Battery substitute?

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Battery substitute?

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:02 pm

Tired of reading all different and confusing facts etc so I figured I'd ask my local flashlight junkies. The recent streamlight clearance got me thinking but I do not want another cr123 battery flashlight. I believe the batteries are obsenely expensive and very short lasting for today's technology honestly. I want to know if all lights that are cr123 lights will take 18650 rechargeables? I read the voltage is a bit lower but the flashlight regulates it to constant output but it's capacity lets it last a lot longer. Please explain your thoughts and opinions so I can make an informed decision with my next light.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Battery substitute?

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:06 pm

I want to know what other light brands you trust to work when needed, I have all my bases covered mainly but want a newer light. I want it to be the defensive size roughly and have at least 2-3 modes for low, med, high as example. It is not a defensive flashlight per say and will likely be car carried or in bag on trips or camping etc.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:48 pm

I'd like to know a little more as well
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by 86 slo-vo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:13 pm

I was running all stream light flashlights and CR123's for a couple years, I can't even begin to tell you how many batteries I went through. Sometimes a set a day.

I have since switched my EDC to a Felix UC35 18650 light.

Anything that takes CR123's now gets used very rarely. With the UC35 I either just pop in a topped off 18650 or plug it up every other night for a full charge. Best purchase I've made in a while.

Streamlight, sure fire etc will not fit 18650's. They want you to buy thier battery's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marcus wrote:KAC, marrying above their league since 2012.

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:15 pm

I will soon be swapping my streamlight HL540 headlamp to a fenix one. Had to use it all day at work last week and went through 4 cr123's in a day.

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:22 pm

I have went to streamlight USB charging lights. My main one that I now carry on my belt at work is a Streamlight Pro Tac HL. It's a bright ass light and can also use CR123 batteries if I wanted. Not that I ever will as it's simple to recharge. I can use my computer at work and recharge it while working.

When I bought a few new streamlights I also bought the Stylus Pro USB rechargeable. It's about the size of a thick pen and is quickly becoming my favorite all around light due to it's small size and ease of recharging. It's only 70 lumens but it's perfect for general use.

Also, streamlight stands behind their products and I have an Ultrastinger that is about 13 years old still kicking. It's been used countless hours a week and hit the pavement plenty of times, but still works great.
:llama:

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:24 pm

Oh and FUCK Surefire. They are overpriced for their technology and have been the only few flashlights I have had fail on me when needed most.

Fenix is another brand I like a lot.
:llama:

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:58 pm

http://precision.works/

This guy is my flashlight guru go-to. Send him any tough battery/flashlight questions. He also offers boring services so your 123 lights can run both 18650's and 123's.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:33 pm

I never have cared for the 123 batteries... for many reasons... most you've touched on. My biggest reason is, I always have AA or AAAs laying around... if not, they are easily acquired.

I'll spare a long run down.

But, this Coastal HP7 fits exactly what you described, with one exception... it's doesn't strobe ..but it does have an adjustable beam. Which IMO is much better for the uses you are talking about. I carry this everyday in my truck. It's way easier on batteries (runs on 4 AAA) than most any light I have. It's very solid, bright, dependable and moderately priced. I believe I paid about $60.

I've owned this one for a while now and I'll be purchasing other sizes offered by them in the near future. I'm due for a small pocket light to replace my streamlight...it's worked well for years big pocket carry (and still works) but the on/off button is becoming a little finicky....
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:08 pm

I just ordered the Fenix UC35 because i was tired of buying CR123 batteries. They are way too expensive and dont last very long with general use. I dont have it yet but am really looking forward to it.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:45 pm

I like AA lights but I must say the batteries in my surefire 6px seem to last a long time. I admittedly don't use it as much because I can't find an easy way to carry it.

Sent from an unknown location where I'm hoarding cookies

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by rustynuts » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:59 pm

KYgundude wrote:I like AA lights but I must say the batteries in my surefire 6px seem to last a long time. I admittedly don't use it as much because I can't find an easy way to carry it.

I use mine every night and wear it on my belt in a baton holster.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:01 pm

rustynuts wrote:
KYgundude wrote:I like AA lights but I must say the batteries in my surefire 6px seem to last a long time. I admittedly don't use it as much because I can't find an easy way to carry it.

I use mine every night and wear it on my belt in a baton holster.
Even holster I tried has the light too high and the strike bezel dug into my side

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by rustynuts » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:06 pm

This one is actually a bit too tall, but the light fits snug enough that it doesn't go all the way down.

I don't have a problem with battery life either. Or maybe my expectations are lower. I change batteries about once a month, and use the light several times a night.

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by rustynuts » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:06 pm

Where the hell did my picture go?

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by rustynuts » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:09 pm

Try again....
Attachments
2015-08-31 15.02.42.jpg

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:11 pm

Rem700 wrote:I just ordered the Fenix UC35 because i was tired of buying CR123 batteries. They are way too expensive and dont last very long with general use. I dont have it yet but am really looking forward to it.
Absolutely love mine, it's a little big but I don't even notice it.

I use mine ALOT.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:29 pm

Not too worried about the size as I won't carry it daily. No real use for a daily flashlight in my line of work. But for around the house and at night it will be used a lot.

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:40 pm

There is some overlap on 18650s and 2x 123 lights. You would just have to make sure the circuitry in the particular light you are looking at can handle the li ion amperage without damage.

Some lights are bored big enough for the 18mm...some are too small. The 123 is not as wide.

Buying a li ion light that can use backup 123 is a case by case basis also...the circuit can over draw a 123 and make it burst. Sounds like mikes streamlight is downward compatable for example.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:09 pm

It's way too big for a carry light. I carry a pelican 1920 2aaa light daily and is plenty of light. Of course this is my opinion and what suits me. I carry big knives relatively everyday and kind of big pistols so I am not a "light" carrier.just don't want another thing in a holster for daily carry since a gun and a spare mag are usually a hefty combo already.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:44 pm

jackalo626 wrote:

It's way too big for a carry light. I carry a pelican 1920 2aaa light daily and is plenty of light. Of course this is my opinion and what suits me. I carry big knives relatively everyday and kind of big pistols so I am not a "light" carrier.just don't want another thing in a holster for daily carry since a gun and a spare mag are usually a hefty combo already.
I've had a Pelican 1910(1xAAA) for a couple years. AWESOME light. I switch between that and a 5.11 Tactical ATAC PLx 2AAA. Another masterpiece.

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:24 am

I havnt even been carrying a light..my phone has a "torch" widget that runs the flash on constant. Bet its 50-60 lumens

Return to “Everything Else”