Most you have paid for a meal?

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Most you have paid for a meal?

Post by Rem700 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:01 am

Frailer wrote:It's all about priorities.

Some folks like expensive automatic watches that keep time less accurately than a $12 Timex quartz.

Some folks spend thousands on add-ons for their vehicle that do nothing to enhance its ability to take you from point A to point B.

Some folks like to buy guns that will only fulfill their intended purpose if the zombie apocalypse happens.

Etc. Etc.

It's only money, and it's all cool. As long as you're not in debt, keep a roof over your family's head and food on the table you're doing it right.
This right here. But at the same time i would never spend the $150 or whatever it is on 1 Wagyu Beef steak because thats just fucking stupid. No way in hell any piece of meat is worth that

GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by GPtuners » Wed May 09, 2018 11:06 am

A few times a year, the wife and I will have a date night- whether it's an anniversary, birthday, or just a much needed getaway. On average, it's $150-175, plus tip (so it's always around $200).

The most expensive? The wife and I had a meal on a beach off the coast of Thailand that ran about $300-400, but that was a night to remember. We still talk about it.

That being said- there are times I think of food as fuel, and times I enjoy the finer parts of it. I do the same thing with everything I enjoy. I'll shoot a box stock Glock and not think twice, but will fondle a $5000 custom 1911 and think "yeah, that's so worth it." I drive a beat up Mazda 3, (and can't see me buying a lavish car) but when I see the stitching on the dash of a Ferrari, I'm like "oh yeah, I want one".

Like Dave said, I have probably $500 in holsters laying around from the past 15 years or so for guns I don't even own. Enjoy the little things, and cherish the memories with your loved ones. That, and blow your money on whatever the hell you want. :D

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by nemo » Wed May 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Years ago at Commanders Palace in New Orleans. The meal was ordered for us by the company so I didn’t see the prices of individual meals. But the bill was $1,100 + tip for the 6 of us. I was VERY uncomfortable through the whole meal due to the atmosphere and pomp and circumstance of course progressions. It was fun being catered to like that but definitely not me.

Sent from my iJunquePhone 8
Oh, how so high they fly........ only further to fall.

-Life

shaggy1392
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by shaggy1392 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:47 pm

The wife and ate at Eddie Merlot on NYE and spent around $350. The most expensive meal we have ever had was in Grand Cayman and was about $700 pre tip for 4 people.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Wed May 09, 2018 12:47 pm

WLJ wrote:
PDM wrote:Dave gets it. That memory is of much greater value than some gadget
The memory is the people you're with. I would rather go to Roosters and spend $15 with good friends than spend $250 for something I'm just going to poop out the next day that didn't (IMHO) make my friends/loveones/etc any more my friends etc.
It's the people you're with that makes the meal good, not the price IMHO. But hey, if spending $250 for a meal floats your boat, who am I to argue? Not saying I don't enjoy a good meal once in awhile.

Remember a study that was done a while back with wine where they took the cheapest local wine and on half of the bottles switched out the labels for some way over priced French brand which was then priced accordingly and served them at a restaurant and had the customers fill out a survey after the meal. The bottles with the expensive labels were nearly consistency rated as excellent while the bottles with the cheap labels were nearly consistency rated poor. Food (pun!) for thought on how the price can color your perception of things.
Did you and Jack just agree on something?!?!?!? haha

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Wed May 09, 2018 12:52 pm

Joe and I spent 300 at Jeff ruby's. It was a wonderful date. I made it worth his while

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Wed May 09, 2018 12:53 pm

Haha
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Wed May 09, 2018 12:54 pm

I think I spent around $50 with no alcohol at a Chinese place in Singapore for 2 people. 99% sure the most I've ever spent on food for 2... It was very okay, but not nearly as good as a Thai place in Malaysia for a quarter of the cost. INSANELY nice atmosphere and food! And super cheap.

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by nemo » Wed May 09, 2018 2:16 pm

$10-$20 bar food with friends is much better spent money.

Oh, how so high they fly........ only further to fall.

-Life

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Wed May 09, 2018 2:58 pm

Niceguy wrote:I think I spent around $50 with no alcohol at a Chinese place in Singapore for 2 people. 99% sure the most I've ever spent on food for 2... It was very okay, but not nearly as good as a Thai place in Malaysia for a quarter of the cost. INSANELY nice atmosphere and food! And super cheap.
The best *value* I can recall was a meal in an upscale hotel in the outer reaches of the Czech Republic back in the day. There were six of us on a NATO liaison mission, and we enjoyed truly excellent steaks with beers, sides, and deserts. Total bill for our party: $40.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Wed May 09, 2018 3:19 pm

Frailer wrote:
Niceguy wrote:I think I spent around $50 with no alcohol at a Chinese place in Singapore for 2 people. 99% sure the most I've ever spent on food for 2... It was very okay, but not nearly as good as a Thai place in Malaysia for a quarter of the cost. INSANELY nice atmosphere and food! And super cheap.
The best *value* I can recall was a meal in an upscale hotel in the outer reaches of the Czech Republic back in the day. There were six of us on a NATO liaison mission, and we enjoyed truly excellent steaks with beers, sides, and deserts. Total bill for our party: $40.
I want to go there too! haha Malaysia was CRAZY how cheap things were. I stayed in a hotel that would have probably been $750-1000 a night here for $98 a night there. And everything was included. Breakfast was unreal, and included! You could think up most anything western or asian and they had it or would cook it. Any juice or smoothy you could think of, they would find the fruit or veg and juice it right there for you... I'm not a food conesoir by any means and would never picture myself spending more than $10-20 on a meal, but Singapore and Malaysia have to be some of the most awesome food overall on the planet...

