2014 Deer Season Reports

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
Whootsinator
Little Butthole
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

2014 Deer Season Reports

Post by Whootsinator » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:55 pm

We have a few threads scattered out there with various topics. I'm a functional information junkie, so let's consolidate and push some good info!

Where: Grant County
Meat or Trophy Hunting: Meat
Weapon: BCM AR-15 14.5" 5.56x45mm
Ammo: Barnes VOR-TX 55gr TSX

I'll be hunting in Grant county this year, a bit west of Dry Ridge. This is the first season in four or five years I'm truly excited to get into the woods and get a tasty deer. Never been a trophy hunter. I just don't care how big the buck is, how wide his antlers are spread, or how many points he has. I'm out there to fill the freezer. I've done a lot of research recently on the use of 5.56/.223 for hunting medium game, with the conclusion that I am 100% comfortable using the PROPER ammo on white tail deer. I have full confidence in the Barnes TSX.

I'll update with a fully detailed harvest log for each deer.

EXAMPLE:
County: Grant
Time: Dawn
Weight: 175lbs
Weapon: BCM AR-15 14.5" 5.56x45mm
Ammo: Barnes VOR-TX 55gr TSX
Range: 75 yards
Shot Placement: Right behind shoulder
Terminal Effects: Blew out both lungs and the top of the heart
Distance Deer Traveled After Shot: 30 yards
Pics:
*PIC*
*PIC*
*PIC*

Shot a decent 6 pointer this morning as the sun was coming up, at about 75 yards. My point of aim was right behind the top joint of the shoulder. He ran 30 yards or so, and went down in a heap. When we dressed him out both lungs were trashed, and the top half of the heart was missing.
Be as detailed as you're willing to be. You don't have to follow my format. Post whatever you want, from little tips or notes to full reports. I'll be posting full reports.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Re: 2014 Deer Season Reports

Post by Whootsinator » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:54 pm

Woods are busy... It's been quiet all day, but as the sun has started going down things have livened up. Occasional shots, most of them single.

As I was typing someone let off a string of three shots. I guess they missed.

costellow
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time

Post by costellow » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:11 pm

County: Allen
Time: 8:30ish
Weight: didn't weigh
Weapon: Rem 700 adl .280
Ammo: whatever the FIL gave me lol
Range: 75-100 yards
Shot Placement: Don't remember
Terminal Effects: Killed him...
Distance Deer Traveled After shot: dead right there
Pics: Image
325MOUTguru wrote:In Soviet Russia instructor shoots you.
Tecumseh wrote:When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:15 pm

Good looking deer. So whose was bigger, yours or the wife's? ;)

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:18 pm

County: Henry
Time: 11 am
Weight: ???
Rifle: rem 700 in .308
Distance: 75 yds
Tree stand
Lung shot and she ran about 50 ft before she collapsed.

I'll update with pics and more info later.

This was my first ever deer. Very excited!!!!

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:24 pm

If anyone wants to add in some cooking tips that would be awesome. I took the back straps, tender loin, and rear legs( don't remember what they are called :D ). All in the cooler right now. So what's the best way to process what I got and get it ready for cooking?

costellow
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by costellow » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:29 pm

Rem700 wrote:If anyone wants to add in some cooking tips that would be awesome. I took the back straps, tender loin, and rear legs( don't remember what they are called :D ). All in the cooler right now. So what's the best way to process what I got and get it ready for cooking?

Hams. Back legs are hams. We've processed 5-6 today can't remember exactly. We grinded them up with hamburger meat. Deer chili FTW! As for processing them not sure how to explain it by typing. FIL showed me the ropes today.
325MOUTguru wrote:In Soviet Russia instructor shoots you.
Tecumseh wrote:When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:34 pm

Congratulations! I remember my first deer... it was so small my uncle asked if the spots flew off when I shot it. :mrgreen:

Now when you say 'process', do you just mean prepare and cook? I think of 'processing' a deer as the entire butchering process, which is lengthy and can be best learned from watching in person or viewing videos.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:41 pm

I have already cut the back straps and tender loin. Hams and the rest are in the cooler. Thinking I'll get the hams ground into burger meat and maybe grill the rest. What runs or marinade to use?

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:47 pm

rubs....not runs

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:51 pm

If you process it properly the hams can be separated into their various muscle groups to produce clean roasts. Back straps/tenderloins can be sliced into steaks that I like to cook in a skillet with onions and a couple eggs.

I've never killed and butchered in the same day. You may end up with some tougher meat. Let us know how it turns out, learning is the point of the thread.

Marinades, nothing special. Use whatever you like to use on comparable cuts of beef or pork. I like to marinate in something acidic, or let it sit coated in salt.

Salt method:
http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-tur ... teaks.html

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:14 pm

Rem700 wrote:If anyone wants to add in some cooking tips that would be awesome. I took the back straps, tender loin, and rear legs( don't remember what they are called :D ). All in the cooler right now. So what's the best way to process what I got and get it ready for cooking?
I soak my deer meat in butter milk over night and then rinse off in morning. I like to soak my backstraps in Jalapeno juice for a few hours then throw on grill. Not spicy, but a dam good flavor.
Save burger you don't need and roll with rolling pin and slice and make jerky. Lots of great jerky seasonings out there.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:47 pm

Honestly, there's only about 3 ways to prepare deer meat...

