Wounded Warrior Project shuns Gun Talk Radio

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by scorpionmain » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:57 pm

Per Elzetta Design
We recently auctioned off a rare "Black Chrome" Elzetta ZFL-M60 Flashlight and gave 100% of the money to Wounded Warrior Project. After reading this, perhaps we should have chosen another charity. What is your take on WWP's policy?

Wounded Warrior Project Email Exchange
by Gun Talk on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 11:56am ·

After Sunday's show, we've gotten many emails about Tom's remarks after WWP declined an interview request on Gun Talk Radio because it's a firearms-related show. We've also seen the forums that are suggesting many things that are not true. So, I'm going to lay it all out right here.
We thought it would be great to book the WWP on the Veteran's Day show to promote the organization, so I contacted them. I was flabbergasted when their PR contact, Leslie, sent me an email saying they could not participate because our show dealt with firearms. Knowing that WWP has a booth at SHOT show and various gun shows across the US, takes wounded warriors on hunts and range days, raffles guns and accessories as fundraisers, etc., their policy didn't make much sense. I forwarded the email on to Tom to get his take.
-Sarah

The following is the complete email exchange:
====================
Hello, Leslie:
Sarah forwarded me your email after I asked her to invite the Wounded Warriors Project to join me on "Tom Gresham's Gun Talk" radio show.

I'm stunned at your email saying that the WWP doesn't participate in an interview or activity related to firearms. Inasmuch as there are 90 million gun owners and most of them support wounded veterans, I think they would be shocked to hear that they are, by way of their hobbies, somehow not worthy of helping with the Wounded Warriors Project.

Does your policy apply also to police agencies and the military, since they are "related to firearms?"

I'm hoping that we have misunderstood your email. Can you confirm that it is, in fact, an official policy of the Wounded Warriors Project to not do interviews with or participate in any activity related to firearms?

Thank you.
Tom Gresham

============

Good afternoon --

While we appreciate your interest in Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) you are correct that we decline the media opportunity.

Please note the following notice that appears on our website which also applies to WWP public awareness policy and inquiries from media outlets:
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ad ... ities.aspx

WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies.

Thank you for your inquiry.

LESLIE A. COLEMAN
public relations director

O: 904.405.1433
M: 904.654.8138
F: 904.296.7347

Wounded Warrior Project
4899 Belfort Road, Suite 300
Jacksonville, Florida 32256

====================
Thanks for confirming that, Leslie. It was a simple opportunity to promote the WWP on a national program in an effort to send donations your way.
I'll pass along the info that you don't want or need the help of America's gun owners.

Best regards,
Tom Gresham

=====================

Good morning --
This policy is not a judgment on those who own and use firearms – clearly every member of our armed forces has been trained in the use of firearms and then called on to use them in the course of their service to this country.

Our position regarding firearms and alcohol is in response to the struggles that many injured service members face with substance abuse and suicide and the roles those items often play in those issues.

Thank you.
LESLIE A. COLEMAN
public relations director

=============================

Hello, Leslie:

Thank you for that explanation.

I do think -- and I'm being as kind as possible -- that it's the nuttiest thing I've heard in years. Suicides are not linked to firearms. Japan has a much higher rate of suicide than does the U.S., and they have essentially no firearms. Suicide is a serious issue irrespective of the methodology used.

This explanation doesn't pass even the most simple "does this make sense" test.

Your policy does, in fact, brand firearms and the companies which make them as undesirables, and by association, you are saying that those who own and use firearms for recreation, hunting, self protection, and other safe and legal uses are to be avoided.

It's certainly your option to ostracize the firearms industry, the 90 million gun owners in America, and the media which support firearms safety training.

At this point, I feel an obligation to make sure the millions who listen to my radio show and watch my two national television series know about your policy.

I cannot fully express how much I feel you are doing a disservice to our wounded veterans, and how disappointed I am to discover this bias at the Wounded Warriors Project.

Sincerely,
Tom Gresham
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Wounded Warrior Project shuns Gun Talk Radio

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:12 pm

First time I have heard this.

I set out to look at their financials. I was interested to see they are rated pretty well, but amazed to find that the Chief Exec's salary (over $300k) is 55% of the expense budget.

Maybe that is the norm for a charity?

Fundraising efficiency is 30 cents on the dollar in the report i found. And they are not rated low overall, so I would hate to see a 'bad' one.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.c ... rgid=12842
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Vividia » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:34 pm

I donate monthly to WWP.

I am rethinking this unless our veterans here on KAC can convince me that the funds are still needed regarless of this ridiculous policy.

What say you folks? I trust your judgement on this issue.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:44 pm

I've read elsewhere recently that only a small fraction of donations actually make it to the families that need it as well

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:01 pm

Vividia wrote:I donate monthly to WWP.

I am rethinking this unless our veterans here on KAC can convince me that the funds are still needed regarless of this ridiculous policy.

What say you folks? I trust your judgement on this issue.

is 30 cents on the dollar going to those who need it a good rating for a charity?

Go to the link I provided and compare it to similar charities at the bottom of the page.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:07 pm

Hey CD.... The head guy isn't 55%, he is 0.55% is the way I read the site. Now that said, Is he over paid to the extent that its not a worthy charity? I don't know. Just wanted to clarify

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:09 pm

Tom Girshman meh who cares

Wounded Warrior GTG

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:14 pm

Toddinlou wrote:Hey CD.... The head guy isn't 55%, he is 0.55% is the way I read the site. Now that said, Is he over paid to the extent that its not a worthy charity? I don't know. Just wanted to clarify

you are correct.

