County deputy questions

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
Rescue9
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

County deputy questions

Post by Rescue9 » Tue May 19, 2015 3:58 pm

After 15 years in the fire service, I think its time for a career change. I'm going to apply for a position at the county sheriffs office. Other than going to eastern for training, can anyone give me some advice on what training I can work on and certifications I can attain to be a better officer? I'm familiar with DHS online training so anything along those lines would also be helpful. Thanks!

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: County deputy questions

Post by WLJ » Tue May 19, 2015 4:23 pm

Jefferson County Sheriff? If so I can put you in touch with a friend of mine.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Rescue9

Post by Rescue9 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:03 pm

Hopkins county.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by justang1997 » Wed May 20, 2015 1:18 am

As far as I know you dont even need to go to eku to be a deputy. Do you want tips to be a better hiring candidate or tips at being a better officer?

s_hagan77

Post by s_hagan77 » Wed May 20, 2015 7:14 am

If your wanting tips on being a better cop you could do what I did, get in touch and start doing ride alongs, I rode for about a year with different officers to try and get my feet wet.
Seth Hagan

Rescue9

Post by Rescue9 » Wed May 20, 2015 8:47 am

justang1997 wrote:As far as I know you dont even need to go to eku to be a deputy. Do you want tips to be a better hiring candidate or tips at being a better officer?
Both really.... But I'm not looking to fluff my resume or anything. My objective is to get hired while my goal is to be a better officer through any training and information I can acquire.

Good thought Hagan. I forgot about that opportunity.

gaston_kalash

Post by gaston_kalash » Wed May 20, 2015 9:59 am

A college degree in criminal justice helps from any accredited college. Also once you get hired on they'll most likely send you to the "police academy" (criminal justice center) which next to EKU if that's what your asking about. I wanted to get into law enforcement myself but can not support my lifestyle on there income. FYI our men and women in law enforement are way under payed especially for what they do. Around here in Somerset I believe they start out at around 20k a year which is less than half of what I currently make. Let me also say I didn't want to be a cop for the money but I still got to pay the bills.

Sent from somewhere over yonder.
SI JE PUIS

gaston_kalash

Post by gaston_kalash » Wed May 20, 2015 10:01 am

I should also say I have a degree in criminal justice and I have visited the center in Richmond. Also was in the explorer program for a little bit.

SI JE PUIS

s_hagan77

Post by s_hagan77 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:06 am

I had started school for it, doing ride alongs and all that....opportunity came up to start working at the distillery and I took it, I think they start around 32k here in owensboro, I'm currently at 49k with this job. And I don't have to deal with drama and getting shot at. I agree with gaston, wasn't wanting to do it for the money, but we all have families to provide for too
Seth Hagan

gaston_kalash

Post by gaston_kalash » Wed May 20, 2015 10:09 am

Most departments around here also use the ksp standards so if you have tattoos (which I do) they frown upon that. I wanted to get into the fish and wildlife part of law enforcement but until they change there tattoo policy I'll never become one.

SI JE PUIS

gaston_kalash

Post by gaston_kalash » Wed May 20, 2015 10:20 am

Some other options I've personally considered is the national guard as a MP or security forces in the air national guard but I don't believe I could pass MEPs because of some stupid little health issues I have. Just something you might could consider.

SI JE PUIS

Return to “Everything Else”