Spice recall

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Spice recall

Post by WLJ » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:59 am

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/02/1 ... latestnews
If you have friends or family with food allergies (as I do), this may be the most important post you share all week: There is a giant, ongoing recall of cumin and products containing the spice due to undeclared peanut proteins. What’s unusual is this recall has been building since December, with more and more foods (from taco kits and Cajun seasoning mix to beef and chicken) added and major retailers including Target, Walmart, and Whole Foods yanking products off their shelves.

Thankfully, no deaths have been reported, which is especially lucky considering that peanuts are one of the foods most likely to trigger a fatal anaphylactic reaction, according to Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE). (The others are tree nuts and crustacean shellfish.)

RELATED: 20 Things You Should Throw Away for Better Health

The exact danger posed by a contaminated food “depends on the ingested quantity and the degree of sensitivity,” explains Dr. Sami Bahna, a spokesperson for the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. “The reaction can vary from minimal rash to chest wheezing to airway obstruction, or anaphylactic shock. Some patients need to have an epinephrine auto-injector for immediate use.” (My second-grader, Gus, is both peanut- and tree nut-allergic and must have his EpiPen with him at all times.)

To stay safe, first check your kitchen (including the fridge and freezer) and dump not only the recalled foods but any others that clearly contain cumin. Here’s where it gets tricky. You can’t always tell which spices are in that can of soup or frozen chicken patty, because manufacturers aren’t required by law to specify exact spices—they are allowed to group them under “spices.” How can that be?

“Competition among food manufacturers requires some secrecy about the ingredients or recipes,” Bahna said. “It took many years to get legislation to require the food industry to list on labels the 8 major food allergens.”

RELATED: 25 Ways to Allergy-Proof Your Home

Allergic Living points out that cumin is likely to be in many Tex-Mex and Indian foods, making them suspect. (As those of us whose kids have food allergies know, we’re always in “better safe than sorry” mode.) Also key: Sign up for USDA food allergy alerts so you’ll be first to hear if new products are pulled.

The welcome news, according to Bahna, is that these scares may be a little less scary in the not-too-distant future: “Research studies are going on for desensitization. In a few years, we expect the development of effective, safe protocols for building tolerance—at least against accidental exposure in the highly sensitive.” Here’s hoping.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Spice recall

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:21 am

Peanut allergy is a human created deficiency. We weren't dropping like flies during our grandparents generation and school lunches were full of food that had it or in contact with it. We are so frail now it sickens me.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Frailer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:35 am

Darwin. Just sayin.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:42 am

jackalo626 wrote:Peanut allergy is a human created deficiency. We weren't dropping like flies during our grandparents generation and school lunches were full of food that had it or in contact with it. We are so frail now it sickens me.
Makes me wonder sometimes, have we or the peanuts changed or both? Or maybe did it kill people in the past but no one had a clue why they dropped dead back then. In other words I don't know.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:49 am

WLJ wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:Peanut allergy is a human created deficiency. We weren't dropping like flies during our grandparents generation and school lunches were full of food that had it or in contact with it. We are so frail now it sickens me.
Makes me wonder sometimes, have we or the peanuts changed or both? Or maybe did it kill people in the past but no one had a clue why they dropped dead back then. In other words I don't know.
If the peanuts changed then we would have adjusted to it or all of us sick. We are just vaginas now.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:51 am

jackalo626 wrote:
WLJ wrote:
If the peanuts changed then we would have adjusted to it or all of us sick. We are just vaginas now.
Amen

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:54 am

10 years ago you rarely if ever heard of peanut or gluten allergies

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:41 pm

Imagine a gay guy with nut allergies. That would be an oxymoron.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:43 pm

Toddstang wrote:Imagine a gay guy with nut allergies. That would be an oxymoron.
Maybe that's why many of them cut them off.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:31 pm

Jimmy Carter's genetically altered nuts are working.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by rustynuts » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:15 pm

jackalo626 wrote:We are just vaginas now.
Quote of the day.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:41 pm

SeymourSkinner wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
WLJ wrote:
Tell that to the 7 yr old in anaphlaphetic shock. Seen it. Not fun.
I dont think he is blaming the kid.....more blaming society for all the additives, hormones, etc they have packed into our "food" for the last century. After many generations of this and using peanut oil for everything etc it could be the cause of why these allergies developed in the first place.