I still do not know if 3 cents on the dollar going to those in need is considered 'good'.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:17 pm

As having been involved with charities and fundraising before, I prefer to use those who keep their operating expenses below 25%, really below 15% if possible...not the other way around. I believe it is a good charity but apparently not very efficient in terms of the use of their funds.

Looksdeadtome

Post by Looksdeadtome » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:25 pm

I will continue my support. I think they try to remain on neutral ground to get funds from everyone. Jmo. I am not saying they are efficient and all that, but I have met a family that has been touched by the WW program and I could not stomach not to do my part, as much as I can anyway.

Ulwembu
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ulwembu » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:46 pm

Maybe they should ask the Task Force Dagger Organisation. They are pro gun and were even present at the Blue Ridge Mountain 3 Gun match in October in Kentucky. Two of their guys were competing for the first time. One of them had lost his legs in battle. The BRM3G did a lot to sponsor their organisation.

http://www.taskforcedagger.org/
DSR 506
IPSC 08-P69 Multi-Gun
Shooting at a range near you!

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by scorpionmain » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:46 pm

How often are firearms used in suicides?
I would like to see some comparative numbers against methods of suicide.
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

Rext
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rext » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:17 pm

I really hate to see that they are anti gun--gun proceeds. I passed this along to a bunch of others too. I would think most or all of their benefactors are pro gun? I dont think they have a problem with it if there is a benefit for them. Something else is that most of their donations I would say,come from the conservative pro gun side.We all know that the vast majority of liberals are not big contributors to charity anyway or pro gun. Look at our leaders donations.The amount spent to take is also something to look at as said earlier.
Kentucky Firearms
Kentucky's class three dealer
..When you just want to shhhoot!

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:28 pm

As far as the .30 cents on the dollar goes, I'd say that may have something to do with the majority of their contributions coming from people buying nice shirts or hats with the logo on them. The product probably eats into the amount that actually makes it into soldiers hands.

And with how big a problem suicide is becoming in the military, I wouldn't fault them for doing all they can to help prevent it, even if it doesn't really help. As long as they think it does I could care less because it's their organization not mine. If I donate to help the wounded veterans, I don't care really what the charity thinks about guns. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Or something like that.

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by scorpionmain » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:59 pm

I did some thinking about this & I think Mr. Gresham might have his ego tied up in this.
In the emails Leslie Coleman states that WWP doesn't wish to be involved with political natures & lets face it Gun Ownership is a political issue.

I think justang1997 is right, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

It's about the veterans & this shouldn't be a 2nd Amendment argument.
–Samuel Adams

Rext
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rext » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:34 am

I would agree with those statements. I have donated in the past and gotten the return address decals and bought shirts etc. But I think on the same token that they are actually the ones politicizing it.They could just leave that out of their mission statement. Who cares where the money comes from if its for a good cause.Gun and alchohol companies have deep pockets,why not take it.It wouldnt be illegal and the ones it would piss off probably dont give money to them anyway? I wont stop donating, but I just think its ridiculous for a charity to even turn someone away when times are hard and they have a dollar to give.
Kentucky Firearms
Kentucky's class three dealer
..When you just want to shhhoot!

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:55 am

I think Grishman is a self inflated expert, just like James Yager.
It human nature, to do so! You don't think that the knowledge that alot of peaple all over the state and even the world "oh Cranky knows this and help me Cranky" , does not inflate my eigo or eggo.
I like to think it is put in check when I am wrong but it is what it is.
Not that he does not know guns but he got butthurt.

As for WW give or not

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:56 am

I think Grishman is a self inflated expert, just like James Yager.
It human nature, to do so! You don't think that the knowledge that alot of peaple all over the state and even the world "oh Cranky knows this and help me Cranky" , does not inflate my eigo or eggo.

As for WW give or not

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:16 am

guncrank1 wrote:I think Grishman is a self inflated expert, just like James Yager.

As for WW give or not
James Yeager makes me want to fill my ears with hot coal when he speaks!

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:29 am

jackalo626 wrote:
guncrank1 wrote:I think Grishman is a self inflated expert, just like James Yager.

As for WW give or not
He does have his own level of knowledge and expertness.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:46 am

Much respect to wounded warriors but shunning gun functions is silly when they support our freedoms and the military almost always. In the end it just hurts the families that need the money. Heroes is all I can say as words don't really sum up the respect I have for the troops.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 am

guncrank1 wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:

As for WW give or not
He does have his own level of knowledge and expertness.
Not discrediting him at all. I am speaking on his smug attitude and know it all tone that is very condescending.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:47 am

in Ky at least, the fundraising person, company, etc can legally keep 50% of the donations for whatever they deem to be 'operational costs'.
We had a problem a few years back with some jerk making phone solicitations for the 'FOP'- Fraternal Order of Police. He got caught because he called a police officer's home on a cold call...anyway, he had been at it for years, not representing any lodge nor the state or national lodges, just saying the money was for 'the FOP'. He showed all his records where he had, in fact, donated 50% of what he took in as charitable donations, and he kept the other half.
Guy made/makes a fortune doing this.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:47 pm

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Vividia » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:37 pm

I may strongly disagree with their antigun stance, but I have decided to continue my support. I do plan on writing a letter to express my displeasure, though.

I really want to help veterans but it bugs me to feel like I have to hold my nose while doing it.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Return to “Everything Else”