Help me pick my gift to myself

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 14 times

Help me pick my gift to myself

Post by Toecutter1978 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:08 am

So the lady has finally worn me down and we picked a date to finalize the official business transaction between her and myself(she calls it marriage). Well, we are picking out something we want the other to buy as a gift to the other. Her's she has not said yet, and mine, I want a watch. So far I have picked out is a Casio PRW6000Y-1APRO TREK. I really want a watch that can do it all, ABC and everything else if possible. Now, I do not want to get to much more over $500. Any watch folks on here that can help shed some light, I have always owned cheaper watches, I really enjoy my G-shock explorers, and this will be a major purchase for us, as I know her gift will be a car of something.

http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/P ... W6000Y-1A/

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: Help me pick my gift to myself

Post by Toddstang » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:14 am

My GShock is now 4 years old and hasn't missed a lick. I wear it every day at work and it's still going strong.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:40 am

Toddstang wrote:My GShock is now 4 years old and hasn't missed a lick. I wear it every day at work and it's still going strong.
Yep, great watches. Hell I still have the one I wore while deployed, well the youngest boy is wearing it. I want something that does more than a Gshock can do. Barometer, altimeter, compass, solar powered, atomic clock sync, and the list goes on.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by PDM » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:26 am

If you want a nice watch, Casio is the best bang for the buck, period.

Congratualtions!
Last edited by PDM on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

DDgunslinger
Been liked: 0

Post by DDgunslinger » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:29 am

Sunnto Core, it's my go to

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:54 am

I must have got a bad one with my GShock. No issues out of my Suunto

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Marcus » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:05 am

ssracer wrote:I must have got a bad one with my GShock. No issues out of my Suunto
It still likes to go into low battery mode
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:42 am

Marcus wrote:
ssracer wrote:I must have got a bad one with my GShock. No issues out of my Suunto
It still likes to go into low battery mode
no refunds, returns or exchanges :llama:

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Marcus » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:59 am

Yeah. I just let it sit a couple days in the light and it's good for a few more weeks.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:44 am

I have a G-shock in my room from about 15 years ago. It still works. I'm not a fan as it is too bulky for me but it is a good damn watch.
:llama:

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:54 am

Suunto is awesome. I've been wearing a Vector for 2.5 years now with the original battery. Replacement batteries are less than a dollar. It's been through a lot and never done anything but what it's supposed to. Try to get a Finnish model and not a Taiwanese model.

Suunto isn't fancy, though... If you want fancy or fancy-looking, you'll have to look elsewhere.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:00 pm

I have a tough solar gshock but no altimeter. I am at work but am a watch enthusiast also so I will try to give you some examples later tonight. I have no clue why that watch is $600!!!!! That is a lot of $ for the features.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:24 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:Sunnto Core, it's my go to
I saw one I really liked over at Shane. It was way out of my price range. Also, it did not run off solar power.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:28 pm

The solar power was the weak point on my gshock. I'm happy with a chap, user replaceable batter on the core

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:00 pm

Toecutter1978 wrote:
I saw one I really liked over at Shane. It was way out of my price range. Also, it did not run off solar power.
If your price limit is $500 there's no way a standard Suunto Core should break it. A Vector, the model I wear, can be had for $135 - $170 new.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:01 pm

Devon Tread 1 Steampunk. Stupid expensive.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:02 pm

Citizen Eco-Drive, the best watch I have ever had, by far.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:20 pm

Whootsinator wrote:
Toecutter1978 wrote:
If your price limit is $500 there's no way a standard Suunto Core should break it. A Vector, the model I wear, can be had for $135 - $170 new.
well...he was at Shane....lord knows what they price them at...lol

But no, a core should never be more than $300 and if you look around you can sometimes find them closer to $200.

But again...it's not a fancy watch, so if you are looking for something a little dressy than its probably not gonna fit the bill

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:35 pm

I would say that you are giving each other wedding gifts them it should be something memorable and that could be handed down to your children. My wife failed at this cause I don't remember what she got me. I got her a nice expensive strand of mikimoto pearls. Lol. A real pearl necklace. That's just my thoughts

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:35 pm

How about a seiko sumo dive watch? They make several variations. I have a few different models from seiko, a citizen and even a fossil. They are all great. I just prefer my sumo.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:55 pm

1fastmach1 wrote:How about a seiko sumo dive watch? They make several variations. I have a few different models from seiko, a citizen and even a fossil. They are all great. I just prefer my sumo.
Fossil went way down hill from a while back. They don't use stainless steel cases and only use a stamped stainless case back so your sweat and oil from your skin will break down the finish and show what ever coated metal is beneath usually a gold color copper or zinc mix. I didn't have time tonight but I will find some this week.

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:06 pm

jackalo626 wrote:
1fastmach1 wrote:How about a seiko sumo dive watch? They make several variations. I have a few different models from seiko, a citizen and even a fossil. They are all great. I just prefer my sumo.
Fossil went way down hill from a while back. They don't use stainless steel cases and only use a stamped stainless case back so your sweat and oil from your skin will break down the finish and show what ever coated metal is beneath usually a gold color copper or zinc mix. I didn't have time tonight but I will find some this week.
That doesn't surprise me. My fossil is fairly old and I think pretty solid. It was my first nicer watch. I got it when I was a jr in high school. It's fairly heavy and still looks great. Jr year would have been 2000. Guess I've had it 15 years.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:08 pm

1fastmach1 wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
That doesn't surprise me. My fossil is fairly old and I think pretty solid. It was my first nicer watch. I got it when I was a jr in high school. It's fairly heavy and still looks great. Jr year would have been 2000. Guess I've had it 15 years.
Too close to home I did as well in hs around 95-96 got a fossil blue and it still works to this day but you can see the gold color coming through the edges of the case up close. I know too much about watches to ever buy one again though.

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:28 pm

jackalo626 wrote:
1fastmach1 wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
Too close to home I did as well in hs around 95-96 got a fossil blue and it still works to this day but you can see the gold color coming through the edges of the case up close. I know too much about watches to ever buy one again though.
Ahh that's a bummer. Since you know "too much" about watches, what do you wear and like?

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:36 pm

1fastmach1 wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
1fastmach1 wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
Ahh that's a bummer. Since you know "too much" about watches, what do you wear and like?
There's digital, quartz, mechanical, automatic, kinetic, etc. This is more diverse althan cars or guns I would say. Digital I have tough solar g shock I never had a problem with last few years. Like my solar citizen eco drive also. I have a Swiss Tissot made in house but it's quartz and not auto (price difference was more than double and it was a gift from wife. Quartz and digital are king of accuracy, mechanical you have to wind for power, auto you can wind but charge with your movement as well but are less accurate. Accuracy is within a few seconds a month give or take. Check out a couple youtube videos for more details if interested but it will get expensive if you like it unfortunately lol.

Return to “Everything Else”