its a gun if the even payed enough attention to see it. Most would assume its the new iphone 5 on your belt under your shirt.
Agreed. If they aren't a gun enthusiast then they have no clue over the type of apparel. I guarantee you ask a criminal about a guy wearing a photography vest and they will say he dresses like a nerd and not that he has a gun.

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:51 am

Anymore I usually carry owb with an untucked shirt over it. If it shows occasionally I don't care. The more I carry and the older I get the less I care if someone notices.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:32 pm

Good comments, all. I'll remember this.

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

climber211

Post by climber211 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Can't be any worse than the guys with fanny packs!
My wife says I need a "gun collection intervention"

Return to “Concealed Carry”