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:16 pm

nemo wrote:$10-$20 bar food with friends is much better spent money.

I would argue that, its all about perception.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Vividia » Wed May 09, 2018 9:43 pm

Two years ago went to Chicago to see Adele in concert at the United Center. It was one of those "experience of a lifetime" things. We were in the 5th row in VIP seats complete with goodie bag. Stayed at the Langham on the river in a suite so we had room to gather and relax with a cocktail or six.

While in Chicago we went to Maple and Ash on the north side for dinner. My measure of a restaurant is how well they do a bone-in filet. The flavor is so different from a regular filet mignon, and i love one prepared properly. I had mine with crab oscar. Nom nom nom. Dinner tab for 4 was a little over $1,000. For a bucket list weekend, money well spent making a wonderful memory.

I don't like going to any part of Illinois, but if you ever do have to visit that wicked land of Chicago, i highly recommend Maple and Ash :)
Last edited by Vividia on Sat May 12, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Jff24Gordn
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jff24Gordn » Thu May 10, 2018 7:02 am

I went to LeMoo with my wife for valentines this year. I had the $248 10oz Wagyu filet, salad, potato and water. My wife had a normal steak, green beans, salad and we split an appetizer. Totaled $400 + tip.

Most expensive was Texas Roadhouse in Muncie in 2003. We got rained out of the drag strip so a group of 30 of us went to the roadhouse to drink all day. My table of 4 people had a $1200 bill. I was still drunk the next afternoon.

plumber_bob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by plumber_bob » Thu May 10, 2018 9:55 am

The fanciest I get is a few times a year the three of us go out to either a Texas Roadhouse or Red Lobster type places. For 3 it usually runs around $130 before tip. But that's about the only time you catch me eating out.

pb
"One Man With Courage is a Majority"

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Thu May 10, 2018 11:36 am

This thread has made me hungry. Just made reservations at Eddie Merlot's for Saturday.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:01 pm

Rem700 wrote:

Some folks like expensive automatic watches that keep time less accurately than a $12 Timex quartz.

Some folks spend thousands on add-ons for their vehicle that do nothing to enhance its ability to take you from point A to point B.

Some folks like to buy guns that will only fulfill their intended purpose if the zombie apocalypse happens.

Etc. Etc.

It's only money, and it's all cool. As long as you're not in debt, keep a roof over your family's head and food on the table you're doing it right.
This right here. But at the same time i would never spend the $150 or whatever it is on 1 Wagyu Beef steak because thats just fucking stupid. No way in hell any piece of meat is worth that
Word

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:07 pm

Frailer wrote:This thread has made me hungry. Just made reservations at Eddie Merlot's for Saturday.
Enjoy sucker hahahaha I'll tell em your coming.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:12 pm

Etc. Etc.

I absolutely can see where you are trying to go and could appreciate that avenue but the examples didn't do it for me. They are tangible goods that you can not only resell but enjoy everyday and a meal is just the same cow that costco cut up and is eaten for a huge markup. This thread wasn't to say what people should do with their money, it was just inquisitive about how much people would spend for a meal and it has been mind blowing. It wouldn't be me if I didn't say something smartass in the post as that is meant to be sarcastic. I am happy people can spend a Mercedes Benz car note on shrimp and beans.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:15 pm

shaggy1392 wrote:The wife and ate at Eddie Merlot on NYE and spent around $350. The most expensive meal we have ever had was in Grand Cayman and was about $700 pre tip for 4 people.
I am impressed that the servers keep a straight face when they bring people $39 mac and cheese as a side, that's the impressive part.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:16 pm

ChickenLady wrote:Joe and I spent 300 at Jeff ruby's. It was a wonderful date. I made it worth his while

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
He would have got the same show if he took you to Sonic's so don't try to tell stories girl.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Frailer wrote:
Da

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Niceguy wrote:
Frailer wrote:
I want to go there too! haha Malaysia was CRAZY how cheap things were. I stayed in a hotel that would have probably been $750-1000 a night here for $98 a night there. And everything was included. Breakfast was unreal, and included! You could think up most anything western or asian and they had it or would cook it. Any juice or smoothy you could think of, they would find the fruit or veg and juice it right there for you... I'm not a food conesoir by any means and would never picture myself spending more than $10-20 on a meal, but Singapore and Malaysia have to be some of the most awesome food overall on the planet...
Tooyoungfayou.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:19 pm

Jff24Gordn wrote:I went to LeMoo with my wife for valentines this year. I had the $248 10oz Wagyu filet, salad, potato and water. My wife had a normal steak, green beans, salad and we split an appetizer. Totaled $400 + tip.

Most expensive was Texas Roadhouse in Muncie in 2003. We got rained out of the drag strip so a group of 30 of us went to the roadhouse to drink all day. My table of 4 people had a $1200 bill. I was still drunk the next afternoon.
It was $400 with tio, bro it better have not been a so called "normal steak" though it is.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:43 pm

jackalo626 wrote:

Etc. Etc.

I absolutely can see where you are trying to go and could appreciate that avenue but the examples didn't do it for me. They are tangible goods that you can not only resell but enjoy everyday and a meal is just the same cow that costco cut up and is eaten for a huge markup. This thread wasn't to say what people should do with their money, it was just inquisitive about how much people would spend for a meal and it has been mind blowing. It wouldn't be me if I didn't say something smartass in the post as that is meant to be sarcastic. I am happy people can spend a Mercedes Benz car note on shrimp and beans.

How about the Hooker analogy then...wait, there may be something that you get that keeps on giving.

or you could store under a house like some po pos

Return to “Everything Else”