Someone tried to break into my home tonight

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Someone tried to break into my home tonight

Post by ProCroation » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:50 am

I've been up posting on here and reddit for the last few hours now on my pc at the kitchen table. About 15 or 20 minutes ago, I heard someone walk past my kitchen window into my carport. My wife left the kitchen window cracked, with an extension cord running outside to the Christmas lights so it was easy to make out the swishing sound of pants or jacket sleeves. It got my attention enough to make me turn my head to look but they also stepped on some cardboard I had left laying out there by the trash can. I turned quick enough to see *something* go past but not able to identify clothing. I hesitated slightly because I wasn't sure I was seeing and hearing what I thought. No way...all the Christmas lights are still turned on, not to mention every light in the house is on. No way someone would be that stupid. I sat silently to assure myself I'm just hearing things.

Then the carport doorknob jiggles. This shit is really fucking happening. I immediately grabbed my XD40 off the table and I could hear them apply pressure to push the door as they turned the knob, while I was retreating to wake my wife. I stopped just inside the door frame of our bedroom, with my back to my room. Our door is right next to the grandkids door. From here, the house is lit up so I can see anything move. If I look to my right, I can see through the entire living room, to the front door and the kitchen doorway where I just came from. If I look left, I can see through the back bedroom to the rear door of the house. I could easily let off fire safely from this position and in either direction, which is aiming directly away from my wife and grandkids bedrooms (I've drilled this situation several times to be sure. I flip the light in the bedroom on and told my wife to get up, call the police and get in the kids bedroom immediately. As I'm repeatedly calling out her name to wake her, someone begins to twist the front door knob and push on it. I got louder and she got up quickly. The doorknob stopped immediately when I got loud.

The police were here (4 cruisers in total) within 4 or 5 minutes of her placing the call and checking out the area. They didn't find anyone around of course. I explained everything that had just happened and after 60 seconds of some flash lights, they were ready to move on. Said they'd "be in the area" if I have any more issues.

So...To the lucky bastard that decided against forcing their way into my home tonight, I say both fuck you and thank you. Fuck you for coming near my home and family and thank you for not forcing me into making a life altering decision tonight.
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

Whootsinator
Little Butthole
Been liked: 0

Re: Someone tried to break into my home tonight

Post by Whootsinator » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:14 am

I'm both happy everyone in your home is safe and sad a dirtbag wasn't removed from this world... most definitely more of the former than the latter, though. I'll take your safety over removing a street rat. I'd be keeping your doors locked from now on.

Everyone, stay alert and secure. If you identify a weakness, harden it. Complacency kills.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:30 am

My doors are always locked, even if we are home and my alarm is set for "Home" or a "Away" based on just that. The windows are my concern now. I've checked them all twice over. I am glad that I'm a night owl. It's always had its uses. This was one of the better perks to it.

She's pretty shook up and having trouble going back to sleep. Me, I'm just pissed off that some asshole even tried my home. Best lit house on the whole block. The audacity. The stupidity.

As a multi-generation, gun enthusiast, I don't ever look forward to the day that I may have use my gun as an instrument in deciding my life is more important than the next persons. I prefer it as only hobby, sport and hunting needs but if I have to, I will.
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:40 am

The view from where I sit, right now.
Attachments
20141201_033926.jpg

Dashammer

Post by Dashammer » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:49 am

This the season to be stealing, a wise man once told me. Damm someone tried to break into a house all lit up that crazy scary.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Marcus » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:02 am

Glad you and your family are ok.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by rustynuts » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:13 am

They probably assumed that you were out of town since the house was all lit up in the middle of the night. Most people would shut everything off before going to bed.

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by rustynuts » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:14 am

Glad you're okay though. You and your family.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:50 am

Wow, crazy they would hit it with so many lights on. Glad you and the family are ok.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:31 am

..this situation brings the question, Ok to shoot thru the door?

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:35 am

Glad you're ok! Smart thinking of where the kids and family were as well.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:45 am

Like mosquitoes to a bug zapper. Glad they left on their own accord
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:54 am

Dave1965 wrote:..this situation brings the question, Ok to shoot thru the door?
You'll get roasted alive by the courts for that however temping it may be, even if it is someone with criminal intent you need a clear case of your life was in danger to justify shooting someone.
Plus people have shot through the door and far too often it turned out to be some drunk at the wrong house.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:03 am

Dave1965 wrote:..this situation brings the question, Ok to shoot thru the door?
Joe B says its ok.....

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:29 am

Damn! Crazy ass hood out there in Shelbyville. Glad it didn't turn to shit. Would make for a horrible holiday.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:31 am

I think I would wait for the door to open if I had the time to set up in a place with cover. You're most likely going to jail if you shoot blindly through a door.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times

Post by Rem700 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:06 am

Gunsmokin wrote:I think I would wait for the door to open if I had the time to set up in a place with cover. You're most likely going to jail if you shoot blindly through a door.
Agreed. I think he handled it correctly. I know i would be tempted to head outside and confront the person but that would probably be a terrible idea.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:09 am

Glad your safe, disappointed you did not kill the POS.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:12 am

That sucks, but glad everyone is OK. I was woken up by my alarm a few weeks ago blaring that the back door sensor was tripped. I was out of bed with a pistol and flashlight in seconds. Fortunately it was a false alarm as the back door was still shut and dead bolted. Needless to say it took a while to get back to sleep that night.