I could be wrong, but that's how i interpreted it.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:49 pm

My opinion--and it's just opinion--is that the rise in peanut allergies is at least partially the result of telling pregnant women to avoid peanuts and mothers to avoid giving peanut products to very young infants a decade or two ago.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:49 pm

SeymourSkinner wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
WLJ wrote:
Your post is not correct to what I was trying to say. I was saying that if things evolved then we as a whole would have evolved to overcome it or we would as a whole get sick. I understand it is real and never questioned that, I am saying it is human induced from what we have done to food and not evolution of a nut. That should clear it up more.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:04 pm

Frailer wrote:My opinion--and it's just opinion--is that the rise in peanut allergies is at least partially the result of telling pregnant women to avoid peanuts and mothers to avoid giving peanut products to very young infants a decade or two ago.
That's my opinion also. We are homogenized, pasturized, sterilized, preserved, steroided, chemically enhanced to death. Our food is no longer food, it's a science experiment.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:00 pm

SeymourSkinner wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
SeymourSkinner wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
WLJ wrote:
Your post is not correct to what I was trying to say. I was saying that if things evolved then we as a whole would have evolved to overcome it or we would as a whole get sick. I understand it is real and never questioned that, I am saying it is human induced from what we have done to food and not evolution of a nut. That should clear it up more.
That does clear it up. Gracias.
Word

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:01 pm

rustynuts wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:We are just vaginas now.
Quote of the day.
Write that down

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:07 am

Niceguy wrote:
Frailer wrote:My opinion--and it's just opinion--is that the rise in peanut allergies is at least partially the result of telling pregnant women to avoid peanuts and mothers to avoid giving peanut products to very young infants a decade or two ago.
That's my opinion also. We are homogenized, pasturized, sterilized, preserved, steroided, chemically enhanced to death. Our food is no longer food, it's a science experiment.
I do wonder about that myself with the peanut thing. I ate just about the world while preggo and my kiddo has no allergies to any food.

Pasteurization is the GOOD thing. Homogonization is only around to make the milk uniform. Food is not exactly chemically enhanced to death and preservatives are not exactly the evil in the food world. We need as a society food that is going to be shelf stable since most of our food travels and we do not have the resources available to keep all fresh food all the time.
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:14 am

Just throwing out words and realize ALL of them aren't necessarily bad. Don't you think food in its natural state is better for us? There's no way it can be a good thing when cows look like juiced up bodybuilders, chicken breast the size of large turkeys, bananas and other fruits 4 or more times their normal sizes, and vegetables that grow 4 times their normal growth rate.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:45 am

Niceguy wrote:Just throwing out words and realize ALL of them aren't necessarily bad. Don't you think food in its natural state is better for us? There's no way it can be a good thing when cows look like juiced up bodybuilders, chicken breast the size of large turkeys, bananas and other fruits 4 or more times their normal sizes, and vegetables that grow 4 times their normal growth rate.
Cows generally don't look like body builders as a whole. The meat cows on our farm for example, are bred to look they way they do, but they look healthy not ...................... beefy lol Dairy cattle usually look skinny due to us sucking their souls out through their udders.

Chicken breasts are bred to be that big that fast. Nothing extra is given to them, I've raised them for years now, they do not get anything extra. They are "created" by breeding a Cornish chicken with a Plymouth Rock, the Cornish already being considered a double breasted breed of sorts and then mixed with the big nature of the Plymouth rocks and boom, you have a chicken that grows to almost 6lbs dressed weight in 10 weeks. Nothing is done to them to get them that big, they are that way because their mommy and daddy had sex.

Vegetables and fruits can be coaxed to get bigger through breeding and feeding the correct nutrients for the span of the crop. I'm not saying that there isn't manipulation of the plants themselves, because there is in some cases, but most of the time its just selective breeding. Take corn for example, selective breeding got it that way.

I used to be on the other side of the spectrum and crazy about what I eat and dare I say it afraid of some foods. Once I started raising my own (chickens or vegetables) did I actually start to pay attention to what happens in the industry as a whole and why the things that plop down in front of us look like they do. I used to think chickens were fed steroids.. hahaha Then I raised my own 12lb monster meat chicken and realized that things aren't always what internet memes make them out to be.

This is like 20 million times longer than I intended. I do still avoid some things like BHT or TBHQ or brominated vegetable oil, but sometimes I can't depending on where I am or what I'm eating. I seriously don't think the food that we eat is killing us.. its the types of foods were eating and the quantity, not the food itself.
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:51 am

We definitely have a different opinion on this then. We should probably cuss eachother, maybe fight and then each start our on political agenda to take over the world with people that only share our own beliefs, be them right or wrong...:llama: haha

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:57 am

Niceguy wrote:We definitely have a different opinion on this then. We should probably cuss eachother, maybe fight and then each start our on political agenda to take over the world with people that only share our own beliefs, be them right or wrong...:llama: haha
OMG YOUR MOM IS SO FAT THAT SHE LEFT THE HOUSE IN HEELS AND CAME BACK IN FLIP FLOPS

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:58 am

hahaha

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:13 pm

Screw peanuts. They aren't even nuts! They're beans!!

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:34 am

KYgundude wrote:Screw peanuts. They aren't even nuts! They're beans!!
They are nuts for not calling themselves peabeans? They are unsure of themselves.

Return to “Everything Else”