Anyone on here installed laminate flooring?

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:52 pm

I'm looking to replace the worn out wood floor in my home with laminate. I'm thinking *maybe* Joe and I can do this ourselves as it seems pretty straightforward.

Anybody done it before to add in their 2 cents?
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Anyone on here installed laminate flooring?

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:59 pm

Yep, easy peezy. take a look at the stuff at Sam'sIt has the backing installed on every piece already so you don't have to buy and roll out the backing separate. Cut to fit, snap it together, it looks and wears great. I'll see if I still have pics from my bonus room project on the inter webs somewhere.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:03 pm

found one.
web.jpg
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Livewire » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:09 pm

I've done about six rooms so far. I've done the wood looking and the tile type. I've always used the roll out backer because the laminate was cheaper for that type. I tried the first time to do it without the spacers and the bar that is recommended. The second time I bought the tools and it makes it quite a bit easier. I've used a circular saw and a compound miter saw and learned a fine tooth blade worked better for me, also I started turning the material upside down and it helped prevent the top layer from flaking or chipping. I've always done it by myself and I am very far from being a carpenter. I just took my time and followed the pattern and it turned out good. I'll take some pics when I get home.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:13 pm

Livewire wrote:I've done about six rooms so far. I've done the wood looking and the tile type. I've always used the roll out backer because the laminate was cheaper for that type. I tried the first time to do it without the spacers and the bar that is recommended. The second time I bought the tools and it makes it quite a bit easier. I've used a circular saw and a compound miter saw and learned a fine tooth blade worked better for me, also I started turning the material upside down and it helped prevent the top layer from flaking or chipping. I've always done it by myself and I am very far from being a carpenter. I just took my time and followed the pattern and it turned out good. I'll take some pics when I get home.

yes on all of those comments above, except the price. When I bought mine (2 years ago maybe 3 now...) Sam's price with the backing installed on the boards was cheaper per square foot than even the sale stuff at the store's I shopped around town (Lowe's, HD and a couple of the Flooring places). Check prices. If it is the same or cheaper, it is one less step and the backing cuts on the saw just fine.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Did you guys rip up the existing floor? As this would be replacing the hardwood we have. I don't have any particular feeling towards leaving or ripping up the current flooring
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:24 pm

if you can, leave the old floor. Just wasted time and effort IMO. I have dont quit a bit of this in the last 5 or 6 years and it is pretty simple even for the DIYer. To start always measure out a wall and chalk lines at about every 4 feet so as you are building it you can check how square it is and adjust if necessary. Other than that if you have a miter saw you should be good to go. I have used the recomended beater block as well as just using a piece of scrap and a rubber mallet. Use the recomended block if possible, less chance of chipping the finish. As far as ripping up the existing like i said leave if possible, but that depends on what kind it is. Is it real hardwood you are covering ( if so leave it), if its existing laminate wood then tear it up.

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Livewire » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:33 pm

That's good to know on the stuff with the backing. I have only checked a couple of styles with backing and it was more so I quit checking it.

Just put it on top of the existing floor. I've put it over hardwood, subfloor and linoleum (sp). Carpet is t an option obviously. It will save you quite a bit of time just laying over it.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:50 pm

mine was a new flooring in the bonus room and carpet in the boy's room, so i had to tear it out. If I have a nice level hardwood floor to install it over I would have liked it better. i think that they used all the scraps of subflooring from the last 3 jobs they did in that one bedroom. There must have been 16 separate pieces of odd shapes nailed and screwed down in that 12x14 bedroom. had to do some sanding and adding some screws level it out and had to replace one piece because it was a different thickness than the rest of the pieces.

You won't need to glue it or anything so I would leave the underlying floor intact and either replace your baseboard (if you are really good you can take it off and reuse it) or just use quarter round. the stuff I got at Sam's did not have a quarter round kit to go with it but I found matching stuff at Lowe's.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 57 times

Post by ssracer » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:53 pm

You can do it yourselves, just takes a while

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:00 pm

The only worry is there is two places where the wood floor is warped in our house. Right after we moved in for whatever reason the floor warped in 3 places (I guess I should say 3 planks) since we could never find the cause we just left em alone. Granted its been 8 years since then but there are a few planks a little wonky. Trying to think if I pull up the wonky ones are just sand it down so they're level?

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:00 pm

Stupid home improvement crap

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by Livewire » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:46 pm

First two pics are the same flooring. The light makes it look different. The last one is a different type.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:46 pm

Chickenlady wrote:The only worry is there is two places where the wood floor is warped in our house. Right after we moved in for whatever reason the floor warped in 3 places (I guess I should say 3 planks) since we could never find the cause we just left em alone. Granted its been 8 years since then but there are a few planks a little wonky. Trying to think if I pull up the wonky ones are just sand it down so they're level?
Are their similar boards in a closet that you could replace the "wonky" ones with?

