Men's Suits

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
Tomahawk
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Men's Suits

Post by Tomahawk » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:42 pm

Who do you all recommend? I'll be going for corporate interviews in the next few months.

I'm looking for a tailor who does custom made suits. I'm seeing they range at $750-$1k starting which seems reasonable. I'm half tempted to shell out for custom, and i'm half tempted to keep the suit I have on hand and use it for interviews.

Google/Yelp isn't too much help, they either don't have websites, people don't review them, or the people who review them have only had negative experience. It doesn't provide a good picture, thought I'd post on here since I know some of you have suits.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Men's Suits

Post by Rem700 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:53 pm

Jos A Banks

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:58 pm

I considered Jos A Bank, but their suits are cheap. I know $$ doesn't always equal quality, but i'm worried in their case it is.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Marcus » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:59 pm

If you do find someone that does good work resonably, let us know.
I personally have had good experiences with DXL, but thats not going to help you.

I usually have to make slight alterations to anything I buy, but nothing my fiancé or my mom can't handle.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:11 pm

Marcus wrote:If you do find someone that does good work resonably, let us know.
I personally have had good experiences with DXL, but thats not going to help you.

I usually have to make slight alterations to anything I buy, but nothing my fiancé or my mom can't handle.
Well I tend to get them at Macy's. Have had good fit and good luck with alterations. Be sure to wear excellent shoes and have them shined. Yes that is one of the things both a man and woman interviewer will look at. I know from both sides of the coin and there is good documentation on that fact. If you show up with a beautiful suit and wearing some crappy shoes, you probably blew it.

I haven't bought a suit from Nordstroms but have gotten other stuff there, high quality and have expert alterations as well. YOu would have to drive to Nashville for that though.

jrbenny

Post by jrbenny » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:28 pm

Dave1965 wrote:
Marcus wrote:If you do find someone that does good work resonably, let us know.

Well I tend to get them at Macy's. Have had good fit and good luck with alterations. Be sure to wear excellent shoes and have them shined. Yes that is one of the things both a man and woman interviewer will look at. I know from both sides of the coin and there is good documentation on that fact. If you show up with a beautiful suit and wearing some crappy shoes, you probably blew it.

I haven't bought a suit from Nordstroms but have gotten other stuff there, high quality and have expert alterations as well. YOu would have to drive to Nashville for that though.
Just saw a Macy's ad. Suit sale. 60% off.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

costellow
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time

Post by costellow » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:39 am

If you are in Bowling Green I would go to FHG clothiers. http://www.fhgclothiers.com We went to school together. He's awesome, local, and I'll be picking up a few custom suits from him after I start my new job in January.
325MOUTguru wrote:In Soviet Russia instructor shoots you.
Tecumseh wrote:When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:15 am

If you want a local (Louisville) clothier who does custom work and has decades of experience, go see Salvatore DiGiovanni @ DiGiovanni Brothers tailors in Lyndon. His shop is right across the parking lot from Chase Bank on LaGrange Rd, near Lyndon Ln. Salvatore owns the entire corner property and has run his tailor shop there for over 40 years. I have a couple of suits that he and his brother (God rest his soul) made for me, & have been able to keep me looking good in them even through losing over 150 lbs.

He is not cheap, but damned certainly worth every penny you spend with him. He and his wife, Tanya are very good family friends of ours, Tanya being Mrs. W's best friend for decades. If you decide to try him out, PM me and I'll arrange an intro that might save you some money.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:36 am

costellow wrote:If you are in Bowling Green I would go to FHG clothiers. http://www.fhgclothiers.com We went to school together. He's awesome, local, and I'll be picking up a few custom suits from him after I start my new job in January.
I do like that he actually has a website at a minimum unlike the majority of tailors here in louisville.
Wyldman wrote:If you want a local (Louisville) clothier who does custom work and has decades of experience, go see Salvatore DiGiovanni @ DiGiovanni Brothers tailors in Lyndon. His shop is right across the parking lot from Chase Bank on LaGrange Rd, near Lyndon Ln. Salvatore owns the entire corner property and has run his tailor shop there for over 40 years. I have a couple of suits that he and his brother (God rest his soul) made for me, & have been able to keep me looking good in them even through losing over 150 lbs.

He is not cheap, but damned certainly worth every penny you spend with him. He and his wife, Tanya are very good family friends of ours, Tanya being Mrs. W's best friend for decades. If you decide to try him out, PM me and I'll arrange an intro that might save you some money.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.
I do like the sound of a digiovanni making my self. If I say it fast enough people might think I said armani. I may be sending you a pm. I was looking for a local tailor, now the question is a suit or a gun this month.