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:13 pm

To avoid adding multiple posts I'm going to try and answer everyone in one post:

Dashammer, yeah I understand theft would go up at this time. It's to be expected but yes with all the lights on just blows my mind too.

Rustynuts#1 You make a valid point but we leave them on late every nights. I just turn them off before coming to bed unless it just gets crazy late. To someone from outside, it probably did look like we were out of town...but then again there were 3 cars in the driveway.

Rustynuts #2 Thanks brother.

Toecutter, I know right? Thanks brother.

Davie1965, me personally I would never shoot through a door. The CCW class I took, mentioned specifically not doing it. The guy that got charged with shooting that drunk girl at his door comes to mind. He opened one door and shot through the screen door but still...Castle Doctrine doesn't necessarily apply to someone outside your home unless for example, you see them trying to set your home on fire with you in it.

Toddstang, I've tried to be prepared for any situation and use the layout of my house to my advantage. I wouldn't say I'm really a prepper or anything but also don't want to be caught off guard. We have kids to protect now, which wasn't the case a year ago.

PDM...so am I. Having to shoot someone would really screw up the holiday season. I would assume lots of paperwork, questioning, visits with an attorney and investigators, which is time spent away from family but most of all emotionally and psychologically damaging on multiple levels. I'm glad they left but also, deep down I feel sorry for the unfortunate person who might fall victim to this person, assuming they were attempting to burglarize my home and not drunkenly mistaking my home for theirs.

SeymourSkinner, consider this...if it were not for my being awake so late, or my situational awareness, or my being in the right place at the right time, I would miss lots of the crazy things that happen around me. This time, it was brought to my doorstep even. I could have been in bed watching t.v. like usual and never would have known they were outside. Instead I was up late posting here and on reddit. They may have left on their own free will still and I wouldn't have known about it to be sharing it here. You're probably also reflecting back to when the crazy guy was threatening to kill people at work and almost breached the rear bay door. Again, if I didn't take that threat seriously enough to go up on the roof and have a look around and ended up spotting him making his way in...who knows what might have happened? Fortunately, if you really think about it, nothing crazy really happens in my life because I take things seriously and I've been able to spot trouble early on. In doing so, I feel I've prevented real craziness from entering my life. I'm thankful for that. So in short...my life isn't really crazy, I just know how to spot crazy and I almost always share it with you guys. Haha.

WLJ I considered all that and you're right, which is why I chose to cover my home from the bedroom doorway. I would prefer that if I had to shoot, I have as much distance between me and whoever and that they actually entered my home (which shows me how far they're willing to go).

Gunsmokin #1, Shelbyville is going to shit. We've had more and more shootings around here the last few years. Shooting at Speedway gas station while the fair was in town. Police had to shoot that teenager who broke into his grandmothers house (which the granny defended in the news and he "didn't do nothing wrong" of course), State Police had to shoot and kill a trespasser with an EPO against him, in Shelbyville just a few weeks ago. The list is longer but these are the most current and relevant ones I can remember. I too am glad this didn't go any further. Off subject, how did you like the food at Bungalow Joes?

Gunsmokin #2 see also my reply in agreement with WLJ

Rem700, in the past when I've heard things before outside and my dogs go crazy, I've put myself out there like that. In reflection I've discovered that I'm not helping the situation. I'm unlocking my home, I'm putting myself outside in the dark at a disadvantage and then from a legal perspective, if I shoot someone, I have a longer road to proving just how endangered my life was. It's always been tempting but now with the kids around I have to think of what's best for my family in the long run, not just for the moment of wonky noises outside.

Son of Liberty, I'm glad we are okay too. Your post made me stop and think about the next person that might fall victim to this person, if they truly were out there with the intent to break in, not just drunk and confused where their home is. I hope that if they do pull that shit again, that the next home is armed as well.

ssracer, it was difficult to go to sleep last night, that's for sure. I stayed up until 5 a.m. and made sure my wife got in her car for work okay and then till 7 a.m. when my mother in law picks the kids up. Glad to hear your event turned into nothing as well. Having a false alarm is better than no alarm!

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:14 pm

F them but glad your family is safe.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:54 pm

ProCroation wrote:
Gunsmokin #1, Off subject, how did you like the food at Bungalow Joes?
I thought it was ok. Was kinda slow service. Would give them a try again. My FIL and his wife had wings. They didn't care for them. Kinda dried out.

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:04 pm

The fish sandwich was pretty awesome and so were the loaded fries. Slow service is right. They're new. Hopefully they get their act together soon.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:13 pm

Wife had a fish sandwich there too. She liked it pretty well.

jrobin3360

Post by jrobin3360 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:38 pm

We all try to be prepared for what you & your family experienced & I'm truly happy that your family is safe tonight.
It is better for you that said scumbag left before you were left with no choice but to defend your family. That being said, said scumbag should no longer draw breath. I just hope scumbag never darkens your door again.

Sent via Tapatalk from somewhere in a distant bunker.

Return to “Everything Else”