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:08 pm

I just finished putting laminate wood flooring in our entire upstairs. No previous experience and not many tools are required. All of my cuts were with a circular saw. It's as easier as measure, cut, install and repeat... sometimes you can skip cutting.
Livewire wrote:I remember when this was a free country and not a fascist one filled with limp wristed, tender hearted, liver lipped bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:13 pm

My kitchen is that laminated wood planks stuff. Did it with a buddy maybe 7 years ago. It was pretty simple. We ripped the floor up to the subfloor, rolled out the foam understuffz and pulled the baseboards up and basically laid out the wood. Left a 1/4" gap around all the edges. When we were done I put new baseboard down on top of it and quarter round around the base of the cabinets.

Pretty straightforward. I will help for food:)
:llama:

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:45 pm

I have a radial arm saw just made for cutting laminate to the perfect size. LMK if you have need of it.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Ironsights

Post by Ironsights » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:05 pm

suggestion on what the cause of the warped boards: Check in the crawlspace and if the warped area is directly above any ductwork then there is your problem most likely. need to insulate that area to stop constant temperature change. As for the laminate flooring...very easy as everyone suggested.

Ironsights

Post by Ironsights » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:10 pm

it would be cheaper to refinsih old floor yourself...little bit more mess and time though. We have hardwoord floors much the same you do and ive already looked into this route. another thing is real hardwood looks better and i think would add to overal value of the home if your looking to sell in the near future.

Lio
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Lio » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:16 pm

Ironsights wrote:it would be cheaper to refinsih old floor yourself...little bit more mess and time though. We have hardwoord floors much the same you do and ive already looked into this route. another thing is real hardwood looks better and i think would add to overal value of the home if your looking to sell in the near future.
I was about to say the same thing. Plus, re-finished hardwood rather than laminate would be better in terms of reselling your house if that's ben something that's a possibility.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:16 pm

I refinished my hardwood about 2 yes ago. It is not easy if you don't know the tricks of the trade. Major learning curve to using a large drum sander. Plus you need a random orbital sander for edging and tight spaces. Plus the large random orbital to even out all the drum marks. I would say go the laminate route rather than a DIY refinshing

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Mike wrote:My kitchen is that laminated wood planks stuff. Did it with a buddy maybe 7 years ago. It was pretty simple. We ripped the floor up to the subfloor, rolled out the foam understuffz and pulled the baseboards up and basically laid out the wood. Left a 1/4" gap around all the edges. When we were done I put new baseboard down on top of it and quarter round around the base of the cabinets.

That about sums up my experience too.
Livewire wrote:I remember when this was a free country and not a fascist one filled with limp wristed, tender hearted, liver lipped bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:08 pm

Mike wrote:My kitchen is that laminated wood planks stuff. Did it with a buddy maybe 7 years ago. It was pretty simple. We ripped the floor up to the subfloor, rolled out the foam understuffz and pulled the baseboards up and basically laid out the wood. Left a 1/4" gap around all the edges. When we were done I put new baseboard down on top of it and quarter round around the base of the cabinets.

You act like I can cook or something

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 pm

Ironsights wrote:suggestion on what the cause of the warped boards: Check in the crawlspace and if the warped area is directly above any ductwork then there is your problem most likely. need to insulate that area to stop constant temperature change. As for the laminate flooring...very easy as everyone suggested.
We were in the crawlspace one, two years ago? To fix a leaky pipe, nope, the two warped areas are completely clear of any ducts.

It happened right after we moved in. What I think is just rapid temp changes from the old owners moving out, the house sitting empty for a few days, and then us moving kinda in for about a week. It's the only thing I've been able to come up with.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Ironsights wrote:it would be cheaper to refinsih old floor yourself...little bit more mess and time though. We have hardwoord floors much the same you do and ive already looked into this route. another thing is real hardwood looks better and i think would add to overal value of the home if your looking to sell in the near future.
I've pottytrained 3 dogs on this floor........ It's done for. I was going to sand and refinish, that was thought #1. But by the time I rent the sander, sand it, buy the stain, buy the tools to do it, buy the top coating, spend the time sanding, laying stain, laying top coat, masking everything off to sand, cleaning up the mess, living with it stinking for up to a month, and hope that I do it correctly so it looks right?

Nah, I'll just spend 400-500 and tap tap taparoo in some laminate flooring.

Return to “Everything Else”