What Chainsaw to buy?

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

What Chainsaw to buy?

Post by Rem700 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:01 pm

Alright so my Husquavarna chainsaw bit the dust. Needs new piston, rings, etc to get it back to working order. So instead of that i am going to buy a new one. It will get a workout with all the trees i have that will be coming down and more that will need downed in the future. So what would you all recommend? Brand and model if possible? I don't want to spend a fortune but i do want something that will be a reliable work horse.

What say you KAC?

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Re: What Chainsaw to buy?

Post by Gunsmokin » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:13 pm

Red max or Stihl
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:19 pm

thinking this one would fit the bill. 18" bar

https://beardsoutdoorpowerequipment.sti ... aws/ms251/

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by Toddstang » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:42 pm

My Sthil Farm Boss is now over 3 years old and has cut well over 30 trees, trunk to top, and is still going strong.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Whootsinator » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:38 pm

Stihl Farm Boss usually gets a lot of praise in chainsaw talk.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:15 pm

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:32 pm

Rem700 wrote:thinking this one would fit the bill. 18" bar

https://beardsoutdoorpowerequipment.sti ... aws/ms251/

I work in the treework/logging industry for most of my life, here are my tips.

Dont buy anything but a pro grade saw, every good name brand will have a line of lesser saws that are not as durable. They target homeowners and weekend warriors , sure they are decent saws , but not the saws that built the companies reputation. A good pro saw will last 20+ years provided you take care of it as a pro would. The cost difference is often just a few bucks but the service life is 3-5 times longer if not more.

Avoid any saw that has a single nut holding the bar on, in the one you posted you can see a single nut.

Its the little things you dont really notice, the Stihl saws that Beards shows online are all home owner specials, they got plastic handles that are integrated in the frame rather cheap construction with a good quality name slapped on the side........Fuck that noise!

Farm and ranch saws tend to be a bit better but are still on the cheaper side, this is the bare minimum ill go they have some of the durability features but the same cheaper power plants, they have stupid features like primer bulbs that in 2 years will be bad and need to be replaced, they tend to be heavy and bulky , and that dose not sound that bad until you have a bunch of work to do with them. They are project saws for the guy who cuts on some fencepost , or has it in the back of his side by side to cut brush from his tree stand or a tree fallen across his trail.

I dont care what name or number they give the saw, look for something in the 50cc to 75cc range

Make sure you can sharpen a saw, and keep the motherfucker sharp!!!! So many people bring me there saw saying it dont work right and most of the time I can sharpen it, clean the filter and its cutting great again. Keep it out of the dirt, but its going to happen so make sure you can sharpen it!

Here is a link to baileys pro saws, they carry lesser saws but these are the top quality ones they carry
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaws/ ... Chainsaws/

remember PRO grade saws!

richief
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by richief » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:46 pm

I got a 032av saw now, but My next saw will prob be a Husqvarna 372xp

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Mexican Kerry » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:49 am

SOL is right, avoid anything that isn't a pro grade saw. Not much more money but much more saw. I have two mid size Huskys right now, a few year old 570 with a 24" bar (might be a bit long for the saw but with a longer bar I don't have to reach as far) and I bought a 562 XP last year because it was too good a deal to pass up. Actually I got a really good price from a supplier for my brother and then he backed out so I was stuck with it. Both are walking the line between ranch/hobby and pro saws.

Not the best saws in the world but since I live in the city and you could count all my trees on one hand they will last me a lifetime. The 562 is a little lighter than the 570 but it keeps up. I mostly use them when a buddy calls me up to knock a tree down cause he knows I have a saw, or when I need to help the old man clear his fence line of deadfalls after a winter.

I'm not in the forestry industry now but I was back in the mid 90's. All we used were Huskys so I'm kinda biased to that brand.

But a well maintained chain is key no matter what brand you choose. A crap electric Home Depot saw with a sharp chain will outcut the best saw if its not taken care of.

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:48 am

Saw these at the power equip place by mewhile i was looking at leaf blowers...120 cc! Soooo pimp.

https://beardsoutdoorpowerequipment.sti ... aws/ms880/

Heres the pro saws section of your link...there are some much more reasonably priced options

https://beardsoutdoorpowerequipment.sti ... onal-saws/

Jff24Gordn
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jff24Gordn » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:31 pm

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:46 pm

Chainsaws are like hunting rifles. Do you need one for varmints or need one for a grizzly?
Maintenance pays off. Clean after each use, check the chain, bar and tension and keep the chain lube full. My farm boss may not be a pro series but I'm not cutting trees every day of the year.

Return to “Everything Else”