Jerky

Roast...we usually roast from quarters with carrots, potatoes etc...let it sit over night, comes out pretty darn good.

Hamburger... most folks add fat from beef or pork since deer meat is so lean.

No offense to anyone out there, but your wasting your time with special sauces and marinades etc...no matter what, even with a young deer your gonna have a hint of game taste in the meat. U either like it or u don't.

Have fun with it...make a little jerky, maybe a roast or two...and make rest into burger. Burger is easy and more likely to get used.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

bigelowe
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by bigelowe » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:12 pm

check the KDFWR website for a deer processing video/tutorial. I usually get mine done by someone else I know, I may try this if I have a chance ok
Not everyone can be a winner or get a trophy, we are raising a society full of pu**ies

2nd place is the 1st place loser.

Currently looking for that unicorn.

Dashammer

Post by Dashammer » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:23 am

Cook your back strap and tenderloin same as you would do beef or pork, I season and marinade the same. Cut yourself 4 roast out of the hind quarters, make sure to get as much silver off as possible. Then the rest in burger, for chili and burgers (add alittle 70/30 beef to the burgers when you grill them and season too taste). Your two largest roasts crock pot them and add the fixen right in with them. Now for the best, old family tradition when deer is in the freezer. Thaw out a deer roast cut it into small chunks do the same to a lean small beef roast mix together and use a kitchen sink marinade (what ever is laying around and let set over night) Then fondue it on Christmas Eve and or New Years Eve or both for a stand around dinner ,with some spiked eggnog and other finger foods.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:44 pm

County: Henry
Time: 11 am
Weight: ???
Rifle: rem 700 in .308
Ammo: Winchester Super X 150 grain
Distance: 75 yds
Tree stand
Lung shot and she ran about 100 ft before she collapsed.

I'll update with pics and more info later.

This was my first ever deer. Very excited!!!!

View from the stand. She came up the left side and i didnt have a shot until she made it to the clearing on the right side of the picture.

So this was my first hunt. I showed up about 2 on saturday and we immediately got in it. Sat it a ground blind for about 2.5 hrs and saw and heard nothing. My hunting partner/guide was tired (he had been out since 6 that morning) and he headed back to camp. I satyed for a bit and then walked some trails to try and get a lay of the land. It was nearing dusk and i walked one more trail and saw one down in a valley. I had no shot and it took off as i tried to get closer. Saw one more on my walk back, but just caught a flash of the tail as it bolted through the woods. Next morning we were in the same ground blind at 6. I was hoping that first light would bring us some goodness. It was a bit chilly and no wind. About 8:30 my hunting partner was a bit fed up and headed back to camp. Again i stayed for a bit (thirty mins). I made my way backl to camp and he was headed out to a diff part of the property. I headed to a tree stand i saw the evening before when i was on my hike. Got in the stand about 8:50. I was getting ready to pack in and head back beacuse i had not seen or heard anything. Told my self 10 more mins......a few mins later here she comes up through the woods. I could see her to my left coming up the hill side but didnt have a shot. She made her way up to a clearing in front of me about 75 yds out. Adrenaline was kicking in hard as this was the first time i had a live creature in my sights (i can kill paper all day but this was entirely new to me). She was moving slow just meandering along and would stop every so often. So i watched and waited for a clean shot. Kept telling myself to breath and relax. Finally she stopped, i got on target and BOOM!!!! She did an about face and headed back the way she came. I kinda panicked thinking i only wounded her and now i gotta go track her. I walked to where i thought was the point of impact and looked around for blood. Couldnt see any. I found a few tracks heading back down the hillside and i followed. COuld not find her!!! I went back to camp to grab my buddy but he was not their. I headed back to my spot and started looking more. Finally found a blood trail and followed it down the hill about 100 ft. and there she was deader than a door nail. Finally found my buddy and we loaded her on the ATV and went back to camp to cut her up. I had a great time and was happy to bring home some meat. Ill def be out again next season!

irishrob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by irishrob » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:19 pm

Always had good luck when I stayed in the woods while everyone else was heading back to camp for lunch. They would jump them up & run them to me in my stand. Every deer I've killed was between 10 AM & 2 PM

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:35 pm

irishrob wrote:Always had good luck when I stayed in the woods while everyone else was heading back to camp for lunch. They would jump them up & run them to me in my stand. Every deer I've killed was between 10 AM & 2 PM
As my guide/hunting partner said when we got her back to camp.....during the rut.....there is never a "bad" time to be out hunting. They can come from anywhere at anytime.

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by rustynuts » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:37 pm

Congratulations Rem.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:40 pm

irishrob wrote:Always had good luck when I stayed in the woods while everyone else was heading back to camp for lunch. They would jump them up & run them to me in my stand. Every deer I've killed was between 10 AM & 2 PM
During the rut you can never predict what any buck will do. I have seen as much action at noon as a have at dusk and dawn during rut.
When I go in the stand/blind, Im there for the long haul.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:44 pm

Congrats Rem!

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:05 pm

Way to go Rem. Healthy doe you got there
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by rustynuts » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:07 pm

PDM wrote: Healthy doe you got there
Not any more.

:llama:

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:08 pm

:lol:
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Eireguy
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Eireguy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:13 pm

We got a few this year . We are meat hunters tho . I havent bought a steak in 7-8 years
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1415646747308.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1415646733269.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1415646711135.jpg

Return to “Everything Else”