Quick question about a HVAC quote I got

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Quick question about a HVAC quote I got

Post by ProCroation » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:21 pm

My wife got a flyer in the mail for a free estimate from a local HVAC company. She called and scheduled an appointment to get an estimate.

They quoted $5,528 for replacing the a/c unit and the furnace. It would move my furnace from under the house/crawl space to upstairs in the house. It's financed for a year.

In the realm of home HVAC...I have no earthly idea if this is a good price at all. Worth it or not?
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Re: Quick question about a HVAC quote I got

Post by 86 slo-vo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:23 pm

Depends on the unit that is being put in and the amount of work to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marcus wrote:KAC, marrying above their league since 2012.

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:23 pm

"Carrier comfort 2 ton air conditioner up to 14 SEER with matching indoor coil, carrier basic 70,000 BTU 80% efficiency gas furnace, new ground stabilization pad, technician safety disconnect box, new refrigerant lines, all necessary duct transitions to match up to existing ducts, furnish and install necessary equipment to convert one return to a filter grill, and close off one return line. Clean up jobsite and recycle old equipment. 15 year parts and labor warranty."
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Tyler » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:17 am

May be decent, I'll check more closely when I get to work.

Push for a 95% furnace at the same price at least.
Height Supremacist

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:26 am

Quote doesn't sound too good or bad. Esp depending on what kinda re-routing they have to do on the duct work. Like Tyler said, push for a more efficient furnace at the same price. What size house? Just to make sure a 2 ton unit can handle it. I put a 2 ton in our old house (1450 sq ft tri-level) and it worked ok but in the worst of the summer it ran constantly and the house was still a little too warm. I knew i needed a 2.5 ton but i got it cheap and knew we would be selling soon.

Also just wondering why you are moving the unit inside instead of leaving in the crawl? Just curious.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:32 am

My new son in law does HVAC but I don't see them much. He is always looking for side jobs if anyone ever needs someone. He works during the day at Martinrea doing that stuff and will figure out whatever you need.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:53 am

80% is a bit low now-a-days. Most new ones I've seen are 90%+
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:09 am

Rem700 wrote:Quote doesn't sound too good or bad. Esp depending on what kinda re-routing they have to do on the duct work. Like Tyler said, push for a more efficient furnace at the same price. What size house? Just to make sure a 2 ton unit can handle it. I put a 2 ton in our old house (1450 sq ft tri-level) and it worked ok but in the worst of the summer it ran constantly and the house was still a little too warm. I knew i needed a 2.5 ton but i got it cheap and knew we would be selling soon.

Also just wondering why you are moving the unit inside instead of leaving in the crawl? Just curious.
That was actually their idea at first. Or at least what my wife relayed to me during the estimate. By the time I got home they had changed and decided not to relocate it.

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:16 am

Rem700 wrote:Quote doesn't sound too good or bad. Esp depending on what is inda re-routing they have to do on the duct work. Like Tyler said, push for a more efficient furnace at the same price. What size house? Just to make sure a 2 ton unit can handle it. I put a 2 ton in our old house (1450 sq ft tri-level) and it worked ok but in the worst of the summer it ran constantly and the house was still a little too warm. I knew i needed a 2.5 ton but i got it cheap and knew we would be selling soon.

My house is a 1 floor, 3 bedroom 1100 sq ft if that makes any difference about 2 ton or 2.5 ton ac units. Currently my house has a 2 ton unit.

It should also be noted that I dont actually need any of this stuff. my ac is cold and heat is hot. She only agreed to the estimate because it was free and shes worried because this house is 30 years old.

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Tyler » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:30 am

If you have an old unit that's working fine, don't waste your time or money on replacing until you have to. The units produced today are shit compared to 30 years ago.

If you want to save money, I may be able to get you a system at my cost if you have someone to do the work.

When you do make a change, I would go for the highest efficiency you can afford.

Also, let me know who you're having do the install and I can tell you if they're worth dealing with.
Height Supremacist

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:36 am

Tyler wrote:If you have an old unit that's working fine, don't waste your time or money on replacing until you have to. The units produced today are shit compared to 30 years ago.

If you want to save money, I may be able to get you a system at my cost if you have someone to do the work.

When you do make a change, I would go for the highest efficiency you can afford.

Also, let me know who you're having do the install and I can tell you if they're worth dealing with.
Very sound advice. If it aint broke, dont fix it

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:42 pm

Fo shizzle, don't replace that nizzle

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 334 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:47 pm

Rem700 wrote:
Tyler wrote:If you have an old unit that's working fine, don't waste your time or money on replacing until you have to. The units produced today are shit compared to 30 years ago.

Very sound advice. If it aint broke, dont fix it
I talked myself into this. I have original gas heat from the mid 70's that works FANTASTIC! But no central ac. I decided to just use 2 window units (as much as I hate them) until I HAVE to change everything down the road.

Return to “Everything Else”