Next
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Next » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:32 am

Rem700 wrote:Jos A Banks

I buy most of my clothes from Jos A Banks. Wait for a sale to buy from them. You want the Traveler Dress Shirts you can buy them for $33.33 each (Buy 1 get 2 free). These shirts can be tossed in a suit case and then hang them up in the bathroom with shower on HOT for 5-7 minutes and they will looked like they were dry cleaned.

The suits are nice because they use very good material and line the pants down to you knee so they wear really well. Alterations can be pricey with them though. Jos A Banks suit will wear better than anything at JC Penny or Sears Etc. I have one suit that is over 8 years old and still looks great. Not sure what makes you think they are cheap. I have bought 8 suits from them over the years and have not found anything better for the money.

Jos A Banks also has really nice shoes with rubber bottom for $99 and they wear very well.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:01 am

costellow wrote:If you are in Bowling Green I would go to FHG clothiers. http://www.fhgclothiers.com We went to school together. He's awesome, local, and I'll be picking up a few custom suits from him after I start my new job in January.

So these guys take the measurements and have them made overseas somewhere, shipped in, and then they can alter? Is that how I read that?

Geno
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Geno » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:23 pm

I have 2 suits. From Dillard's. I try to avoid suits as much as I can. Weddings, funerals, occasionally date nights. Good luck with your interviews.
I know not what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Neither Welfare nor political office were intended to be a career path!

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:44 am

Dave1965 wrote:I haven't bought a suit from Nordstroms but have gotten other stuff there, high quality and have expert alterations as well. YOu would have to drive to Nashville for that though.
There is a Nordstroms in Cincinnati that should be closer.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:17 am

Nordstroms is having 50% off sale on lots of suit stuff right now. To me is higher end like Hugo Boss, from 800 to 400 from the preliminary stuff I saw. (also noticed some VERSACE, CANALI, and ARMANI on there, from from 750 to 2000 right now). I would say that is high end.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:31 am

Hmm. Ugh. I'll take some.coffee and go in today. I'm going to steal the 25 gift card I gave to my friend too.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:17 pm

Dilliards has 50% off on new years day at St Mathews mall. Some are 50% off the already 30%.

jrbenny

Post by jrbenny » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:41 pm

Tomahawk wrote:Dilliards has 50% off on new years day at St Mathews mall. Some are 50% off the already 30%.
I need a new suit. Think I'll take a look there.

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:11 pm

Last professional interview I did was in swimming trunks and no shirt.

I got the job though.
:llama:

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:13 pm

jrbenny wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:Dilliards has 50% off on new years day at St Mathews mall. Some are 50% off the already 30%.
I need a new suit. Think I'll take a look there.

Yup. It's only.on new years. Also whoever wrote nordstrom, where is this nordstrom? Only one I found was the rack, and if brooks brothers outsources their outlet stores, then I wouldn't put it past the rack to do the same and I'm looking to avoid that.

Also I'm usually against department stores as I usually associate them with high prices but man there were some.good deals. It may be 50% off a lot of clothing items on new years. A bunch of "mens" gifts are also on sale. 50% off
Mike wrote:Last professional interview I did was in swimming trunks and no shirt.

I got the job though.
Was there a couch and a video camera or something? Jk

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:22 pm

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/stores

Nordstrom Kenwood Towne Centre
2692 Madison Road, Cincinnati, OH 45208
Store #243

Nordstrom The Mall at Green Hills
2130 Abbott Martin Road, Nashville, TN 37215
Store #759
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:47 pm

Nordstrom is usually high end stuff, Nashville and Cincinnati are the two closest I guess. I only have been to the one in Nashville. You can get on the Nordstrom website and find what you want and then see what they have in the store on there as well before making the trip. Some suits only 30% off but if you are a trim fit (I am not) seems like the ideal place if you want a Versace. They have classic fit but it seems hit or miss right now because of the season and them trying to get rid of inventory. Free alteration of pants cuffs or jacket sleeves in the store. I get my stuff mailed to me if I go in and get it.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:48 pm

I am going to order some Cole Haan shoes (one of my favorites) since they are deeply discounted. Had a nice pair I wore for years and even had re-soled. Pretty good price at under $100.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:53 pm

I have doc martins. 5 years maybe 6 now. The inside is all torn up, part of it my dog. Does anyone fix the interior?

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:15 pm

I go to a shoe repair place in frankfort, not sure whats there in Louisvlle

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:10 pm

I know there is a shoe repair place in crestwood on 146. Not sure on the quality of work and also I think a place called cavalier on shelbyville rd near hurstbourne. Again not sure on quality of work.

Return to “Everything Else”